B.I.C. America - Praise or flame away

austinbirdman

austinbirdman

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>At the risk of going down in flames, I'm curious to know if anyone has opinions on B.I.C. bookshelf speakers for HT use, or even occasional music. These perennial low-cost speakers garner some interesting positive reviews -- not just from Consumer Reports (whom I don't trust to evaluate toasters, let alone speakers), but also from users at Audioreview.com and even the occasional expert, like speaker designer Ed Frias, who seems to know what they are talking about.

This article at slottweak.com for example makes a good case for using BIC's best center channel, the DV62 CLRs, as either a center or as both center and mains in a HT set-up. (This is especially interesting to me as a cheap way to get five identical speakers for HT - of course it's of no use if the speakers stink.) The BIC DV62si also gets popular marks as you can see at audioreview.com.

I'm interested in these two models only -- not the subwoofers or floorstanders, which seem to be run-of-the-mill Sears or Best Buy models. But it's intriguing to see some of the positive comments that the DV62 CLRs and DV62si garner. Still, it's impossible to know anything without hearing them, which I can't do hear in Austin (no area dealers) unless I order some online. BIC does not clearly state the frequency response -- so it's hard to know if the low end of the DV62 CLRs is truly 38Hz as advertised -- or 38Hz +/- 9Dbs or something outrageous like that.

Anyone have experience or comments on these models? They are so inexpensive that I am contemplating ordering them online for some A/B trials. It's entertaining if what the guy at the slottweak.com says is true -- that people in blind tests thought these were much better speakers (that is, more expensive) than B.I.C.'s.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I have dv52si center and i also have M7K and Infinity center and BIC is just as good for my center. I use it for front and M&amp;k125c for rear center.</font>

F

FunHouse Media - Tx

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I have BIC inwalls and they are great. My dad has some floor models he bought in 1977 and they still sound good.

I sell BIC ALOT in the Austin area because of thier value. They have good warranties and great sound.

I don't know why you never hear of them. If your interested - contact me.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis