Axiom M2i's Speaker Measurements

E

EdR

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Over on the Axiom forum, someone posted this site:

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/speakermeasurements/

It's particularly interesting to compare the Axiom M2i's (at $225/pr) with many of the others. &nbsp;They are amazining flat down to 70 hz, with a very smooth rolloff below that. &nbsp;The Wilson Watt/Puppy 7's cost 100 times as much, and got a 'Golden Ear' from the absolute sound, but, at least in terms of frequency response, don't look near as good. &nbsp;The VS-1's, reviewed here, at four times the price, look about the same, though their cabinet resonances are a bit lower- the M2's seem to be up around 15K, where, I at least, probably don't care.

Combined with a very good pair of subs- it certainly might seem that one might be able to put together a true 'audiophile' quality speaker system for a fraction of what one might expect to pay. &nbsp;Comments?
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DJ_Stunna

Enthusiast
<font color='#0000FF'>I totally agree with you.  As long as you don't expect each of the speakers to put out more than 90 dB anechoic (more like 95 in room), you'll get very little distortion and very high quality sound.  I have them mated with a nice subwoofer and some misc. electronics and now they sound great after repositioning in my room.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Lets also not forget that just because a speaker measures well in an on-axis nearfield situation, doesn't necessarily tell you how it plays into a room. &nbsp;You can measure identical nearfield response of two different speakers, but how they ultimately play into the room can be another story.

Compression is also another very important metric to consider, as well as distortion.

Unfortunately loudspeakers are the hardest audio devices to correlate sound with measurements as there are too many complex factors, as well as personal preferences. &nbsp;Its tough to measure, and even tougher to design right. &nbsp;I don't envy loudspeaker engineers.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis