Bad to mount speakers to wall side of TV?

AParsh

AParsh

Junior Audioholic
Hello,
I am moving into my new house and arranging my home theater components for the first time.
The HSU 15" Subs are HUGE. With them in place now i feel like my Ascend 340 SE speakers (L&R) would look so much better if they were mounted onto the wall to the sides of the TV.

I've read places that placing the speakers too close to the wall is bad for sound? How much worse would the sound be? Are there any wall mounts that come off the wall enough to make this idea work ok?

Here is a diagram i made of the configuration on the wall, if the speakers were mounted to the wall.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
AParish,

The 340SE's rear bass port would not appreciate being located very close (i.e. only a few inches) from the wall. How much this positioning will noticeably change the sound is hard to say, a quick experiment comparing the two speaker positions is probably worth the trouble.
As a point of reference, my Ascend Sierra's (also having a rear bass port) are located on stands a couple of feet from the wall.

I don't know if the 340SE is designed to accommodate a bass port plug. The fine folks at Ascend would be able to answer that question and give you insight into the expected bass frequency response change. Even if the bass port plug raised the minimum frequency response a fair amount it should not hamper your overall sound production because you have the subs.

At 26 lbs each, I do not know of a mount that would get the speakers far enough from the wall and also be able to safely handle that amount of weight. Force on the mount being equal to weight times distance!

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

AParsh

AParsh

Junior Audioholic
AParish,

The 340SE's rear bass port would not appreciate being located very close (i.e. only a few inches) from the wall. How much this positioning will noticeably change the sound is hard to say, a quick experiment comparing the two speaker positions is probably worth the trouble.
As a point of reference, my Ascend Sierra's (also having a rear bass port) are located on stands a couple of feet from the wall.

I don't know if the 340SE is designed to accommodate a bass port plug. The fine folks at Ascend would be able to answer that question and give you insight into the expected bass frequency response change. Even if the bass port plug raised the minimum frequency response a fair amount it should not hamper your overall sound production because you have the subs.

At 26 lbs each, I do not know of a mount that would get the speakers far enough from the wall and also be able to safely handle that amount of weight. Force on the mount being equal to weight times distance!

Cheers,
XEagleDriver
Thanks for the response Eagle! Great info - i'll search around a bit to see if i can find something that places it off the wall enough.

AParsh

AParsh

Junior Audioholic
I guess it would just make sense to put them on top of the entertainment stand toward the left and right edges....

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
How about some speaker stands between the credenza and the subs?

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
It's not bad to mount speakers to the side in and of itself, but that depends on the speakers. In your case, I'd say no. However, there are speakers that are designed specifically to be wall mounted and can sound really great in exactly the configuration you're wanting.

AParsh

AParsh

Junior Audioholic
How about some speaker stands between the credenza and the subs?
This was my original plan...but the HSU 15"s are HUGE! The far right sub is close to a hallway that goes to the garage, i dont want it blocking and the speakers on stands would make everything that much wider.

AParsh

AParsh

Junior Audioholic
Ended up just putting them on top of the TV stands off to the left and right.
The TV stand is bigger than i had remembered, probably 85" wide.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis