Balanced vs. unbalanced

mcwilson

mcwilson

Audioholic
I have recently purchased the ATI AVP7.1 pre and the ATI 3007 amp. Any suggestions on whether I should use balanced cabling? Where can I get cabling at a decent price.

Thanks for the help!

FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
mcwilson said:
I have recently purchased the ATI AVP7.1 pre and the ATI 3007 amp. Any suggestions on whether I should use balanced cabling? Where can I get cabling at a decent price.

Thanks for the help!
Well, the real advantage of balanced connections is the common mode noise rejection they offer for long runs. In the typical home set-up it wouldn't be a concern. However, you can look on Sam Ash, Fullcompass, Musicians Friend, or other pro audio or music industry based website that sells equipment.

I suppose a place like Parts Express might have them too, although I've never looked as I have a Sam Ash local to me.

The only difficulty with a pro audio store is that you may not be able to find a length short enough since the common useage is mic cables. And who wants a 6 foot mic cable :eek:

-Bruce

U

Unregistered

balanced vs unbalanced, cables

Blue Jeans Cable, they have a website, of Seattle, WA, will custom make excellent balanced or unbalanced cables in several colors (I chose different colors so that I could more easily follow hook ups) at reasonable prices.
Tell them Dave Ladely, Pacific Video and Audio, referred you!

U

Unregistered

custom balanced and unbalanced cables

Blue Jeans Cable will also provide any length you want, no problem. Really helped eliminate the clutter and other problems associated with excess cable length.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
BJ is highly regarded and reasonably priced for custom lengths. Otherwise, you should be able to get stock cables down to 1m. XLRs aren't just for microphones - most pro audio gear uses XLR and AES/EBU interconnects, so shorties aren't in short supply at the pro audio and/or keyboard department at Guitar Center or other music gear stores.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis