D

dis

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I went in to my local dealer looking for speaker stands for my front L/R.

I got curious about the whole B&amp;W thing. I didn't think there was that much sound quality difference among decent speakers like my (athena's S1's). I was blown away with these little speakers. They sounded clearer not too bright and perfectly balanced mids and highs. My athenas who's driver is 6 1/4 inches sounded less bassy than these little 5 inch drivers on the BW's.

I guess you really do get what you paid for...</font>

<font color='#000080'>I like B&amp;Ws... then I heard my current speakers... it's all relative. But you often (not always) get what you pay for.

B&amp;Ws have a great sound, and sport nice low end in their bookshelves. They also have nice imaging and they are pleasing to listen to - not fatiguing at all.</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>I breifly heard a pair of Definitive PM200s while visiting Audiojunction, a local a/v shop. After Hearing the PM200s I though OMG I got to get these, I at the time only had modified RadioShack 3-ways.

I went back to my local shop to listen to a pair of Definitive ProMonitor 200s and a pair of B&amp;W DM601 S3s and man the PM200s blew them out of the water! &nbsp;The DM601 S3s sounded muddy in the low end, and the tweeters wer almost mute. &nbsp;The PM200s are in my opinion far better.

BTW they were both hooked up to a Rotel Integrated amp and Rotel single disc HDCD player.

I also now own three PM200s and plan on buying two more for my rears in the near future

:)~

Bob</font>

<font color='#000080'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the tweeters wer almost mute</td></tr></table>I think one of the things I noticed about the B&amp;Ws after comparing them to other speakers of better caliber was that they didn't have the level of detail in the high frequencies. But I would hardly call them &quot;almost mute&quot;.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>I've been using B&amp;W Matrix 805's (bookshelf size, predacessors to the Nautilus 800 series) for my front L&amp;R speakers for about 6 years. I think pound for pound they rock. In the end however, they are what they are, which is a bookshelf speaker probabaly better suited for rears. As they say, there is no substitute for horsepower, which is why I just upgraded to B&amp;W Nautilus 802's for my fronts. It took me 6 years to overcome the WAF &nbsp;
</font>

<font color='#000080'>Just makes me appreciate my full-tower lovin, sci-fi watchin, action-film viewin' wife.</font>

D

dis

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>You guys got some serious gear...I have a pair of B&amp;W bookshelfs and no food in the fridge

I checked the specs on the PM200, assuming PM means Pro Monitor 200 they are listed for $25 less per speaker than the DM600's and they do have a 6 1/4 inch driver which would probably account for the better low end.

I'm thinking of returning these speakers and getting these http://www.athenaspeakers.com/modelASF2specs.htm which only cost $100 more in total...that should fill in the low end.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Frozen;

Having personally heard the old Matrix series B&amp;W's, my advice to you is keep them. &nbsp;IMO, those were some of B&amp;W's finest offerings.</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>dis,

I too agree that the Athena AS-F2s are fantastic for the money. &nbsp;My best friend is looking to buy a pair once he has the money and a good receiver to power them (most likely Sony's new STR-DA2000ES). &nbsp;I think pound/$ these are the best towers anyone with any kind of funds can purchase. &nbsp;I have heard some really good towers, for instance my fathers Polk RT1000i's, B&amp;W CDM NT7s, and Definitive BP10bs. &nbsp;The Athenas have alot of their strengths, such as clarity, punch, and fair midrange (not as good as B&amp;W or Definitive) but the AS-F2s give these higher priced speakers a run for their money.

:)~

Bob</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis