Axiom Factory Visit and Audition - Take #2

R

renfronics

Enthusiast
Like many on here, I have been struggling to make what I believe to be a pretty big decision on what speakers I should purchase that sound the best, give me the most "bang for the buck," and fit my room/listening preferences - I've read a lot of opinions over the last couple months on Paradigms, B&W, Axiom, Athena - all the major brands but when I had the opportunity to visit Axiom's factory (just like the reviewers on this board did), I said I had to go for it.

I was in Toronto this past weekend playing in an old-man hockey tournament (HNA Championships) - and spoke with Brent and Joe at Axiom about setting up a chance for me to "audition" the speakers. Ewing (small town of a few hundred) is about 2.5 hours north of Toronto (out in the middle of bumf^$@), and with a hectic game schedule for the tournament, finding a chance to get there between games was going to be very difficult.

I wound up finding that the only time available was at 7:30 AM on Saturday morning. This didn't bother Joe one bit - (I myself wouldn't have been as receptive as he was) - I got up at 5:30 AM and drove up there to do a listening test - I don't know when he got up, but it was probably around the same time.

While the testing room wasn't the best asthetically, the sound from the speakers made up for it - I tested the MTi80s, VP 150, QS8s, and EP500. My test CDs included Billy Joel Greatest Hits Volume 3 (for piano), Dave Matthews Band, a Solo Piano Music CD, Handel, J.S. Bach, The ROCK soundtrack, Mozart, and a jazz CD that I can't recall -

As far as sound goes, the speakers were pretty bright - but that's what I like about them and is the reason I'm choosing them over the MTi60s. The other reason is that I have about 6000 cubic feet of area and want plenty of power. One thing that really stuck out in my head that I guess could be said about all higher end speakers - they make good recordings sound better and make bad recordings sound worse. In the solo piano music, I couldn't tell that there wasn't a piano in the room with us - however, on some of the CDs where music was ripped from MP3, or copied in other fashions, you could really tell how "airy" the sound was. The sound was ample, and even when the volume went up, the crisp nature was still impecable.

I wanted to test the subwoofer as well, and used the soundtrack from the movie "The Rock" - I didn't bring the actual DVD, but figured the soundtrack would also be a decent test - and I wasn't disappointed. I heard things on the low end that I never had heard before, and that sealed it for me. I know a lot of people on here swear by SVS or HSU, but this seemed deep and crisp enough for me.

I am purchasing the system I mentioned above and am expecting delivery in the next six weeks - one final note involves the finish on the speakers I'm getting - I went ahead and spent the extra grand to have the high gloss black finish applied to all of the components - I wanted to match them to the piano I have in the same room - and they didn't disappoint there either. I paid $10 to have a high gloss sample fed-exed to me complete with a sample grill cover for what I'd get - even though Axiom isn't going to get the sample back, they are crediting the $10 towards my purchase. Also, the high end cables that Axiom sells weren't pushed on me either - there was consensus among the people there that the bulk speaker wire they sell at a fraction of the cost would do just as well. Just other little things that have convinced me of the correctness of my decision to go with this company.

Overall, I guess I'm impressed with the package deal these guys offer --- It wasn't surprising to me that they'd open their doors wide to have the reviewers and moderators of such an expansive forum come in and take a peak like they did for the Audioholics folks - that just makes business sense - but when it's just some simple 26 year old guy who knows next to nothing and wants to hear what he's buying at 7:30AM on your off day, I guess I didn't think they'd have the red carpet rolled out --- or even be willing/able to make it happen - they definitely surpassed my expectations, and I seriously can't wait to get the speakers - for some reason, I think they'll sound better because of the positive experience I've had.

Disclaimer - Axiom has definitely not paid me anything to write this review - it's how I really feel and I would be happy to provide further details should anyone be interested.

Disclaimer #2 - If anyone at AxiomAudio wants me to write more, please send a check to ...............

Regards,

Ben

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
That's so awesome. What a great experience that speaks volumes about the type of people you're dealing with. I'm in a similar situation...not the visiting thing, but looking to buy a new set up and looking specifically at internet based makers. I'm ready to pull the trigger at any moment, but am hesitant right now as I want to get it right. I initially toyed with the idea of ordering a fews sets to A/B them...but that just isn't financially feasible for me. So, after tons of reading, I've narrowed it down between Axiom and Onix/AV123. Ascend and Aperion are out...that's not a statement against either company, simply a personal preference. My finger is on the button for either an Axiom M60ti/VP100 set up, or a Rocket 550/ELT CSE set up. Hearing such positive remarks about a company you're considering certainly makes you feel more comfortable. That's great to hear.

By the way, did you demo any of their other offerings, or just the M80's?

R

renfronics

Enthusiast
I demoed what I mentioned above because that's what I've researched and I didn't want to spend all day there - I had to be back in Toronto by 11:15, so it was only about a 45 minute audition. He had M60's setup, but I spent all of my time with M80s. Everything else was ready to go before I got there - I really didn't consider the 350 subwoofer because it is too small for my area, or the 600 because it's physically too big for the space I've got for the subwoofer. As for center channel - they recommend the 150 with either the MTi80s or Mti60s so that was an easy choice, and the surrounds - really no reason for me not to go with QS8s. I'm not on a terribly strict budget, although every dollar counts just as much as the other. Honestly, I don't think it would have mattered if I was only buying one speaker from them as opposed to the entire set - there was a general interest in making sure I got what I came for.

I did demo some of the different settings on the receiver to see what the speakers would sound like under different conditions, however, that was more of an pre-amp and amp test than a speaker test. I would assume that the MTi60s are just as good, with a little less power behind them.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Curious....what were they using to drive these speakers during your demo?

Mort

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
As far as sound goes, the speakers were pretty bright - but that's what I like about them and is the reason I'm choosing them over the MTi60s. The other reason is that I have about 6000
Hello
I am currently conducting a review of the Axiom M-80,VP-150,QS-8 and Ep-600 I am just starting to get them placed correctly and am beginning to get a grasp on how they sound. I would not characterize the sound as bright I would say they are revealing and dynamic This is exactly the traits you should be looking for when considering a speaker for multi-channel applications Without giving the review away I would say anyone looking for a speaker system in this price range would be Looney (pun intended) If they did not demo these ;)

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
renfronics said:
Overall, I guess I'm impressed with the package deal these guys offer --- It wasn't surprising to me that they'd open their doors wide to have the reviewers and moderators of such an expansive forum come in and take a peak like they did for the Audioholics folks - that just makes business sense - but when it's just some simple 26 year old guy who knows next to nothing and wants to hear what he's buying at 7:30AM on your off day, I guess I didn't think they'd have the red carpet rolled out --- or even be willing/able to make it happen - they definitely surpassed my expectations, and I seriously can't wait to get the speakers - for some reason, I think they'll sound better because of the positive experience I've had.
I bet they will sound better because of your positive experience. ;) Great post and thanks for sharing your experience. I wonder if any members have had a chance to visit the SVS sub factory. If so maybe start a new thread with your thoughts. Enjoy your new speakers.

R

renfronics

Enthusiast
I wasn't paying a lot of attention - I believe it was an Outlaw Pre Amp and a Yamaha Amp - but not completely sure. I was told I wouldn't need an Amp (I'm also purchasing Yamaha RX-V2500).

As I learned very early in my research on here - bright to one person may be revealing and dynamic to another - to me, I don't care what the words are - they sound terrific -

I would also be interested in hearing about members who have been to the SVS or HSU factory and their experiences both positive and/or negative if applicable.

RLA - where and when do you expect your review to be available??? Also - BAD PUN - I can't get rid of all my Canadian Change now!!!! Most currency exchange folks only deal in paper money!!!

Ben

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Duffinator said:
I bet they will sound better because of your positive experience. ;) Great post and thanks for sharing your experience. I wonder if any members have had a chance to visit the SVS sub factory. If so maybe start a new thread with your thoughts. Enjoy your new speakers.
I'll be traveling back to Youngstown, OH, next month. I plan on stopping by the factory.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
I wasn't paying a lot of attention - I believe it was an Outlaw Pre Amp and a Yamaha Amp - but not completely sure. I was told I wouldn't need an Amp (I'm also purchasing Yamaha RX-V2500).
The RVX 2500 will be more than enough for this speaker package The RVX-2500 is one of the
Pieces I am using to evaluate the Axiom speakers .The Axiom speakers are rated at 4 ohms but
They are pretty efficient and I had no trouble running them beyond reference level in my very large
Dedicated Home Theater with the RXV 2500 I commented about bright sound because in the audiophile community bright is considered a bad word ridiculous yes but that is the mind set.
Revealing, dynamic and effortless with a slightly forward and aggressive nature is the way I would characterize the sound ;)

RLA - where and when do you expect your review to be available??? Also - BAD PUN - I can't get rid of all my Canadian Change now!!!! Most currency exchange folks only deal in paper money!!!

I just started the review so it will be some time but if any of you have questions feel free to PM me I also have the 600 subs here and they are Monsters.

As for the comment about the money ( Looney)
I feel like I have earned the right to joke with our northern friends My Mom is Canadian and I was
Continually ribbed and joshed on every opportunity when I travel up there for visits God knows I loved every minute of it too as long as I had a cold Labbats Blue in hand :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
MacManNM said:
I'll be traveling back to Youngstown, OH, next month. I plan on stopping by the factory.
I'm trying to find the actual address for you. I know they are in Liberty somewhere, probably near the old "Boat Yard" nightclub down the street from St. Elizabeth hospital. Remember "Jimmy Buffet Night?" Do you have the actual address? Here's something I found on google.

SV Subwoofers was founded in 1999 with one goal in mind: to build subwoofers that offer reference-caliber performance and high value. Headquartered in Liberty Township outside Youngstown, Ohio, SVS began designing cylindrical subs, a style made popular by Poh Ser Hsu of Hsu Research. Then, realizing that not everyone wanted a tall black tube in his or her living room, SVS went to work on more traditional box-style designs. The company now sells seven different box subs through their website. The SVS PB12-Ultra/2 ($1999 USD in textured black, $2399 with wood finish) is the model just below the company’s B12-Plus/4 flagship.

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
funny, I mentioned on the axiom forums about running my m80's on a yamaha amp, and they all said that's a big no no. more or less said that the yammie's can't handle the 4 ohm load. Using the yammie as a pre amp is ok of course and just use a external power amp.

Denon, HK, Nad, outlaw all seemed to be better for 4 ohm load

R

renfronics

Enthusiast
That's not exactly what I was told - can someone chime in who is actually running M80s from just a RXV2500 - if that is possible???? If so, is performance impacted?

Z

Zarg

Junior Audioholic
So Close ... So Far

I was in Toronto recently and I too wanted to visit the Axiom factory, which is way the heck up north in the forests (or so it seemed on MapQuest). Unfortunately, I was there in January and I was told that the drive (in the snow) was more like 4 hours (each way) than 2.5.

So I missed my opportunity to audition the speakers. Oh well, I bought 'em anyway, based on the positive reviews I read here and elsewhere. I think I made a good choice!

snakeyes

snakeyes

Audioholic Intern
i believe a few people on the axiom forum run that yamaha on a 4ohm load. but if you call axiom they tell their experience.

F

footman

Junior Audioholic
axiom and yamaha

I run the 80's using a yamaha rxv-3300 with no difficuties. The system is set up for home theater and high rez formats. Everything sounds wonderful.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis