Axiom Speakers - Reputation?

J

Jim Anchower

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi all,

Just another audio newbie here.  I've been poring over this site for a couple days now, in an effort to help me decide what to buy for my first HT system.

I was wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience with Axiom speakers, or knows anything about this company.  From their website, it looks like they only sell direct; I didn't see any kind of store locator or anything.  How would one listen to them first in that case?  Or is their reputation good enough so one can be assured of getting good equipment?

A couple things I like about them are 1) they have pre-defined sets that go together, and 2) they have a variety of available finishes.  While I don't have to worry about WAF, personally I would like something other than plain black boxes scattered about the room.

I am considering the Epic 50 and the Epic 60.

Thanks everyone for a great site!

Jim</font>

J

Jim Anchower

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I called Axiom yesterday and it turns out they do have dealers where you can go to listen to the units. &nbsp;The nearest one to me is in a neighboring city about an hour and half away.

Jim</font>

<font color='#000080'>Usually they are volunteers who are willing to let people come in and listen to the system in their home (I am a volunteer for the Myrtle Beach area, for example).

As for the system, the Epic 50 will probably sound great, but if you can, get the VP150 center. I would opt for that even over the M60ti upgrade.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Axiom has a few dealers in Toronto, but they do seem to be falling by the wayside. &nbsp;I can't explain why. &nbsp;They are very nice speakers, you can hear the quality that they have staked their reputations on. &nbsp;
One other company you may want to look at which delivers excellent quality at incredible prices is PSB. &nbsp;I have been absolutely amazed at their performance, from their entry level Alpha B's to their 5T Towers. &nbsp;You would be hard pressed to find better. &nbsp;
I've listened to them both, and you won't be disappointed either way.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Axiom is known for their customer service and state of the art equipment at budget prices</font>

austinbirdman

austinbirdman

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I own a pair of Axiom M60 Tis -- the mains on the Epic 60 -- and I absolutely love them. I recommend hanging out on the Axiom forum and getting advice, then pull the trigger on one of their systems.

My advice from lots of forum sessions (and my own love of the M60s) would be to get

* M60s
* VP 150
* QS 8s
* Sub from someone else -- HSU STF-2 and SVS being most heavily recommended.

The M50s are supposed to be fine speakers, but the M60s are the more popular -- I believe most popular -- main floorstander. If size is a concern, most people on the forum advise going with the M22Tis as bookshelves or wall mounts, and putting the cash-differential toward a great sub. Listeners compare the Axioms favorably / equally with Paradigms, Monitors and several other leading Canadian companies. They are highly accurate, neutral and somewhat forward-sounding speakers. What I appreciate most about my M60s, in order, are 1) the full imaging and soundstange, 2) tight, clean bass (really distinct, not boomy), 3) accuracy -- sometimes painful on poor recordings, but great when I hear classical musicians breathe, 4) great highs and upper mid-range, 5) incredible value.

One of the interesting things about the Axiom forum is that people on it freely recommend products from competing companies. Many for example suggest purchasing the HSU and SVS subs (HSU being the better deals) over the Axiom subs. To me, this shows incredible faith in their product on the part of Axiom -- and the forum members share that faith.

If you have to save money, save it on the surrounds (not the center, which carries so much of the sound for HT) and get either the QS-4s -- or as a less expensive but great alternative, buy the M2is as surrounds. They won't have the phase-delays of the quad-pole surrounds, but they will be nice for 5.1 music listening if you get into that, and they cost significantly less than the surrounds. (By the way, if you get the M50Tis instead of the M60s, then if you opt for radiant speakers as surrounds, you'll want the M3Tis, not the M2tis. The M40s, M50s and M3tis are one family, and the M2tis, M22tis, M60tis and M80tis are the second family.) I prefer higher floorstanders, which is why I looked only at the M60s and M80s.

You won't regret the purchase, and if you have doubts, rely on the knowledge of the 30-day guarantee. The forum and Axiom customer service are fantastic bonuses when you get into room set-up and configuration.

I don't work for them -- just an enthusiastic convert.</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi Jim,
I'm not sure how much enlightened opinion I can provide here but I purchased some Axiom QS4 dipoles as part of my surround setup 3 years ago from Laserland in Oakville (who are presently having a sale) and am extremely pleased with their performance.

I use Totem Model 1's X 4 plus the Signature center for music with the Axioms turned off.
For film I add the Axioms and a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze booksehelfs as my effects speakers.

My impression of Axiom is that they are excellent value for the price based their performance as surrounds. &nbsp;I have not auditioned them as main speakers but I've heard nothing but good things and as I said, I'm very happy with mine and would not hesitate to get the QS8's as surrounds if I had a larger room.

Anyway their certainly worth audioning as main speakers and I would put them in the same catagory as Paradigm which I own also (cc370 center ) in my second setup. &nbsp;I also had the Paradigm PDR8 sub until recently which is a great little sub for the money.

I'm gereralizing here but Canada produces some great speakers which have generally been looked upon as bargains south of the border given the cdn dollar.

Peter m.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>hi jim and every one-i own the m-80s and vp-150 from axiom and i bought them based on their design that i really liked and the reviews.
&nbsp; &nbsp;it was kind of scary to buy without ever hearing them,but i went for it &nbsp;and it really paid off for me.awesome speakers for &nbsp;the price,and then some,money back if you dont like them minus shipping.
&nbsp; take a chance,you will probably love them,(no i do not work for axiom)
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;good luck with your choice</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis