F

flava30

Audioholic Intern
I recently purchased second hand DM 604 bw speakers. I have banana plugs that I wanted to use but it seems like the post are a solid piece of brass. No plastic black and red caps. The sticker is also different from the newer DM's that I've seen. They're gray opposed to black. Are these the first gen 604's?

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I recently purchased second hand DM 604 bw speakers. I have banana plugs that I wanted to use but it seems like the post are a solid piece of brass. No plastic black and red caps. The sticker is also different from the newer DM's that I've seen. They're gray opposed to black. Are these the first gen 604's?
Do your binding posts look like these?

If so, unscrew each brass knurled nut, one at a time, pop out the black or red plastic plug from the inside (you might need a small tool or toothpick to help), and return each brass nut back on its post. Once you remove those black & red plugs, you can use banana plugs.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Take the brass caps right off completely and see if there's 4mm (0.1575") holes in the bonding posts. I checked the owner's manual for DM604's and they don't mention using banana plugs, nor do they day you can't. If there's no holes, I might be tempted to get a 3.9mm or No.24 (0.154" drill and make the holes. Of course I'd remove the binding post cups from one speaker first to see if there's enough brass on both sides to do that.

F

flava30

Audioholic Intern
No caps. Tried to see if these had gold/brass caps but they won't budge. Are these 1st generations DM 604'S??? Why gray background and black letters stickers and not the typical black sticker white letters? Just curious. These things have no build dates on them.

Attachments

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I mean the part you screw down, not something blocking a hole. Take those off completely and see what you have underneath.

Now that you have them off, put them back on and use the holes in the caps to act as a guide to drill through. That's brass, cuts like butter. Just make sure you got the right size drill.

F

flava30

Audioholic Intern
Oh okay KenM10759. I hope I don't damage it just to install banana plugs. How come these came like this? All BM speakers I've seen have removable red and black plastic caps. Heck, almost all speaker's I've owned. This is why I think these are 1st generation late 90's DM 604's? What do you guys think?

F

flava30

Audioholic Intern
I also don't see the CE marking on the back speaker sticker. That's weird.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The speakers may pre-date the initiation of the CE certification. I do believe they are the first generation of DM604.

F

flava30

Audioholic Intern
I figured that. They sound great for speakers from 1996-1999...Wow! and they look really good. They were well taken care of. No pushed in caps or tweeters. The tweeters have some kind of semi grill. I hope they last me a few years. Thanks for your help Ken. If I drill the holes I'll keep you posted.

F

flava30

Audioholic Intern
Decided against drilling since it might burr up the hole and cause poor contact.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Decided against drilling since it might burr up the hole and cause poor contact.
I can see why you wouldn't want to do that. The only other thing I can think of is to replace the binding posts with new ones that can accept banana plugs.

Remove the 4 screws that hold the plastic plate with the 4 posts on one of your speakers. Pull it out, and see the nuts on the back that hold each post in place. If you remove one, you should be able to see what size hole there is.

Order new ones. These might fit ($2.75 each).
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/yung-binding-posts/posts-g-postb-binding-post-black/

Other sizes are available
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/yung-binding-posts/

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/binding-posts-plates/309?N=19861+4294967118&Ne=10166&No=16&Nrpp=16&Nrs=collection()/record[endeca:matches(.,"P_PortalID","1")+and+endeca:matches(.,"P_Searchable","1")]&PortalID=1

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Burrs around the hole in brass are so simple to remove, all you need is a sharp pointy pocketknife or Exacto blade.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Burrs around the hole in brass are so simple to remove, all you need is a sharp pointy pocketknife or Exacto blade.
True. I guess it depends on the OP's skill and confidence level with a drill on what he values.

Test different drill bits on scrap wood until you know what size hole works for your banana plugs.

F

flava30

Audioholic Intern
These are both great ideas and options. Smoothing the inside of the drilled hole with a blade sounds doable for me, but changing the post might just be easier and cleaner.

F

flava30

Audioholic Intern
Btw, obviously I will only need to change a pair per speaker. This might be better and simpler. Now figuring out the hole size...hmmm...how would I measure it.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I already posted what size drill to use. Banana plugs are nominal 4mm diameter, and having measured all the binding posts in my KEF R500 and R200c speakers, I know they are 3.91 to 3.93 millimeters. Being a machinist by trade, I know what probably hole oversize would be, so a 3.9mm drill or in the ANSI "wire gauge" size drills, a No.24 drill.

Consider just drilling these, deburr (which brass doesn't tend to create anyhow) and try it. If you blow it completely you would still be buying new binding posts even if you never tried drilling them. Heck, if you're near me I'll do it for you. It's a two minute job.

F

flava30

Audioholic Intern
Okay Ken. I will go for it. I'm very handy. I will keep you posted.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
That's the spirit! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Got nothing to lose, because even if it didn't the binding posts would still work as is until the updated replacements come in.

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
Take some needle nose pliers and grab the brass cap in front of the black/red ring and pull.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis