Basic Subwoofer placement Question

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
Hello, all. I have a simple question. My rear-ported subwoofer is placed in the corner of my room, about 16 inches from the rear wall. I have it slightly toed-in toward the prime listening position (pic attached). Is there any real need to toe it in? Could I instead have it parallel to the side wall? That would put it 16 inches from the rear wall and 6 or 7 inches from the side wall. I suppose I could answer my own question by moving it and listening, but I wanted to get a general idea before I went through the trouble of running Audyssey again.
subwoofer placement.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sub crawl!

Tried and true technique utilized by a lot of us here. It works. Physics is on your side with this method. The best placement for your sub often will not be where you might think. The room is in charge and you're at its mercy. If you use a crossover of 80 hz or lower that will minimize any localization issues.

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
Sub crawl!

Tried and true technique utilized by a lot of us here. It works. Physics is on your side with this method. The best placement for your sub often will not be where you might think. The room is in charge and you're at its mercy. If you use a crossover of 80 hz or lower that will minimize any localization issues.
Thanks. I did do a crawl, and that's how I arrived at that corner. Just wondering whether the toe-in is necessary or not. Reckon I'll just turn the thing parallel to the wall, listen, and compare.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks. I did do a crawl, and that's how I arrived at that corner. Just wondering whether the toe-in is necessary or not. Reckon I'll just turn the thing parallel to the wall, listen, and compare.
Toe in likely won't affect anything when it comes to bass frequencies as they're omnidirectional.

*Edit: Moving it closer or further from any boundaries can help tho. Even the 6 or 7 inches you mention can sometimes be enough to make a difference.

G

grodzki

Audioholic Intern
Toe in likely won't affect anything when it comes to bass frequencies as they're omnidirectional.

*Edit: Moving it closer or further from any boundaries can help tho. Even the 6 or 7 inches you mention can sometimes be enough to make a difference.
Thanks very much. I'll shift the sub then compare and contrast

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis