Back in the game...need AV help/suggestions

A

atlvalet

Audiophyte
So, a quick background about me.

I bought some entry-level audio equipment when I was in college almost 30 years ago...Vandersteen 2Ci's bi-wired with an Adcom 555 and Adcom tuner. That worked great for a long time. A two-channel setup that I just added a TV to. Then the huge technology jump happened and seemingly passed me by lol.

I kept my 2-channel system and added an HDTV...never saw the use of an AV receiver...in my mind, it would be worse sound quality than separates and less power. However, I did have a big issue with dialogue...not sure if it's my age or if no center channel makes it that much harder to hear, but I would oftentimes have to turn on subtitles so I wouldn't miss anything. Back in the day, I was on top of my game....knew all the top equipment, etc, etc. ad nauseam. Not so anymore. There are 7.2.4 systems? I don't even know what that means (Ok, now I do, but last week I didn't).

So then COVID hit and I sold everything and I am rebuilding a system from the ground up now that there's some stability back in my life. I'm probably a dinosaur, because my first priority was rebuilding the 2-channel system. So, I did that with a combination of new and old. I picked up an Aragon Audio 24K preamp with separate power supply and an Aragon 4004 mkii 200wpc power amplifier. I always lusted after that amp. I thought about getting a set of Magnepan 1.7's, but eventually settled on a set of Monitor Audio Silver 500 speakers. I also have a new (2020) Sony HDTV and will be adding a PS5 at some point too.

Now, my initial thought was I only want a 3.1 system...especially after spending a bunch of money on all these new components. However, I'm aware I'll probably want something that can handle a 5.1 or 5.2 system because I may want to add real surround sound at some point in the future.

My biggest issue is many of these AV receivers seem to be underpowered, especially compared to my Aragon amp. Maybe that's not really an issue with these new electronics able to balance everything...I'm still getting up to speed lol. I'll also (obviously) want a receiver that has pre-outs. Other than that, I have no idea where to go or what would be a good option. I want something that will be ok driving the center channel and not be out of its league compared to the Aragon. So, here are my parameters...

1) I just got done spending thousands on new and classic equipment. I'm hoping to keep the AV receiver pretty basic with enough watts to at least blend with the Aragon
2) I don't want to spend over $1000 for an AV unit and ideally would rather spend $500 to $700. I'm ok buying used.
3) I do want something that can handle 4K and 120hz for gaming
4) I 100% want a center channel. I will probably purchase a C350 for the center to keep the speakers in the same family.
5) I do not plan on adding a sub for now.

I think that's about it. I will connect a CD player through the Aragon preamp, but all the other stuff will probably go through a receiver. I thought about just a processor, but that seems to require even more separates and I don't want to go down that rabbit hole yet.

Thanks in advance.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There are 7.2.4 systems?
That's Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.

My 26'x22'x14' HT room is set up for 5.2.4.

5 = 5 "bed" traditional speakers
2 = 2 channels of Subwoofers. Some have 1 subwoofer, some have 10 subwoofers like me, but we just say 2.
4 = 4 in-ceiling speakers for Atmos and DTSX.

Most of these AVRs will do just fine for most speakers (like your S500), most rooms and most people who have decent hearing, except for cases of extremely high volume (hearing impaired people who crank the volume up too high).

But since you already have external amps, there is no need to worry since you can use the pre-outs of the AVR.

Usually "$1,000" AVRs from Yamaha, Denon, and Marantz will do just fine.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I put my two channel separates in a different room (not even a tv) than my av setups, because the two channel gear just wasn't very useful with modern gear, they sounded as good but not particularly different/better fwiw, the sound quality differences were effectively nil. I have several avr based systems, but do prefer they have pre-outs for amp flexibility as needed. Generally I use the avrs on their own these days as the speakers aren't particularly demanding nor are my spl levels so high in my old age. If you think separates have some sort of magic/panache the pre-pro is one way to go, but generally costs much more than an avr and measures little differently (some avrs have been topping some of the pre-pros on measurements, too, might go to audiosciencreview.com and look at measurements of both). As long as you have sufficient amp for your speakers/spl levels required it's not a great big deal.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis