Batman Begins Widescreen DVD Review

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
j_garcia said:
I thought the best use of surround was when he had inhaled the halucinogen in the temple and you could hear Liam Neeson's voice throughout the room. The bat scene was pretty balanced on my system, so that doesn't sound quite right.
Yeah it was weaker on my system too.

Maybe your inhalling the halucinohen J_garcia?????:rolleyes:

Sheep

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Could just be that I had it cranked up so loud that it didn't matter that the surrounds were weaker :eek:

I didn't like it so I didn't inhale it... - Bill Clinton :D

Last edited:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

They were pretty true to the spirit of the books, but there were a few changes that probably have the hardcore geeks up in arms. First, the Liam Neeson character (although superb) is definately not a part of the original comic origins of Batman. Miller did have Wayne travel to Tibet to learn a secret fighting style, but I don't recall Raja Ghule in any of the books.

Secondly, in the new film Wayne isn't a science nerd at all. In fact, he pretty much doesn't understand a word Fox says about how the gadgets work. In the comics Bruce Wayne has a brilliant scientific mind.

Also, the Holmes character is invented just for this film. No Vicki Vale for Wayne here.

Of course, none of this matters at all to me. I loved the flick. Too often a movie based on a comic is criticized for deviatings from the books. But comics and films are very different art forms, and what works in one may not work in the others. For example, I can't fathom how LotR was criticized for omitting large sections of the book- even with what they did include the extended series runs 12 hours for three films!

IMOHO, Batman Begins is just about perfect considering the source material. It's almost as good as Spiderman 2, which I consider the best comic book based film in history.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I criticize LOTR because it modified the story in certain areas, not because of the huge, sometimes glaring omissions. Some of those omissions though, are becasue they don't add a whole lot to the story (like the first 1/4 of the first book, but it would have been cool to see Tom Bombadil), so some are understandable. If they had left some of that stuff, it would have had to have been more like 4 movies and 20+ hrs. The combination of all the EEs running time is just under 11 1/2 hrs.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
I bought it the other day and have watched two nites in a row. Great flick! Makes the others look that much more campy. I will have to admit that it would be hard to cast a better Joker than Nicholson, however. He was perfect. "This town needs an enima."
I love the bass in the new movie. My new VTF-3 rattled everything in the house! My surrounds did fine on the bats scene as well as Liams voice during the ninja scene, also. Great sound!
I will familiarize myself more with the movie and use it for testing new HD tvs:D Great dark scenes that will show up the ability to differentiate the blacks and dark greys.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep. Lots of good dark scenes. If you want reference material to test with though, Sin City is probably it for recent stuff.

I went to pick up the 2 disc version at lunch because it was on sale at Target and they were OUT. DOH.

IMO, the first one is still the best one :)
"Do I look like I'm joking?"

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

j_garcia said:
I criticize LOTR because it modified the story in certain areas, not because of the huge, sometimes glaring omissions.
Hmmm...I don't believe I've ever seen a movie based upon a book I've read that didn't modify it, usually to a great degree. That's part and parcel to the two art forms being very different.

Did you not enjoy LotR? I think the trilogy is superior overall even to the original Star Wars Trilogy. And I mean that as very high praise indeed.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Rob Babcock said:
Hmmm...I don't believe I've ever seen a movie based upon a book I've read that didn't modify it, usually to a great degree. That's part and parcel to the two art forms being very different.
Yes, I enjoyed all of the movies and own all of the EEs, though Two Towers was actually a little boring in the theater (EE was better). It was to be expected that the movies would differ from the books, but I don't agree that it is somehow necessary to make certain changes or leave certain things out. Jackson did capture the feel very well and presented very good depictions of the key points of the books, I just feel it could have been a little better, and I only say that because I really enjoyed the books.

I'd agree that it is better than the SW trilogy.

F

forumtroll

Enthusiast
Sin City for reference? That movie had the worst dialogue editing I've heard. The noise floor would rise noticably during dialoge and sounded as if the audio bandwith was used for the constanst bass. It sounded as though it was a 64k mp3 or a vocorder (sp?).

Batman Begins also suffers from rising noise floor, although not nearly as bad as Sin City. The movie is pretty good but not reference material.

Both those movies would not the 150 test.

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
Video not Audio

They are talking about video reference material hence the talk of the blacks in the picture. Not audio.

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
I was actually dissapointed with the video quality.

Anyone else notice?

nova

nova

Full Audioholic
Rob Babcock said:
They were pretty true to the spirit of the books, but there were a few changes that probably have the hardcore geeks up in arms. First, the Liam Neeson character (although superb) is definately not a part of the original comic origins of Batman. Miller did have Wayne travel to Tibet to learn a secret fighting style, but I don't recall Raja Ghule in any of the books.
Yes, from what I can recall of my youth,...Ra's Al Ghul did not appear until 1970 or 1971 and was a product of Dennis O'Neil (writer) and Neal Adams (illustrator).
I'd have to go dig through all my comics to say for sure. Big Batman fan from wayback :D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I'll also bite, and bite back with thats horrid grammar. :rolleyes: :p

SheepStar

F

forumtroll

Enthusiast
Batman Begins would NOT pass the 150 test...Sorry

The 150 test is a reference to the s-150 speaker from M&K.

Almost all "audio reference" movies were mastered by the s-150 speaker system. Movies like: Saving Private Ryan, the Star Wars series, The Harry Potter series, Toy Story I&II, The Matrix etc. etc.

Mixes sound either really good or really bad on s-150's.

What's really sad is that a lot of the recent movies are suffering from really high noise floor during dialogue. They're relying too much on digital software to lower the noise floor automatically and as a result are introducing artifacts and/or vocoder like dialogue.

Checkout http://www.mksound.com/ for more info.

There are really good deals to be had with M&K equipment. M&K isn't really well known outside of the industry and as a result many of the stores that carry M&K will drop the lineup or make it special order only, as a result, retailers discount the equipment to near cost or cost when they decide to drop the lineup and replace the lineup with more popular marques.

I've paid cost for 2/3's of my M&K equipment at Magnolia HiFi. Their stuff is great at MSRP but even better with a 50% discount.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sheep said:
I'll also bite, and bite back with thats horrid grammar. :rolleyes: :p

SheepStar

My grammar is excellent. Don't make me real bad hurt you! :mad:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
My grammar is excellent. Don't make me real bad hurt you! :mad:
Not you, forumtroll.

I speak you know good is.

I must say, it really sounds like you work for M&K....pushing some product?

SheepStar

F

forumtroll

Enthusiast
I don't work for M&K, but if I were an audio engineer, I'd work with M&K speakers.:D

I'm really impressed by them. I've gone to stereo boutiques to try other marques but I have yet to be impressed by any other brand except Dech Tech (subwoofers). The brand I've least been impressed with has been Paradigm. Ironically a friend has an older pair of Paradigm and I think they sound pretty good, however they aren't ported and sound way better OFF axis. There also really expensive for what you get.

I'm also a pretty big fan of B&K amps. I just wish the panel would go completely dim/off.

I'm an automotive designer. We use certain brands/products because they provide characteristics that aren't found in competitor products i.e. prismacolor colored pencils, verithins, copic markers, Nupastes, webril pads, chartpak tape etc. etc. M&K--I imagine is used in the industry for the same reasons.

I don't get a lot of free time, and so when I do, I like to watch movies. HT isn't a super serious hobby but I do like quality.

BTW anybody else going to Depeche Mode tonight at the Staples Center? I'm so stoked.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've got M&K speakers and am very happy with the clarity of sound. I've never owned any other brands to compare them with. When I was in the speaker room where I bought them, I listened to about everything they had and I liked the sound of these the most. It didnt' hurt that they are a professional studio standard either.

I rarely see any reviews on their products, but the ones I have seen have always been very positive.

Jeff

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Jack Hammer said:
I've got M&K speakers and am very happy with the clarity of sound. I've never owned any other brands to compare them with. When I was in the speaker room where I bought them, I listened to about everything they had and I liked the sound of these the most. It didnt' hurt that they are a professional studio standard either.

I rarely see any reviews on their products, but the ones I have seen have always been very positive.

Jeff
I agree. There is hardly any M&K reviews. Secrets has some, but thats it really.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis