zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I've narrowed my choices to these two, the gold ref or the m60's. The price range works for me &amp; both brands have gotten good reviews. However, there is no Pinnacle dealer near me (Seattle) that carries their floorstanding line &amp; the website shows that these are &quot;archived&quot; speakers.
&nbsp;I read the review here on the Classic Gold refs (speaker faceoff) &amp; am intrigued by the rave review. I'm also impressed by the reviews on the Axiom M60's. My issue is that I have no way to compare the two. I would love some feedback from anybody who has heard both or either &amp;, perhaps, has some honest opinions about them. I will be driving them with a Yamaha RX-V3300 for now &amp; adding an amp to that in the future (if needed).

&nbsp;Thanks</font>

D

dmoss

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Evidently this must be a tough question. &nbsp;I have been waiting for someone to answer. &nbsp;Maybe this is something that Gene could find out for us. &nbsp;I will be waiting for some one to answer for sure. &nbsp;I like the Axiom 30 day return policy. &nbsp;Not sure about the Pinnacles</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>The Pinnacle &quot;Gold&quot; series have been discontinued. &nbsp;As far as I know they don't have a direct replacement. &nbsp;We haven't worked with Pinnacle in years so I cannot comment on their latest product offerings, but as far as I know they don't offer 30day return like Axiom. &nbsp;Sorry I couldn't be of more help.</font>

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I appreciate the replies fellas. Since the Gold Refs are &quot;obsolete&quot;,I guess that makes my choice simple. Pinnacles' website didn't intrigue me that much &amp; I haven't heard anything on the speakers that were advertised there.

&nbsp;Hello M60's.</font>

J

jzac

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>zipper,

I think you and I had this discussion before
&nbsp;...and after much brain-kicking, research, and coffee drinking I tilted towards buying the Axiom M80Ti's and their VP150 CC. I'm sure the M60's are equally astoundingly good. All I can is that I don't have the 'perfect' ear like some people profess they do to find any defect or shortcoming, but believe me when I tell you that these are real kick-butt set of speakers that will put many so called 'classy' speakers to shame. Superb! It's a sound choice for most audio crazy nuts like us, which I have been enjoying! I auditioned the Paradigm's 100 v3s among others and loved it...but, I could not justify paying double the cost for that small difference in sound (if you can find it!).
&nbsp;No way I was going to pay for those babies even though they are terrific speakers. If you have that kind of money lying around...yeah why not. I think for the money and quality close to perfection....you can't go wrong with your choice for Axiom's 60s...period! Good luck.

jz</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>jzac,
&nbsp;It's funny that you mention the Paradigms, for I was about to drive a spell to audition them.Dmoss is opting for the 100 v3's, but basically said the same thing you did about the comparison with the Axioms. That being said,I'm almost certain I'll go &nbsp;with the Axioms so that I can buy a pair of m22's to go with them @,still, half the price of the Paradigms.Thanks for chiming in. Your timing was excellent.
&nbsp;By the way,what are you driving them with?</font>

Z

zac

zipper,

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. Darn cookie was sending me haywire with the wrong site and wrong userid messages. I'm driving those M80Ti's speakers with my RX-V2400 receiver. Their VP-150 CC is very good too. Its a very different design compared to the usual CCs, but remarkable clarity and range. I have set the 80s at 8 ohms by default like Gene suggested and it's been handling it beautifully. I'm temperorily using Acoustimass 5 speakers for the surround which it's doing well (for now), but will eventually change it. If I recall you have a yammy for a receiver too, right?

All said and done, you will not be disappointed with the Axioms. Save that money and pick up the m22s too. You will be ecstatic! :) dmoss has money lying around for 100 v3s, and I have my coffers open for charity. ;-) 100 v3 are very good ones, but the cost is oomph! Axiom 60s are excellent ones. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision. Happy shopping!

jzac

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
jzac,

Thanks for the info. Yes,I've got a Yamaha 3300. I'll be ordering the 60's & 22's shortly. Will be sure to do a review when everything is in place.

D

dmoss

Junior Audioholic
:( Hey Guys lighten up on me a little would you. I bot the Paradigms because I believe these will be the last set of speakers that I will need to buy. Couldn't say that about the Axioms. I am building a system in the $5000 to $10000 range. I am looking unless technology busts me down to only buy things once. Just bot the ati at2500 to run these things. My system will not be the best but is will be more than enough. When I am done it will be:

Yamaha rx-v2400 Receiver $ 759.00
Paradigm Studio 100's $1700 ( with magnashields)
Paradigm CC570 $ 644
ATI AT2505 Adcom $ 1600
Still to purchase 470 ADP's (with stands, guessing $1000
Sunfire true woofer (Still to purchase $ 1100
Not sure on the DVD either the Yammy or the Denon (dvd-a and sacd) $800
Digital Flat Screen Not sure.
And good wires to run them $ 400
I think I am well within my budget and will probably not be needing to update for years to come. Will there or is there something better, yes, if you think for one minute the axioms will compare on quality "WRONG" as a value for the buck spent yes but if you feel that way why not just get a boom box with component video attachments to you RCA 25" TV. The problem with the axioms is that the statement will always be, Great sound for the money. Check the actual components that make the speakers up and you will understand the Paradigm difference. With the Paradigm the statement will be " Great sound period. Not to pop your bubble but if you are spending 800 and over why not get what you want instead of having to upgrade later. Take my advice friend, take the drive, make the trip and hear the Paradigms before you convince yourself the Axioms are similiarl They are simply not capable of matching the quality of the 100's. There is probably a reason that people such as myself pay more for better speakers. The age old statement still holds true "You get what you pay for." I am getting the system that I want ! Can you say the same? This may sound weird but I think I got more bang for my buck than you, so don't insult my purchase as some arogant spoil little brat who can afford to waste his money, not wise and prudent like you. I work hard for my money and have earned the right to have a better system if I want to, simply stated I think you both are trying to justify your cheaper purchases by agreeing that your purchases are more prudent than mine and therefore it is ok for you to buy a lesser quality. I don't begrudge you the systems of your choice, I take great offense in you treating like i am wasting money and stupid because I can afford a little better system than you. I not stupid or rich, just willing to pay for what I want.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Dude,where's all THAT coming from? I don't remember denigrating you for anything. Just to be sure,I reread this thread. No. I sure didn't. I merely mentioned the fact that you had done a comparison,thought both speakers were good,but thought the 100's were better & chose to buy those instead.I don't begrudge anybody for getting what they want,whether I can afford it or not. What you choose to spend your money on has no affect on me.I'm looking for info & opinions.The better informed I am,the better decisions I can make with my money. I can live with the fact that I can't have everything I want,at least right now.I'm going to demo the Paradigms this weekend & I'm sure I'll like what I hear.But if they're more than I wish to spend right now,I ain't gonna buy 'em. All this sH!t ain't goin nowhere.I'm sure they'll be lots to choose from next time I want to upgrade.Something less expensive works for me now.It's got nothing to do with you.
I just reread ALL the posts on this thread(not just mine) & I can understand how you could feel offended. None intended. I would like to hear about the Adcom when you get a chance as I've been trying to wheel & deal on a B&K 200.5 with a local store but they won't go below $2300. Only reason I'm considering it is they have a 24 month same-as-cash policy.
Thanks.

D

dmoss

Junior Audioholic
I'd check out that Marantz, I think it lists on the other amp thread, if I had not already bot the adcom I think I might have gotten it. It's the mm9000 at accessories 4 less. 5x150 for 750.00. Marantz is good stuff check it out. THX certified. Good stats but you never know for sure till you hook it up and play it. I bot my Paradigm for $ 1700.00 (Black Ash Paid $ 125 extra for the magnashield) I just saw the m80 for $1100.00 I have never heard a bad review on the Paradigm. Based on the opinions of the other yamahaulers on this site it would seem that these blend extremely well with the yamaha receivers but unless you have a flag ship receiver you will probably need an amp. I challenge you to find a cheaper speaker that reviews better than the Paradigms. This fact is one :) of the reasons I went with them, their ability to give the full spectrum of the music with clean distinction when I heard them was the final sell. I must admit I heard them on a Denon but am certain that the rx-v2400 with the 2505 amp will be as good if not better. Funny thing is that the Paradigms seem to have the same logo as the Axioms only at a different level. Read the Staff reviews of the Paradigm Studio 100 v3.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
I can't find any staff reviews on the 100's,only the 40's & 60's in the speaker faceoffs which is,initially,why I was comparing the Pinnacles & Axioms as there is a statement in there that "in regards to value there is not a better sounding speaker than the Pinnacle classic gold". I have gone to Paradigms website & have to admit that the 100's are impressive looking & stout @ 80+ lbs. each. I'm getting slight wood :eek: at the thought of going & listening to them.If they knock me over I may have to throw budget to the wind & get out the AMEX card.
I checked out the Marantz & it seems a little light (my 3300 weighs more) but will investigate other options.1st things 1st,find some speakers.

Thanks for the input.

Zip

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Dmoss,

Just got back from demo of Paradigm 60 v3's. WOW! I can only imagine what the 100's must sound like. They had a pr but they were not set up anywhere. I CANNOT fault you whatsoever for your choice & never really meant to. The soundstage that the 60's put out was very,very impressive. I listened to the Mon. Aud Gold ref's &, at $3000+ a pr, they got nothin on the Paradigms.Did you order yours direct from Paradigm? The store I went to had them priced @ $2200/pr. In fact, the 60's were $1600/pr.
In your honest opinion, are the Axioms in the same ballpark as the 'digms? Unless I can get a break somewhere, I'm gonna have to settle for the Axioms.

I can see why you chose the pair that you did.Nice.

J

jzac

Audioholic
RLA, those RBH MC-6CT MKII are sweeeet speakers, and I had auditioned them last year, but man...do they cost major mula!!! :rolleyes: They came out with the 400 watts double-firing 1212-SE subwoofer last year that costs a whopping $2,299! I mean... they must be having gold inside it for that kind of price. RBH brings out some superb speakers though, and I know the guys that run this forum love them to death. :)

zipper, them paradigm 100 v3 are superb speakers. It's really a treat to listem to them, and you will be blown out by them. Like you, I was tempted to go for them....but then the other voice told me to control. :D There's always going to be better speakers you would want... and the quest is never ending. Go for what you can afford now....with 'very little' sacrifice and then later when you have urge to setup that second system in place go for the best big king kong Legacy classic, or the Wharfedale Opus series speakers you can buy! ;) That's the 2-cents advice coming from someone who has 2 systems in place already. Don't break your wallet!

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Yeah, I agree,exercise restraint. I searched around a bit & was disappointed that I can't find the 'digms at the same price,or even close to, that dmoss got his. Found a place in Oregon that carries them but they're the same price as up here. If I could get the studio 60's at,say, $1200 I'd jump on them.I have to remember I capped myself @ $1000 for a reason,but if the right deal came along I'd stretch a bit. That's why I'm curious about the Axioms.I've heard you say that they sound almost as good as the 'digms & dmoss commented that he said they were decent. You two are the only people who have both prs of speakers in question here.If the Axioms are indeed a quality product,then I have no problem "settling" for them as they fit my budget & my only other choices would be something along the lines of Deftech,or Vienna bookshelf speakers. The viennas are sweet but it's kind of a farce to reality because then I'd have to spend at least another $1k on a decent sub to go with them.

Thanks for the input. All data helps.

D

dmoss

Junior Audioholic
The nicest thing about axiom is you have the 30 no questions asked return policy. As far as bang for the money you are spending they would be hard to beat.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
I'm going to order the Axiom m60's. I almost wish I hadn't listened to the 'digms.Beautiful speaker with a beautiful sound.They're obviously in demand because I can't find any used ones & I can't find any price breaks on them.Maybe next time. :(

Thanks for the input fellas. I'll let you know when I the Axioms.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis