B&W DM6 speaker refurbish -help please

P

peterlonz

Audiophyte
I have owned a pair of B&W DM6s for 40 odd years, lugged them around always intending to make fully operational.
But hey you all know the story; they are big & heavy, & probably not as good for today's digital outputs as many smaller speakers.
Anyway the low & mid drivers seem to test out OK, at least on low volume from a 2 x 30 W amp. The tweeters never lasted long & are shot.
I am unsure how to test the crossovers, but I guess I can just reassemble & see what happens.
Interestingly I expected to see failing caps, but no bulging or leaking is evident so I am assuming they may be somewhat degraded but working.
I know replacement (B&W) tweeters are now unavailable, so what should I select to replace?
Any other comment & help most welcome even if you think I should dump the cabinets & try to sell the (quite large) working drivers.
Can send pics if necessary.
Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Your problem is that all tweeters are different. So a different tweeter will almost certainly requires a redesign of the high pass filter in the crossover. After a search I note that those B & W TW 20 tweeters have all vanished from site. I did note a high failure rate of those units. So finding a pair in working condition will be impossible.

You need a 3/4" dome. In those days there was no ferrofluid in the gap.

So really you need a tweeter without ferrofluid. That leaves the Hiquphon OW 1 as your best option. However you will need to invest in measuring equipment to adjust the crossover for a flat response. So you will need to purchase omni mic.

This restoration is doable, but the question is do you have or can you acquire the skills to get the job done?

I suspect the crossovers are fine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis