Back Surround Speakers for 6.1/7.1 System

S

stoneheaver

Audiophyte
I don't have a drawing but I can explain without one. I have a rectangle room with one couch. The couch is up against the back wall...since the width is not that long. My question is this. I have my two Surround Left and Right Speakers mounted on the side walls...about a meter above ear level. Can I mount the two Back Left and Right speakers on the back wall even though I have the couch up against the back wall?? Do I need space behind the couch, inbetween the wall and the back of the couch for the back speakers for the 6.1 and 7.1 system to sound right???? Hope this makes sense. Below is what it looks like and invision the couch flush up against the wall and the back speakers mounted on the back wall.

SUB LF CTR RF

SL COUCH SR
BL-------BR

T

tedmjr2

Junior Audioholic
I had the same dilemma. Having two speakers 2' above the floor on the wall hidden behind each end of the couch facing upward toward the ceiling provided a much better rear effect than with speakers on the wall above the couch facing forward. I had to move the couch 1' away from the wall. This works for me - but you'll need to experiment with speaker placement to obtain satisfying results in your environment.

Last edited:
brian32672

brian32672

Banned
I agree with the above poster.

But, IMO. If you cannot move the couch out, then I would think that a 6.1 system would be better for you.

With 1 center channel speaker mounted on the back wall pointed down and as far up the wall as possible.

Either way, surely the surrounds will not sound correct. But this is the best solution I can think of.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Forgot to elaborate on that.

Being a 7.1 channel is only matrixed from a true DTS 6.1

Then I beleive the sound that close would disperse better from a single center channel, specially for the middle of the couch.

And the 7.1 would not have enough dispersion specially if there was 2 people on the couch, being that it would be 4 feet above your heads. Unless you had the 2 back speakers about 2 foot from each other

So the diagram you show, if a 7.1 is used, then it would not be a great idea to use them as far as the side surrounds.

Once again, the imaging will surely be off compared to a theater. IMO

S

stoneheaver

Audiophyte
Bad Description/layout diagram

Sorry, I didn't give everyone a good diagram of the speaker layout. This is what it looks like or would look like if I mounted the Back Left and Right speakers above the couch, but to the sides a little. Let me know if this would be a good setup for the back speakers, even though the couch is flush up against the wall.

Attachments

Last edited:
T

tedmjr2

Junior Audioholic
With your rear speaker mounting locations, I'd try di/bipole speakers that do not project sound directly toward the front as direct radiating ones would.

S

stoneheaver

Audiophyte
Cambridge MC300 Surround Multipole Speakers

Yes, I have the Cambridge MC300 Multipole Surround Speakers. Great Speakers!! (See Pic Below) Most Diagrams show the couch about 2 to 3 feet from back of wall...I just don't want ot mount speakers for back L and R if it's not going to sound good or degrade my great 5.1 sound.

Attachments

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Stick with 5.1

These speakers are polar adjustable. I would set them for bipolar operation to get the reflection off your rear wall. I have a similar setup with dual rears. I've run the system in 5/7.1 and don't perceive and difference. Don't waste your money.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis