BAD PREAMP OUTPUTS ON A CD PLAYER?

T

telecomtech

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I bought a Pioneer CD player from a guy who bought it new. He said he never had an amp hooked up to it. When I received it the preamps still had the clear rubber covers on them.
I have tried two amps that I know work, and on both of them I can only get one channel of the amp to work. It is the same output channel that won't work.
I have tried 3 different pairs of RCA cords, and like I said two different amps.
I have bypassed my equalizer, and hooked them straight from the back of the cd player itself. The cd player has two sets of preamp outputs and I still have the same problem.
What am I doing wrong!
What could it be? Please reply as I am very frustrated.

Billy</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Let's be clear:

(1) You say that your CD player has two sets of &quot;preamp outputs.&quot; How are those outputs actually labeled?

(2) By &quot;amps&quot; do you mean integrated amps, power amps, or what? Please specify.

I suspect that one channel is defective in your CD player, but it's hard to say. More info needed.</font>

T

telecomtech

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>The cd preamps are labeled front, and rear. I am using power amps, and an equalizer. At first when all was hooked up I moved the Kenwood amp a little and there was some loud buzzing coming from the speakers, but you could tell it was the RCA jacks at the amp. I touched one of the RCA wires at the amp and it buzzed and popped again. Finally it popped the inline amp fuse. I changed the fuse and haven't heard the buzzing or popping when moving the amp, but can still here a little distortion.
Like I said, I tried bypassing the eq, used 3 different RCA cords, came straight from the CD player to the amp. I also hooked up a Pioneer amp, and have the same problem.
Note: When hooking up the Pioneer CD player, I used a plug adapter to hook into the factory plug. I tapped into the speaker wires from the factory side.

Billy</font>

T

telecomtech

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Bassboy,

I think I solved the problem. I grounded the cd player directly to the metal chassis instead of using the ground wire in the OEM plug. The Pioneer worked on both channels, but the Kenwood still won't. I think one channel got fried during this whole process.
Let me know if you have heard of a similar situation.

Billy</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I'm still a little confused about your setup. I take it that you're running a power amp directly from a CD player (except there's an equalizer somewhere in there, for some reason). You're apparently using the term &quot;preamp&quot; to mean RCA terminal. Preamp outputs are normally found on integrated amps, receivers or--duh--preamps.

At any rate, I'm glad you found a solution. It sounds as if the amp, not the CD player, is the problem.</font>

T

telecomtech

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I am running a Pioneer CD player with front and rear RCA jack outputs. I am running a set of RCA cables from the front RCA jack out of the CD player to the input of a Pioneer Equalizer/crossover. The EQ has one RCA jack inputs and two RCA jack outputs, front and rear. I am going to run my sub amplifier from the rear RCA jack output from the EQ. I will run my mids/highs amplifier from the front RCA outputs of the EQ.
The EQ acts as an equalizer and a crossover for two amps.
The problem was that the CD player had to be grounded to the chassis, not through the stereo wiring adapter plug.

What I am considering now is which of my two amps would be a better bass amp. I have an Alpine V12 MRV-T300 that I can run bridged mono to my one 10&quot; Punch woofer. I just received it and have wired it up, just not connected power yet.
I am waiting for a Fosgate Punch 60 to arrive and hook it up. I had a Punch 75 before and it was a kick ass bass amp, and a great mid/highs amp. I have never owned an Alpine, but have read that the Alpine V12 series are great amps.
Just trying to decide which to hook to my highs and which to my sub. The power ratings are about the same. They put out between 110-150 watts bridged into 4 ohms.

Telecomtech</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis