Bass crossover of Yamaha receiver

G

<font color='#000000'>hello,

Not quite sure how the Bass output works. For RX series, I can go to 2-channel and set bass output to &quot;BOTH&quot; to get the bass signal to the subwoofer.  
My question is:  does it really mean &quot;BOTH&quot;, i.e., full low frequency (below 90Hz) to BOTH main speakers AND the subwoofer?  or just the subwoofer?

models concerned are:  RX-V496, RX-V1, RX-Z1, RX-V2400

Thanks,

abe

ps. I have an active subwoofer which has its own crossover frequency control and volume control.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Abe,

BOTH is a charecteristic Yamaha only setting where all bass and the LFE component is diverted to both the sub and the main speakers, comes in real handy if you have good bass capable large towers and ideally a seperate power amp for main out. It is like having three subs at once. The other benefit of the BOTH setting is that in 2 channel mode, the sub doesnt get cut off.

If you were to set your mains to LARGE and your sub to SUB, then any time there is a sub 90Hz signal in either left or right channel, they would be transmitted. If you set your mains to SMALL then all the sub 90Hz signal would be diverted to the sub.</font>

P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Switch back and forth between the two. When set to both there will definitely be a boost in your bass response but the degree will depend on the main's bass response ans sub's capabilities and settings.

I left mine on both but set the sub level lower by about 8db.

Yamahalover (or anyone else) do you know if the individual speaker level settings on the Yamaha apply to DD, DTS and PCM?</font>

U

Ultra Nexus

Audioholic Intern
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
PaulF : <font color='#000000'>Yamahalover (or anyone else) do you know if the individual speaker level settings on the Yamaha apply to DD, DTS and PCM?</font>
<font color='#000000'>I`m almost certainly think so.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Ok guys...what setting should I choose when my Front L/R's are tower speakers (Paradigm Monitor 90p) with built in powered subwoofers....?

There is an LFE in on these speakers so they act as my subwoofer.... but would I get &quot;double&quot; bass or cancalation by sending the signalls to the LFE on the Towers and to terminals.... If I only chose fronts the I will still get the full range of the L/R channels... but not the LFE's.....  

? A bit confused - Dave</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Thanks Yamahaluver, that is precisely the information I am looking for.

My main's are bookshelf monitors that goes down to 35Hz and my active subwoofer frequency response ranges from 25-150Hz.   According to Gene's guidelines, I probably should set sub's crossover to 50Hz (the lowest setting) and set main's to 'LARGE'  and tweek sub volume control (or the one in the reciever)......   Man,  contrary to Gene's complaint, we have way too many 'bass management' options here!  

Abe</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Abe, the irony is that the more bass management options you have, the more chance that you'll be able to set and forget.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Abe;

Regardless of the specs you have on your bookshelf speakers, most cannot produce low frequencies as well as your dedicated subwoofer would. &nbsp;Without knowing specifics about your speakers it is hard to tell you exactly what to do. &nbsp;However, I would suggest setting all speakers to small and crossing over your sub between 60-80Hz. &nbsp;This should provide uniform system bass response and save amplifier headroom and dynamic range of your bookshelf speakers.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Gene,

It seems to me that redirecting all the LF below 90Hz to sub is a 'waste' of the woofer on the mains which can go down to 35Hz.  

Here is the manufacture specs for my Dynaudio mains: http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/contour/spec25/s25spec.htm
and my PSB Subsonic6 sub: http://www.psbspeakers.com/s/ImageSpecs.html

Should I set the main to 'LARGE' &nbsp;to allow as much bass to the mains as possible, or, set to 'SAMLL' to divert all the bass to the sub?  

Abe</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Abe;

Dynaudio makes phenominal speakers with excellent bass extension, but they are still a bookshelf. &nbsp;My advice to you since you seem to be powering them with a receiver is to set them small and cross over the sub at around 60-80Hz. &nbsp;Set the bass out to sub and try it.

Also try setting to large and sub to both and see which you prefer.

There is no absolute answer for every application. &nbsp;I recommend experimenting to see what works best for you.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General

Take Gene's advice and set your Bookshelf to SMALL and see the dynamics improve vastly, let the sub do the high dispersion/distortion inducing work of moving air and let your Dynaudio do what it does best, great mids and properly imaged highs.

David,

Set your Mains to LARGE and your sub setting on the receiver to NONE.

Paul F.

As far to my knowledge the individual settings are retained regardless of the mode selected, correct me if I am wrong.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Gene/Yamahaluver,

You are right!   I played around with sub/main settings and found the main='small' + bass='sub' (or 'both') combo is the best for 2-channels.    The bass is much much easier to calibrate and tighter than main='large' + bass='both', which has a booming at mid-bass that I couldn't get ride of.   I set the crossover on sub to ~65Hz in case someone may find this piece of info helpful.

I did notice that the sound is a little forward with the 'optimized' setting, but not at all uncomfortable since the Dyns are laid back by nature.  I will keep tweaking until find the absolute best for my system.  Thanks for all the great help.  You guys are great!

Abe</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General

You might like to bypass the sub's crossover when watching movies by setting the crossver to max position on your sub. To tame the forward sound from your Dynaudio, try placing them closer to the wall and slightly toed in and with a 5 degree upward tilt.</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi,
I was looking at the 14 page product sheet on the Z9 as it pertains to crossovers and the sub. &nbsp;
The specs seem to have all the THX UltraII features (and then some) and I can faintly see THX on the faceplate, but I was wondering if as part of that neat YPAO if it allowed you to identify if you had a THX ULTRA II certified sub or one that goes to 20hz. &nbsp;
That would take alot of the crossover stuff much easier if you gave the job to the Z9.

Peter m.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis