Back Rear Surrounds Klipsch SS-1

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
I saw these and am very interested. Are there any others like this that I could consider. Specially in this price range. The SS-3 is way to expensive at 450.00 pair. The SS-1 at Vanns is on sale for 249.00 free shipping. Looking for some dipoles actually, and they must have high SPL, as I like surround sound better than front sound. So would not want to compensate by turning up system volume to get the rears to over power fronts... Another consideration would be to put the back surrounds on a seperate amp through the pre-out. But by that time it would be cheaper to get the SS-3
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/540349334

EDIT::: OOPS forgot to add the Infinity BETA ES250 are in my list of considerations. (if I can find them on sale)

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
brian32672 said:
I saw these and am very interested. Are there any others like this that I could consider. Specially in this price range. The SS-3 is way to expensive at 450.00 pair. The SS-1 at Vanns is on sale for 249.00 free shipping. Looking for some dipoles actually, and they must have high SPL, as I like surround sound better than front sound. So would not want to compensate by turning up system volume to get the rears to over power fronts...
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/540349334

EDIT::: OOPS forgot to add the Infinity BETA ES250 are in my list of considerations.
Your Acoustech HT63's have a sensitivity rating of 96dB, compared to the SS-1's at 94dB. Not a good match if you plan on using them together. On top of that, the SS-1's would need 66% more power to play as loud as your HT63's. For as much sound coming out of the rear surrounds, I doubt you'd hear any difference, especially knowing the Acoustech's are modelled after the Klipsch line. For 7 channel stereo, the HT63's would play louder than the SS-1's.

I

indcrimdefense

Audioholic
Brian -

I have Klipsch RF-7 fronts & RF-5 rears. I don't have any experience with the RS-7 as I was only looking for towers. I looked at the RF-35 before buying the RF-5, and while it is an additional cost, the RF-5 is a better speaker, and well worth the increased cost over the RF-35. Shop around and be patient, some of the reference line is going out of production this fall, and you may be able to get a great deal somewhere. Ovation, which has stores mainly in indiana (also in KY & OH) will run some fantastic deals on Klipsch from time to time, as Klipsch has some of their production facilities in Indianapolis, and uses Ovation at times to clear extra stock. I don't recall what the msrp price of the RF-35 was, but the jump from the RF-35 to the RF-5 is well worth the price difference. I will offer the following caveat, my Klipsch speakers are able to reveal the best, & worst, of both my components and source material. I'm still shopping for components I am happy with mated with my speakers. This is not to say that they won't sound good hooked to whatever system you have. However, I was always left with the impression that my speakers were capable of more. Originally were powered by nakamichi receiver & CD player, currently have denon 2805 receiver & 2910 DVD (for sale in classifieds section) and am demoing a Cary Audio Cinema 6 Pre/Pro and Cinema 5 amp (5 x 200). I was at three stores yesterday, and was listening to B&W speakers all afternoon, everywhere from their entry level productions to several variations of the 800 series, costing 4-7 times as much as my RF-7, and component systems costing tens of thousands. When I got home I was not disappointed listening to my own speakers run by the Cary Audio equipent.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis