Axiom M22ti & EP175 vs. Athena AS-F2s

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Hello,

I was wondering what everyones take on which speaker setup wouldbe better for a 10'wx14'lx8'h room.  

My friend has a room this size, and wants to put together a Music/HT system.  He is looking at four to five receivers, and a multiple array of speakers.

The receivers are;

Many of these receiver will not be available until Aug/Sept, so until then there isn't a level playing field yet.

Yamaha RX-V2400
Yamaha RX-V1400
Denon AVR3803
Denon AVR2803
Sony STR-DA2000ES

The Speaker Setups Include;

Athena Sytem 1;
AS-F2s
AS-C1
AS-B1 w/ BTech 55lbs Wallmounts

Athena Sytem 2;

AS-C1 x five
Yamaha YST-SW315

Axiom

M22ti
VP100
QS4
EP175

M60ti
VP100
QS4
Yamaha YST-SW315 (optional)

:)~

Bob</font>

<font color='#000080'>Is there a budget? I see no reason to choose M22ti(s) over M60ti(s) otherwise... same for the 1400 vs. 2400 Yamahas...</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>hawke,

well considering the system is gonna put together piece by piece, however my friend is also in college too. &nbsp;This poses some iadequate funds, so yes it does, however if he goes with the M60ti he won't buy a sub. &nbsp;Or should he spend around the same by getting the M22ti+EP175?

Please bear in mind he may go with the Athenas too, which has heard and knows he likes. &nbsp;How does Axiom compare to Definitive? &nbsp;This may better help him, because he has heard my speakers many times, with familiar material too.

:0~

Bob</font>

M

Mate

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I have a simular dims in my livingroom and I would choose the Yamaha RXV1400 with the the Athena AS line as follows:

Fronts: AS-B2 with stands
Rears: &nbsp;S-5 from the Point Five system these come with wall mount and brakets or AS-B1 ( no brakets)
Center: AS-C1
Sub: &nbsp; &nbsp; AS-P400

The AS series are all timber matched and they have great reviews and an awsome sound. You can get them at Best buys but the S-5 can be purchsed seperately in pairs on the internet. If you have a bigger budget I would go with the AS-F2 in the front and As-B1 in the rear. I have the AS-F2 with the AS-C1 and will be pruchasing the P400 and the S-5 rear. The sound of the AS line with the Yamaha RXV1400 is like liquid music. I have the Yamaha RXV1400 and I love this Amp but I f I had a chance to upgrade I would go with teh SonySTR-DA4ES.

Let me know how you made out.</font>

D

dis

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I own some athena's.

Personally I wouldn't go with the AS-C1, I have it and I don't find it all that loud. I had to turn up the center channel balance to +5 in order to properly hear dialog.

Also don't go with the AS-B2, instead if you can find their older SCT series of speakers like the S2/S3 go with those since they feature a more rigid cone, and better bass. I'd get the S3's for fronts and I would probably go with an Axion VP100 or a B&amp;W LCR60 for a center.

One more quick note, I had a yamaha HTR-5640 which used to drive my athena setup 3-spearks (S1's front L/R, AS-C1 center). I found that it didn't drive them as loud and clear as my now 5 year old harman/kardon.

Maybe the RXV-1400 won't have this same problem since it's much more powerful but it's just something to keep an eye/ear out for.

PS: I know they still sell their SCT series of speakers, I emailed them not even a month ago.</font>

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
<font color='#000000'>I would rule out most 7.1 receivers based on the fact that most people's listening environments (rooms) cannot really benefit from 7.1. &nbsp;In other words, the &nbsp;room is too small to truly take advantage of &nbsp;7.1 . &nbsp;I would find a 6.1 or 5.1 receiver and save some money.

I would rule out the Axiom sub altogether and find yourself something with alot more punch for about the same money. It is a very musical sub as I did extensive auditions on it. I also audtioned &nbsp;the PSB Subsonic5 and Paradigm PDR10. &nbsp; I chose PSB as it offered almost the same quick response for music as the Axiom but it absolutely slammed both the Paradigm and Axiom up against the wall for HT purposes. &nbsp;I lived without a sub for a year and noticed my HT lacking in grunt. For music I was OK as I have towers that have a reasonably good bottom end response. SO in that case, I would chose the Axiom towers and save up for the sub.

If you do choose to go the Athena route, the Athena sub is reported my HT magazine and/or Sound and Vision to have a good strong response down to around 30Hz. &nbsp;

My 2cents worth.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis