[B]How do you hookup two subs [/B]

apatel25314

apatel25314

Audioholic
How would you hook up two subwoofers to a single output on a reciever

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
You can either use a Y adapter cable to split the one receiver sub pre-out into two or if at least one of the subs has line-level outputs you can connect the output of that one to the input of the other.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
VB code doesn't work in titles.

Y splitter is usually the simplest way.

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
MDS said:
You can either use a Y adapter cable to split the one receiver sub pre-out into two or if at least one of the subs has line-level outputs you can connect the output of that one to the input of the other.

i think the line level output,s have the high freq only.their for you cant connect it that way.

apatel25314

apatel25314

Audioholic
will the subs work with just a subwoofer cable to each , dont they need speaker wire as well?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
No they don't need speaker wire. Subs are designed with the forthought that you may have a receiver or integrated amp that lacks a dedicated subwoofer output.

The most cost effective and easiest to accomplish would be the single male to dual female Y adapter. You may also need two more Y adapters, accept they would need to be single female to dual male.

T

tubesaregood

Audioholic
I would probably run low level to one and high level to the other.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
dave1490 said:
i think the line level output,s have the high freq only.their for you cant connect it that way.
That could be, I don't know for sure, but if the sub was connected to the sub pre-out of the receiver it never got the high frequencies because the receiver xover sent only the low frequencies around its xover setting.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
If you’re still planning to use the Velo VRP-1200s, splitting the sub-out with a Y-adapter is your best option.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
tubesaregood said:
I would probably run low level to one and high level to the other.
That is not a very good configuration. Consider those who use the crossover in the receiver, it is the most practical way of setting a crossover for a home theater. If you had the fronts set to small, as they should be, and the crossover in the receiver set to 80hz, around were it should be, then you wouldn't get any use or very little out the sub that is using the high level inputs. It would only go as low as 80hz and it would start to rolloff. Not only that but it would increase the probability of frequency nulls and boominess because your front speakers would be playing those same frequencies.

The Y-adapter is the best and most practical solution, first to using low level output on select subwoofers to daisy chain. Daisy chaining with cost more on interconnects, hence not as practical.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you have a single RCA for the sub pre-out, it is always mono. A cable will not change that.

That one you listed is NOT an RCA splitter.

You can use something like this:

Or a Y splitter cable that has one male to 2 female RCAs:

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
MDS said:
That could be, I don't know for sure, but if the sub was connected to the sub pre-out of the receiver it never got the high frequencies because the receiver xover sent only the low frequencies around its xover setting.

thats right.and with line level input,s you get the full range and with the sub,s outputs can use sat,s with the sub.it just uses the sub,s amp insted of the recievers.

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
apatel25314 said:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040107&p_id=2120&seq=1&format=2&style=
so pretty much i need this and two subwoofer cables, also will the splitter make two identical signals or two different signals(left and right)

just a personal note,i got 2 sub,s and if you split the cable you might get 3 db down i did,and had to turn them right up just to hear them.sounded like 1 sub.i finaly said this suck,s and used the high inputs to the sub,s now i can here them.ps the brass 1 into top pic is what i used and it didnt work got 3db down.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I split my cable to two subs and didn't get -3dB. My main sub was exactly the same. In order to run both, I would have to turn each down from their individual calibrated levels.

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
j_garcia said:
I split my cable to two subs and didn't get -3dB. My main sub was exactly the same. In order to run both, I would have to turn each down from their individual calibrated levels.

i got exactly the same sub,s to,but like i said it sounded like 1.but i havent checked the volt output of my recievers sub out yet.from what i here it shouldnt work like that but mine did.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis