mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Well I did not know where to put this one so it ends up in the vent.

2 weeks ago my mother decided to get rid of her old blue bath in the bathroom. So we had to remove the old ceramic tiles on the wall for the shower, then when we removed the bath; we had to cut some drywall and the first row of ceramic tiles on the floor. Now since we had no other tiles of the same canvas we ripped it all off. Then my mother decided that the vanity was outdated (in fact, it was a long time ago lol).

So we ended up with a complete bathroom renovation project. A thing that was supposed to cost about 500$ finished with 2500$. But that's the point I want to talk about. After nearly completion, this bathroom looks like we spent double the budget. It's not the first time we renovate but I didn't think that with a "small" budget, we could make something that is magazine-good-looking (?). It might not approach your beautiful houses but I'm way proud of what I accomplished with what little we had. Anyways, it gives me some experience for my next home theater build :D

Since my mom doesn't have any taste for decoration past year 1987 (lol), she let me choose all the colors/textures/finish. I've always been a fan of decorating a contemporary home (heck, I even like to go clothes shopping with my gf)(no I'm not gay lol).

Ceramic tiles: 400$
Bath: 400$
Custom vanity: 1000$
Labour (mostly our neighbour who's a retired home builder): 500$
Drywall and other supplies (plumbing, borders, lighting & other stuff): 200$

Here are some pictures of the nearly finished project. Missing the custom-made mirror and decorations. Room is 5x10. Sorry for the quality of the pictures. My camera is getting old.

Overall (with flash):

Pan without flash:

Custom make vanity. I chose the design, color and coutertop (including "Corian" border). Look at the amazing color I ended up with:

Last edited:
jwenthold99

jwenthold99

Full Audioholic
Wow, looks good. I am looking forward to getting a house so I can have these "projects" :)

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Just finished installing the creamic strip over the vanity (still missing the grout):

During renovations (only picture I have) My mom's friend (72 years old!!) and I:

Other pictures:

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The bathroom looks beautiful and I like the tile and countertop a lot. That's what I am looking for to do the floors in my house. So can I ask what brand/model of tile? From the picture it looks very much like Mohawk Nature series and either the Almond or Nut color. That's what I am currently leaning toward yet have not had a chance to actually see it in person (it always looks good in a photo).

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
The bathroom looks beautiful and I like the tile and countertop a lot. That's what I am looking for to do the floors in my house. So can I ask what brand/model of tile? From the picture it looks very much like Mohawk Nature series and either the Almond or Nut color. That's what I am currently leaning toward yet have not had a chance to actually see it in person (it always looks good in a photo).
The pictures doesn't do justice to the tile at all. The finish is kinda matte like a real rock texture. Not the usual tile you see in the stores. We have a special ceramic dealer here. He orders directly from europe so this model is not even on sale in north america yet. I can give the guy a call if you want because I don't remember the brand and model. When I choose something, it catches my eye. Then I ask: Is that a good product? If so, I look at the price and if it's reasonable I buy.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Looks good Mo! Just the past couple of weeks I've been doing some bathroom renovation in our Master bathroom, but not quite the same scale that you immersed yourself in. Merely replaced the outdated sink and installed a new toilet, but I too learned a good deal in the process, not really having much experience in the way of plumbing.

Yet, the bug has bitten, and now I see your pictures and I think that maybe we're not done quite yet... :p

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
very ,very nice job ....and

the speakers and HT blend in so well you can't even see them.

No seriously I have done some amature tile work and your job and end result is impressive -- THUMBS UP

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I like it too. :) So that's what a $1000 custom vanity looks like, huh? Smokin'!
The light suites my tastes as well. $500 for labour is quite a bargain, and the work looks first rate.

Why are you wearing a mask in the pic? Was the old guy breaking wind? :D

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
I like it too. :) So that's what a $1000 custom vanity looks like, huh? Smokin'!
The light suites my tastes as well. $500 for labour is quite a bargain, and the work looks first rate.

Why are you wearing a mask in the pic? Was the old guy breaking wind? :D
the labour as I said is my neighbor who is a great friend of us. Retired from construction. So every time we had to do some renovation work we call him. He did the welding for plumbing, some ceramic tiles, dry wall and joints.

I was wearing a mask because we decided to remove the old vanity first and then remove the old cement (from the old ceramic). Turns out we used a grinder, hence the mask.

That old guy is friggin awesome by the way. He does it all! Nothing stops him. He ows several machines and he does landwork at his cottage. He built a lake and a waterfall, and a cottage from his own hands (which are the size of a bear paw btw lol). He owns a "glass shop" and is a retired engeneer. I have a lot of love and respect for that man. He's like my second dad.

Last edited:
Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
Wow - great work there - looks super nice. You wouldn't happen to have a pic or two of the room prior to remodel for comparison purposes?

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Wow - great work there - looks super nice. You wouldn't happen to have a pic or two of the room prior to remodel for comparison purposes?
Unfortunately not... like I said the low quality picture of the room deconstructed is kind of the only one I have. Let's say the room was up when they made the house... 27 years ago :p

Blue bath, white and blue tiles, ugly white vanity... no style at all...

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
Nice work man - just one Q: where's your mirror? ;)

Seriously though, I need some tile work done, come on over. :p

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Nice work man - just one Q: where's your mirror? ;)

Seriously though, I need some tile work done, come on over. :p
Mirror is on it's way. Frame is ready... just have to wait for the mirror and up it goes. I'll take a pic. I guess it will be sometimes this week.

Well I could come over but I'm better at drinkin' beer and watching the tiles being installed by my neighbor! :p

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Very nice indeed but why wasnt the tile run up higher in the shower? I would think the drywall would just be completely trashed after a while. Not to mention you cant really clean it.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Very nice indeed but why wasnt the tile run up higher in the shower? I would think the drywall would just be completely trashed after a while. Not to mention you cant really clean it.
New tile is for decoration purposes only. We rarely take baths (maybe once a month for my mom and twice a year for me (when I get the flu lol). We kept the shower to wash the dog in the bath hehe. We have a complete shower downstairs (the one we use).

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
New tile is for decoration purposes only. We rarely take baths (maybe once a month for my mom and twice a year for me (when I get the flu lol).
I thought people stopped bathing once a year back in the 15th century :p I dunno what it is about me but the first thing that always seems to come to mind when I see a product in a store or a new house is "Now how the heck do they expect you to clean that!" Yes... I am sortof a neat freak. I'd have the paint scrubbed off the walls in a month which is why i asked :D

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Well here we are... 2 weeks later. I told you that we had to wait for the new miror from my mom's friend who owns a glass shop (FREEBIE!!!) along with the custom wooden frame. Grout was finished as well but didn't take pics before. Enjoy!

Vertical shot:

Horizontal shot:

Oops! Somebody got in the way! :p

HMMM! Photo shoot got a little out of hand :D

majorloser

majorloser

And then the camera was dropped and destroyed as the new mirror started to steam up....:eek::rolleyes::cool:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis