Basic surround positioning question

W

wasabi

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I have a rectangular room I'd like to set up for home theater. The room is 24 feet long by 14 feet wide, 7-8 foot ceiling. The main listening/watching spot is a couch sitting about 12-14 feet from the TV and main speakers. I have the option of placing the two surround speakers directly lateral to where I sit or in the back corners of the room. Which is the preferred spot?</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>My room is exactly the same size as yours except that it has no back wall, I have tried both positioning methods and have settled for the Yamaha reccomended method of placing them behind and above the listening position for a nice diffused sound.</font>

S

seabiscuit

Enthusiast
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
wasabi : <font color='#000000'>Which is the preferred spot?.</font>
<font color='#000080'>My set-up is virtually identical. &nbsp;I placed the surrounds on 24&quot; stands, 3' behind the couch facing directly into the room.

Excellent.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I have a Yanaha 6.1 system. I put the surrounds about a foot behind the main listener's heads and above by two feet. The rear surrounds I have directly behind about 3 feet back.</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Surround speakers, especially dipoles and bipoles, sound best when placed at the sides than at the back. &nbsp;The dipole's are supposed to radiate towards the back walls and bounce back to you, giving a non-directional feel of the ambient sounds.</font>

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Here's a novel idea. How bout try both and see which sounds best in your room. Have a partner move the speakers as you listen, then find the ideal spot based on what sounds best to you.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis