Bass Management on the Denon DVD 2900

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>I have a question/potential problem I'd like to run by the staff here. &nbsp;Today I purchased a Denon DVD-2200; yeah, I'd have loved to have the 2900, but I got a good price and I just couldn't really stretch my budget for the spendier one just now. &nbsp;At any rate, I think the bass management works the same for both.

Here's my issue: &nbsp;I set all my speakers to &quot;SMALL&quot; and sub to &quot;ON&quot;. &nbsp;There's a &quot;FILTER&quot; setting and a choice of &quot;ON&quot; or &quot;OFF&quot; to the &quot;SW +10&quot; button. &nbsp;The problem (in my admittedly VERY limited listening) is that DVD-A &amp; SACD don't have the same LFE setting. &nbsp;DVD-A seems to sound better w/ the &quot;SW +10&quot; set to &quot;ON&quot; and turned down to about +5. &nbsp;But that's a bit bass heavy for SACD.

It looks almost like you should be able to set each disc format differently, but if you &nbsp;can I can'f figure out how. &nbsp;I've only just begun to mess with it, but am I missing something? &nbsp;If I adjust it to where SACD is perfect, my DVD-A discs sound a tad thin.

I imagine I could set MACRO keys to change them w/one button, or if nothing else I'd just buy an Outlaw ICBM. &nbsp;But I hate to do that when the Denon features digital BM. &nbsp;At all costs, I want to avoid having to turn the FPTV on each time I need to change disc types!

Like I said, I'm not too worried yet, as I've only had it for a day. &nbsp;But I sure could use some advice since you guys know the Denon DVD-2900/2200 pretty well.

Thanks.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Rob;

That sounds about right. &nbsp;Did you download Denons white paper about this issue? &nbsp;Also, the DVD-2900 does not have an assignable &quot;+10dB bass boost&quot; in its set-up to my knowledge. &nbsp;I personally could not get my systems bass response right in the &quot;Filter On&quot; position. &nbsp;If your speakers can handle full range, you may wish to turn it to &quot;Off&quot; and see what happens.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>Thanks, Gene. &nbsp;I haven't downloaded the white paper, but I will. &nbsp;And I haven't really had time to do any experimenting yet- that's the curse of buying a new toy right before you have to go to work (3 x 12 hr days...
).

I will try the filter off, and so some listening.

BTW, do you suppose it would work to use the MX-700 and program macro's to readjust the levels for each disc type? &nbsp;Like a DVD-A macro key and one for SACD?

Thanks for the input.

Rob</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis