mwc

Audioholic Intern
I have a Denon AVR-3805 setup this way:
1. All speakers set to small, subwoofer-yes
2. Crossover at 120
3. EQ off
4. Cross over set to off on sub

Here is the problem:
I get a huge peak (10db+) at 63Hz according to the RS meter and the Rives Audio Test CD 2 (tones are corrected values for RS meter).

But get this, the peak at 63Hz is coming from the mains. Shouldn't there be little or nothing in the 63Hz range coming from the mains with the crossover set to 120 and mains set to small? This happens even if I run the tone and turn the volume control all the way down on the sub. Could there be something wrong with my receiver?

Any thoughts/comments/solutions appreciated.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The typical high pass filter used by receivers is 2nd order (12 dB/octave) so the response will be down about 12 dB at 63 Hz - a big drop but still significant output. It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with the bass management at all.

Peaks and Nulls are usually caused by room modes. Experiment with speaker positioning to try to reduce the peak. If that doesn't improve things, you may have to use the EQ to notch out the peak.

annunaki

annunaki

This definitely sounds like a speaker placement issue. If one is calibrating at 75db for reference level, and there is say a 15db room mode at 63 hz. One would still see a 3db peak at 63hz even with the crossover at 120hz. Depending upon the amount of gain caused by the room mode, it could be even higher. Experiment with your speaker positioning. Moving the out from the wall by a even foot or so can work wonders for response.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis