Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Well middle of last week, some younger guy decided to blow a stop and I let him have it..... My Nice trusty 2000 Accord Coupe has been declared totalled :(

Shopping around I have been looking at getting a 2009 Accord Coupe V6 manual with Navi.... There sportin almost 300hp these days...

They look pretty nice.

Secondary purpose of this thread is to gather help and thoughts of upgrading the Sound system... The Stock premium system is completely integrated with Navigation and hands free phone, which I like and do not want to replace the head unit to keep all the functionality... 6 disk MP3 cd changer, Bluetooth Ipone integration, but the speakers are not the greatest and it doesn't have the power I would like, and the 8" sub is pretty much worthless. It sounds good but It could be much better.

Annunaki or anyone else familiar with working with these idea's, some incite would be greatly appreciated...

What really sucks is there are about a bajillion V6 Automatics everywhere, but I can't get my hands on a Manual 6 speed until around October. The dealers searched the 4 state area and not one 2008 6 speed to be found.... grrrr

J

jamie2112

Banned
Ouch that hurts. I have a 99 accord vtech and couldn't be happier with it. Hopefully someone on here will be able to help you. Annunaki should be able too answer any questions about car audio. Good luck with your new Honda

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
That sucks Warp...Hope everyone is alright.

The new Accords are nice.

I can't help ya with the car audio. I do hear ya with everything being integrated. My wifes new Mazda 3 is the same way (less nav.). It will stay the way the factory made it.:)

SBF1

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
That sucks. Sorry to hear that. My Prelude got smashed in the rear back in 2004, but they didn't total it. Looks like a lot of your car is still in good shape...too bad that they couldn't salvage it. Nice rims.

I gravitate to the manuals, but with my two-hour drive in traffic these days, an automatic isn't sounding so bad. Do the Accord automatics have any sort of manual shift option?

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
I only drive manual

Well middle of last week, some younger guy decided to blow a stop and I let him have it..... My Nice trusty 2000 Accord Coupe has been declared totalled :(

Shopping around I have been looking at getting a 2009 Accord Coupe V6 manual with Navi.... There sportin almost 300hp these days...

They look pretty nice.

Secondary purpose of this thread is to gather help and thoughts of upgrading the Sound system... The Stock premium system is completely integrated with Navigation and hands free phone, which I like and do not want to replace the head unit to keep all the functionality... 6 disk MP3 cd changer, Bluetooth Ipone integration, but the speakers are not the greatest and it doesn't have the power I would like, and the 8" sub is pretty much worthless. It sounds good but It could be much better.

Annunaki or anyone else familiar with working with these idea's, some incite would be greatly appreciated...

What really sucks is there are about a bajillion V6 Automatics everywhere, but I can't get my hands on a Manual 6 speed until around October. The dealers searched the 4 state area and not one 2008 6 speed to be found.... grrrr
I have 2005 6-speed EX V6 accord coupe with NAV; really like it. I adderd Borla exhaust and K &N air filter. I get 30-31 on the highway.

The music systemis not up to Audiophile levles nad the road noise is higher than I like.

My other Honda is an S2000 with Invidia exhaust and Rick's Voodoo short shift knob

Honda is great except for sound system. I like the intrgration with Nav and looked in to replacing the speakers at one time and adding sub, but never did. My son's car (IS300)sounds so so much better. An my wifes car (Avaln) sounds so so much better.

Good luck , sorry about your other Honda.

J

jamie2112

Banned
I thought that all Honda automatics have 3 gears to manual shift if you wanted. D1 D2 and D4 is what my Honda automatic has....

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I thought that all Honda automatics have 3 gears to manual shift if you wanted. D1 D2 and D4 is what my Honda automatic has....
With the automatic transmission you lose about 15-20% of the power to the wheels, where in the Stick you don't... and I really like to be connected to the vehicle... I love sports cars... Just don't have the $bling$ for a Vette at this point in my life...

I have 2005 6-speed EX V6 accord coupe with NAV; really like it. I adderd Borla exhaust and K &N air filter. I get 30-31 on the highway.

The music systemis not up to Audiophile levles nad the road noise is higher than I like.

My other Honda is an S2000 with Invidia exhaust and Rick's Voodoo short shift knob

Honda is great except for sound system. I like the intrgration with Nav and looked in to replacing the speakers at one time and adding sub, but never did. My son's car (IS300)sounds so so much better. An my wifes car (Avaln) sounds so so much better.

Good luck , sorry about your other Honda.
Thanks Midcow... I love Honda's... My car was great, and I will miss it, but accidents happen.... I was going to wait until next year, but such is life...

That sucks. Sorry to hear that. My Prelude got smashed in the rear back in 2004, but they didn't total it. Looks like a lot of your car is still in good shape...too bad that they couldn't salvage it. Nice rims.

I gravitate to the manuals, but with my two-hour drive in traffic these days, an automatic isn't sounding so bad. Do the Accord automatics have any sort of manual shift option?
Thanks Adam... I don't think they employ a paddle shift type scenario, but again I really haven't looked at the Automatics as like I said, they lose power in the transfer...

That sucks Warp...Hope everyone is alright.

The new Accords are nice.

I can't help ya with the car audio. I do hear ya with everything being integrated. My wifes new Mazda 3 is the same way (less nav.). It will stay the way the factory made it.:)

SBF1
Yeah Sucks... but at least no-one was hurt... Sad, but its only a piece of metal... I'm sure I'll have many more cars over the years, its just that it was paid for so I had no payments. Insurance gave me $6500.00 for it, which I thought was pretty good... I kept the wheels, but they won't fit a 5 lug...

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Well, stop buying so many subwoofers, and you could! :D
Hheheheh Yeah, I still have to build my 15"s Still haven't gotten around to that yet..... I think I'm going to go Sealed instead of a big ported, easier build and I would hope they sound great sealed.... I really have to get off my dead *** on that project. Instead I chose to gut part of the woods to make my back yard bigger... 75ftx100 of gutting... :( My back is feelin it... I hauled out 7 Dump truck loads of brush and trees, and the other half, the city picked up ground up:eek:

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Must be something in the air. :( Sorry about your encounter, Warp. Nice lookin' replacement, however, should make your week!

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Must be something in the air. :( Sorry about your encounter, Warp. Nice lookin' replacement, however, should make your week!
Thanks Tomorrow, although there are no more 2008's for me to test drive, V6 - 6speeds are extremely sparse. The 2009's are being built now, and delivery on any of them won't be until October :(

We checked 4 states around Wisconsin and couldn't find a single one...

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Hey Warp, just wanted to say I'm glad you are ok. Sucks to have to go deal with all of that but at least you were not hurt. Is your neck sore at all? It still must have given you a jolt.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
The Accord Coupe sure does look nice. I have been looking at the Sedan myself but in automatic. Although if I buy it I will buy the stock sound system and gut everything out for an Alpine 7" head unit with the Blackbird navigation system and Infinity Kappa component speakers with a single JL8W7 sub. The Alpine unit has full ipod integration with voice command navigation and bluetooth. I will also be adding the Alpine Audessey XT processor for calibration. The system can also calibrate accordingly for each seat in the vehicle as well.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=IVA-W505
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PMD-B200
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PXE-H650

The blackbird nav unit can be used as a standalone or can be docked inside the LCD head unit so if we travel around I can use it on a rental as well.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
With the automatic transmission you lose about 15-20% of the power to the wheels, where in the Stick you don't... and I really like to be connected to the vehicle... I love sports cars... Just don't have the $bling$ for a Vette at this point in my life...
I love Manuals also, but 15-20% is a really high estimate for power loss by transmission. It was probably true in the past, but improvements in automatic transmissions (and the emegence of manu-matic and DSG transmissions) have nullified this difference.

Take 2005 Honda Accord EX published 1/4 mile times:

The automatic took 15.1s and the manual 14.5s

This is a difference of about 4% using otherwise even cars (and I'll bet the automatic weighs slightly more also). Just some fat to chew on. :D I am sorry to hear about your loss, but it's good no one was hurt.

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
HP loss in auto VS stick is mostly related to the converter slip (there is always some slip in a normal converter). However, even with a mechanically locked up converter, in the planetary gear system used in autos, there are more gears in contact, which increases Horse Power losses since each gear mesh results in a HP loss

And don't forgot, in an auto, you have direct pumping losses from the front pump (you don't have this in a manual trans). And the higher the line pressure, or fluid flow rate, the greater the pumping losses.

Some transmissions are more efficient than others and some rear ends are more efficient than others.
You will find the heavier the transmission parts (gears, shafts, etc.) the more power they will use/need.
There are engine dyno VS rear wheel dyno comparisons, and you'll see loses of 15-17% for manual transmissions and 20-25% for automatics.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can't compare a true automatic to an automatically shifted manual because they are two different animals, but yes improvements in automatics have made them better recently. I'd still take a manual about 90% of the time. There are a few systems out there such as DSG that I wouldn't complain about.

I have a 99 accord vtech and couldn't be happier with it.
Vtech = phones VTEC = Honda :)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Hey Warp, just wanted to say I'm glad you are ok. Sucks to have to go deal with all of that but at least you were not hurt. Is your neck sore at all? It still must have given you a jolt.
Correct No injuries.... My brakes were locked up and the car nose dived as you can see by the pics, the front bumper is totally intact and was under the other guys car... By the time I hit him I was not going very fast, but just enough to turn the Accord into an Accordian... :rolleyes::(

The Accord Coupe sure does look nice. I have been looking at the Sedan myself but in automatic. Although if I buy it I will buy the stock sound system and gut everything out for an Alpine 7" head unit with the Blackbird navigation system and Infinity Kappa component speakers with a single JL8W7 sub. The Alpine unit has full ipod integration with voice command navigation and bluetooth. I will also be adding the Alpine Audessey XT processor for calibration. The system can also calibrate accordingly for each seat in the vehicle as well.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=IVA-W505
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PMD-B200
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PXE-H650

The blackbird nav unit can be used as a standalone or can be docked inside the LCD head unit so if we travel around I can use it on a rental as well.
I have been following a guy who did the same install you are referring to here in this thread... http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21215
Had I not been wanting to go with the stock navi, I would probably go with something like that... Looks nice Clicky for Picky

I love Manuals also, but 15-20% is a really high estimate for power loss by transmission. It was probably true in the past, but improvements in automatic transmissions (and the emegence of manu-matic and DSG transmissions) have nullified this difference.

Take 2005 Honda Accord EX published 1/4 mile times:

The automatic took 15.1s and the manual 14.5s

This is a difference of about 4% using otherwise even cars (and I'll bet the automatic weighs slightly more also). Just some fat to chew on. :D I am sorry to hear about your loss, but it's good no one was hurt.
Thanks obscbyclouds...
Yeah, your probably right about the %... I may have over stated that, but I'm still more about the interaction of manual over Auto... I have a Tahoe and when I get in it I feel a bit at a loss...

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
wow, that 2009 accord is killer!

looks like he did you a favor :)

glad you are safe.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah... just wasn't planning on upgrading this soon... and it puts a car payment in the way of a couple other projects... but not that big of a deal though.

The new models are very nice looking and I look forward to the upgrade, even though it will be a couple of months off...

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Glad to hear you're here to talk about it. A few seconds the other way, and things may have been different.

That's too bad, it looks like you've kept the car in nice shape. It sucks when you keep something nice, and someone else ruins it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis