Axiom M80's vs Paradigm 90P's

T

TRADERXFAN

Audiophyte
studio 60's vs axiom costs

I am also looking for some good floorstanders. Yesterday listened to the
Paradigm studio 60's, monitor 7's, Definitive technology, B&W's, and Klipsch...

I found the studio 60's to be the best sounding. Dealer quoted me $1600 for the studio 60's. They had great imaging, and decent midbass. Monitor 7's were a significant step down but still better than the others I heard below. Also they used a gimmicky fake phase plug.

The definitve tech's (i didn't take down the model number) had no imaging, just spaciousness, more like a speaker for background music. It was pleasant, but not what I was looking for - I don't want to say they sound bad. They did have some built in subwoofer action, which improved the overall sound, but the imaging just wasn't there. I don't understand what the reviewers they post on their website are talking about. I think its like the old Ford tag line, you claim that which you don't have = Ford, Quality is job one.

The B&W -704s (don't know the price, but probably only in the $2-3K range) sounded just a bit shrill and compressed, I hope this was only due to the electronics, given their price.

Klipsch were actually quite horrible. I now truly know what "listener fatigue" is... As I stood outside the demo room after listening to them, I felt a sense of relief that I was out of there. They just don't have the quality in the horn design that's needed to pull it off, like an Avantgarde.

So for my ears, the Paradigm Studio 60's are leading the pack by far. Axiom 80's @ $1240/pr are a priced well below the studio 60's @$1600/pr. I will order them, too, for comparison.

I also plan on listening to the PSB 5T and 6T this weekend. Which I am expecting to be a fair contender at this price point.

J

jzac

Audioholic
newfmp3 said:
axiom 80's have been ordered. There was no way I can audition either the studio's or 80's before hand.

At least with the 80's I can send them back if I don't like them within 30 days.

With the studio's, the dealer basically wanted me to pay for them before I even heard them....forget it.

if I like the 80's, I'm going to order the matching center and surrounds. vp-150/qs8's
Good choice... you are gonna love the m80s once you have them hooked up with your carver amps.. together with the vp150, and the qs8 they are superb IMHO. I have my m80s driven by outlaw's m200s and the rest being powered by the yammie v2400... got myself the gigantic, but pleasing, EP600 subwoofer, which to me is absolutely the best sub sound I have ever heard... subterranean bass indeed! :D I tried out the PB12-Plus/2 and VTF-3MK2 and none of them sounded as clean, deep and high as this one... again, this is all subjective to my hearing. :) Enjoy it...

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
I ordered my m80's from their factory outlet on Thursday evening, and they arrived to me today, dinner time, absolutely flawless.

I spent the entire eveing listening to them and they are exacty the sound I was looking for. Very happy. they are bright, but that is what I was looking for. don't get me wrong, they are not harsh at all, and do not hurt my ears at all. Just nice and clear and detailed. And they are gorgeous speakers

My only complaint would be the thin screens they have. Other then that I am happy.

I went from a large 350 watt,15" Cerwin Vega D9 to this, and I am amazed at how much bass those little dual 6.5" drivers can push out. I'm actually finding I have to turn the bass down now.

Anyways, I won't bore you with details, any questions, just ask. Meantime, i plan to order more Axiom's for other rooms now that i know I love their sound. And their service is second to none.

Little tired now so good night

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
So for my ears, the Paradigm Studio 60's are leading the pack by far. Axiom 80's @ $1240/pr are a priced well below the studio 60's @$1600/pr. I will order them, too, for comparison.
This would be a great comparison that many readers would be interested in reading your feedback. Please keep us informed. Thanks.

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
oh, and Jzac, that sub looks amazing. I can only imagine the sound. I backed out of getting the 500. Just beyond my reach with everything else I need to buy and the room not finished. But I did get the vtf-3. It should be here before Monday. Interested in seeing that as well as I want to "feel" my bass a little more. I'm a bass nut.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
i was also debating wether or not to get the m80's, i have an hk 335, which only puts out 65 or so watts to each channel i think..

so ill probobly need another amp to run them, but i also heard that the extra tweeter makes it sound worse than the m60..

whenever you do get your m80's and test them out let me know what you think.

i have the m22ti's and they sound pretty nice, but i dont have too much to compare them with. i eventually want the qs8's and axiom center, and sub. but i heard monitor audio sounds so similar to axiom that most people wouldnt have a problem mis matching it up.

i might try out the silver series s8's too.

whats the best speaker.. m60, m80, or monitor audio s6, s8.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
newfmp3 said:
oh, and Jzac, that sub looks amazing. I can only imagine the sound. I backed out of getting the 500. Just beyond my reach with everything else I need to buy and the room not finished. But I did get the vtf-3. It should be here before Monday. Interested in seeing that as well as I want to "feel" my bass a little more. I'm a bass nut.
get a tactile transducer.. i made a post on it earlier.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
TRADERXFAN said:
I also plan on listening to the PSB 5T and 6T this weekend. Which I am expecting to be a fair contender at this price point.

Let me know how you make out with the PSB comparisons. The 5T are now the T55 and the 6T are now the T65. PSBs for some reason do get reviewed on this site. I chose the T45's over the Monitor 7s as I thought they had punchier tighter bass, treble seemed a lil smoother and through a more detailed soundstage. For $750 US list which I got for less, I thought they were the best bang for the buck.

J

jzac

Audioholic
newfmp3 said:
Oh yes, you'll feel it indeed! :) You'll like the vtf-3... very good and tight sound. I went for the EP600 plunge knowing that I won't need an upgrade for a verrrrrry long time for the sub! :D You can feel the base unlike anything you've experienced before...
Enjoy the new system!

N

neznarf

Audioholic Intern
From what I have read in various posts about spaker placement (positioning), sub placement is critical. You have to find the spot in YOUR room where it sounds best
from your listening position. With built-in subs you would not have this ability.

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
gene said:
This would be a great comparison that many readers would be interested in reading your feedback. Please keep us informed. Thanks.
Gene ... We are preparing for a blind test with a panel of `12 audiophiles listening to Energy Veritas 2.4i's, Axiom M80ti's, Rocket 850's and Paradigm 100 V.3's.

We need some Paradigm and Energy owners for the comparo ...

The test will take place in Erie, Pa. on September 24 ... and should be fun.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis