B&W vs Velodyne powered subs

D

dis

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I need to fill in the low end in my setup and I'm considering 2 subs for about $500 CDN each.

Either the B&amp;W ASW 300 or the Velodyne CHT-8 both feature an 8&quot; driver.

Here are the specs for both speakers:

ASW 300
Description Active vented-box subwoofer system
Dimensions Height: 405mm (16 in) including fixed feet
Width: 330mm (13 in)
Depth: 375mm (14.8 in) including grille and controls
Allow extra 50mm (2 in) clearance at rear for ventilation

Net Weight 15kg (33 lb)
Freq. Response -3dB 27Hz - 150Hz adjustable (EQ at A)
Freq. Range -6dB at 27Hz and 180Hz adjustable (EQ at A)
Drive Units Unit 1: 1x 200mm (8 in) dia paper/Kevlar cone long throw
Unit 2:
Unit 3:

Finish Cabinet: Black Ash or Maple vinyl
Grille: Black cloth
Sub Woofer Amplifier Description: Class B
Power Output: 100W continuous
Rated Power Consumption: 140W
Input Impedance: 22k ohms
Signal Noise: &gt;90dB
Functions: Volume level - Low-pass filter frequency - Low-pass filter bypass - Bass roll-off alignment - Auto sense on/standby - Phase 0/180
Inputs: Line In (RCA Phono)
Speaker level In (binding posts)
Outputs: Line Out (RCA Phono, high-passed)
Link Out (RCA Phono, parallel to Line In)
Speaker level out (binding posts, high-passed)

Low Pass Filter Active 2nd-order, variable cut-off frequency
High Pass Filter Line level: Active 3rd-order at 80Hz
Speaker level: Passive 1st-order at 80Hz into 8 ohm resistor
(Response of passive filters dependent on load impedance)

CHT-8
8&quot; Forward Firing Subwoofer
(6.3&quot; piston diameter)
Manufacturer SRP $399.00
Frequency Response: 35-140 Hz +-3 dB
High Pass Crossover (6 dB/octave slope):
Passive 85Hz

Low Pass Crossover (12 dB octave, 24 dB ultimate):
40Hz-120Hz (adjustable)

Auto On/Off
Dynamic Power: 350 watts
RMS Power: 130 watts
Magnet: 40 oz.
Voice Coil: 2&quot; 2-layer copper
Inputs: Line-level and speaker-level
Outputs: Line-level and speaker-level
Crossover bypass: Subwoofer Direct
Cone: Reinforced fiber
Cabinet (H/W/D): 15&quot; x 12&quot; x 18&quot;
Weight: 44 lbs.
Warranty: 2 years (parts &amp; labor)
Finish: Black Vinyl</font>

D

dis

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>So if the 10's and 12's lack the punch then obviously so would the 8&quot;.

I've scheduled a listening demo for the ASW-300. I wish I still had one of the those Bass CD's that car audio enthusiasts use.

Hawke I got 2 questions for you. If my front bookshelfs speakers are rated at 60Hz-20kHz +/- 3dB where exactly should I set the sub crossover for?

My other question is about setting speakers as small or large. In my mind by setting all speakers to small won't that cause a confused signal to be sent via the LFE channel?

The missing bass information for 5 speakers will simultaneously be send down to LFE speaker isnt' that bad sound-wise?</font>

D

dis

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I ended up buying the ASW-300, I got it at a good price and never bothered to test out the 8&quot; velodyne.

The unit outputs more bass than I need, I have the subwoofer volume set to slightly less than 15% of the total volume. Any more than 15% and I find the bass too overwelming, almost annoying.

I was a little concerned with the paper/kevlar construction though but there is a 5 year instore warranty on the speaker and 2 years on the amplifier circuitry.

The price I paid was $500 CDN taxes included and I finally have a well balanced system &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Dis;

Congrats on your purchase. &nbsp;There is nothing wrong with paper/kevlar drivers and B&amp;W does employ very high quality units for their bass drivers. &nbsp;Good luck.</font>

<font color='#000080'>BTW, I'd start by crossing it right at 60 since the bookshelves and the sub will have rolloff in their respective directions.

I'd also set the bookshelves to small for sure. Your receiver will sort out the LFE info to the sub as it should.

[Edit: What is your receiver? This may affect your desired crossover setting]</font>

D

dis

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hawke, my reciever is a yamaha htr-5640.

I had the crossover set to 60hz originally but the manual said for home theatre usage to set the crossover to &quot;out&quot;, I guess this means that the amplifier will manage what frequencies go where.

I tested my front/center cspeakers with the AVIA dvd and at around 60Hz they go dead so I set them all to small.

I'm not quite sure what &quot;out&quot; does though...</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I currently own the ASW 300. &nbsp;It is very musical and it does play really loud. &nbsp;I bought it over the Velodyne CHT because I didn't find the Velodyne to be as musical. &nbsp;I think its strength lies in movies and the visceral impact, by that I mean the Velodyne likes to go boom boom boom. &nbsp;It does ratttle the walls alright. &nbsp;If that's what you like then go for it. &nbsp;It comes down to personal taste for subs in my opinion, your gonna have to go and take a listen.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis