B&W 684 S2 Theatre&Music Need Help

J

jerry12

Audiophyte
Hello!

So im proud owner off B&W 684 S2 speakers along with B&W HTM62 S2 Centre Channel and B&W ASW610 subwoofer.Saving money for rears B&W 686 S2 to complete 5.1 system.

Anyways i have a little problem to determine what Low Pass Frequency should i set on my subwoofer.I have set in my AV receiver speakers to SMALL and set crossover to 80hz.Which i think its fine.But the sub also has Low pass frequency,and i dont know how would i set that.Mind,that i have sub set up as a extension to my mains not as a home theater sub.I enjoy listen to music on my fronts and i have set it up that way as a extension.That means i have LOW PASS on sub set to in.Problem is to determine what frequency should i set on LOW PASS Frequency setting.Curently i have it also on 80Hz.

B&W 684 S2 Specs.

Frequency range -6dB at 45Hz and 50kHz
Frequency response 72Hz - 22kHz ±3dB on reference axis

In the manual of subwoofer,says;

2-channel Audio Settings;
Set the VOLUME (LINE or SPEAKER) control initially to the 9 o’clock position. Set the LOW-PASS FILTER switch to IN. Set the EQ switch initially to position A. Set the PHASE switch initially to 0°. Set the LOW-PASS FREQ control to match the -6dB low frequency cut-off frequency of the satellite speakers. Note: Both -3dB and -6dB figures can be found in the specification of each B&W speaker model. If the satellite speaker manufacturer quotes only a -3dB frequency, the optimum setting for the LOW-PASS FREQ control should be between 0.6 and 0.9 times that figure. The more gradual the low frequency roll-off of the satellite speakers, the lower the frequency should be set. See the Fine Tuning section for more.

I have it set up like it says here.I know if i would use LOW-PASS filter to OUT.It would use sub amplifier and i could set Frequency to 140khz.But as a extension to mains you need to know what frequency to set.Having trouble understanding this line;

''Set the LOW-PASS FREQ control to match the -6dB low frequency cut-off frequency of the satellite speakers. Note: Both -3dB and -6dB figures can be found in the specification of each B&W speaker model. If the satellite speaker manufacturer quotes only a -3dB frequency, the optimum setting for the LOW-PASS FREQ control should be between 0.6 and 0.9 times that figure. The more gradual the low frequency roll-off of the satellite speakers, the lower the frequency should be set.''

If someone here has more knowledge of understanding this please help me.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Mind,that i have sub set up as a extension to my mains not as a home theater sub.
I have no idea what that means.

Standard protocol is to set the receiver for “small” speakers, even if they are large ones like yours, which typically gets a crossover (both high and low pass) of 80 Hz. The crossover knob on the sub, if it can’t be bypassed, should be moved to the highest setting.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

J

jerry12

Audiophyte
The manual explains two ways of seting up the subwoofer for Home Theater use or for 2 channel audio meant as a extension for bass for what speakers cant handle.At least i understand it like that.

Home Theatre Settings;
Set the VOLUME (LINE or SPEAKER) control initially to the 9 o’clock position. Set the LOW-PASS FILTER switch to OUT. Set the EQ switch initially to position A. Set the PHASE switch initially to 0°. Set the LOW-PASS FREQ (frequency) control to 140 if the speaker level inputs are used. The setting is irrelevant if the line level inputs are used. See the “Fine Tuning” section for more.

2-channel Audio;
Settings Set the VOLUME (LINE or SPEAKER) control initially to the 9 o’clock position. Set the LOW-PASS FILTER switch to IN. Set the EQ switch initially to position A. Set the PHASE switch initially to 0°. Set the LOW-PASS FREQ control to match the -6dB low frequency cut-off frequency of the satellite speakers. Note: Both -3dB and -6dB figures can be found in the specification of each B&W speaker model. If the satellite speaker manufacturer quotes only a -3dB frequency, the optimum setting for the LOW-PASS FREQ control should be between 0.6 and 0.9 times that figure. The more gradual the low frequency roll-off of the satellite speakers, the lower the frequency should be set. See the Fine Tuning section for more.

Normaly i would agree,i would set up to highest possible,but here in manual for 2 channel audio says differente.It must be something with LOW PASS Filter set to IN.I think it integrates differently with speakers as if i would have set up LOW PASS Filter to OUT,using sub amplifier.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The manual explains two ways of seting up the subwoofer for Home Theater use or for 2 channel audio meant as a extension for bass for what speakers cant handle. At least i understand it like that.
As you pointed out, the sub woofer manual spoke of two different settings, Home Theater and 2-channel Audio settings. This was meant for owners of AV receivers like yourself, or owners of stereo setups. Use one or the other, but not both in the same rig. The low-pass frequency control on the back of the sub woofer is meant for those who have no other way available.

You have an AVR with internal digital controls for sub woofer low-pass and speaker hi-pass filters. Use them, but set the sub woofer control knob to the maximum value, which essentially bypasses it.

Your AVR should allow you to choose between small and large for your speakers. Small will employ the high-pass filter for the speakers and the sub woofer with the low-pass filter. Large will send a full range signal to the speakers while using the low-pass filter for the sub woofer.

J

jerry12

Audiophyte
Thank you Swerd now i understand!!

In my setup i need to use Home Theater settings as manual says.But if i would wanna use 2-channel Audio setting,would need to set my main speakers to LARGE to feed them full signal,and then on sub woofer set the low pass filter settings.

I reconfigured and now plays fine,before i didnt get the full sound.Nice!

Thank you!!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
To clarify set the crossover on the subwoofer to its highest setting, not the level adjustment.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis