Axiom, Aperion, or Mordaunt

A

American_rob

Audiophyte
So my high-end options are between Axiom, Aperion, and Mordaunt. Has anyone listened to these side-by-side or done their own analysis and can give me their reasons for picking one over the others? These guys seem like some of the most recomended on this site and others and seem to have great bang-for-the-buck. I have read all the reviews here and online but want "real people" feedback.

-Again trying to stay under $2000
-Room is 19' x 19' with 10' ceilings
-Paired with Yamaha RX-V1500 (or Onkyo TX-SR702 or Denon AVR-2805)
-75% movies and 25% music

7.1 Configs:
Mordaunt-Short: 2x Avant 902 (front), 1x Avant 905c (center), 4x Avant 903s Dipole (side & rear), 1x MS909W (Sub)
Aperion: 2x Intimus 522D-LR (front), 1x Intimus 522D-VAC (center), 2x Intimus 522D-SS Dipole (side), 2x Intimus 522D-LR (rear), 1x Intimus S-10 (sub)
Axiom: 2x Millennia M22ti (front), 1x VP100 (center), 2x QS4 (side), 2x M2i (rear), 1x EP350 (sub)

Well just want to hear what everyone thinks. Have the system like it? did the same research? am I missing something I should consider? anything...?

Thanks a lot for any help.

-Rob

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I've heard them all, but not side by side. I was most impressed with the Axiom systems. Had great midrange - most likely due to more drivers, which is what you'll need for movies (dialogue). If I was doing it again, I'd go with this setup (may be a little over your budget, but I love that system). They are also some of the nicest looking speakers on the market - grills on or off!

www.axiomaudio.com/epicgrandmaster_500main.html

snakeyes

snakeyes

Audioholic Intern
i demoed (not side by side) aperion powertower surround set-up at hes 2004. and the axiom at someones house im not a very technical person so i will just say i liked the detail and accuracy of the axioms. also the power towers just something about there design i did not like but the sound was very good just not as impresive imo as the axioms. i ended up buying the epic 60-350 with the vp150 center had it for about a month and i love it. just my 2 pennies ymmv
also check the axiom site for in home auditions and aperion pays shipping both ways if you are unhappy so check them both oiut and let your ears be your guide
Jake

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Strange statement on the Axiom website...

The Epicenter EP600 is going to transform your listening experience. With the help of XLF (an Intelligent DSP chip), you will finally hear spectacular deep bass -- as low as 10 Hz in a room! The EP600 XLF produces the deepest, smoothest, cleanest loud bass you will ever hear.

Since the human ear can only hear 20hz to 20,000hz, that's pretty amazing. I just noticed that. Axiom should update that, don't you think? Anyhow, still great stuff.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
20 Hz - 20 kHz is the accepted range of human hearing but just as most people can't truly hear anything over about 18 kHz, most can't really hear 20 Hz either. However, you can FEEL 20 Hz and lower and so having a sub capable of reproducing frequencies down that low can be a good thing (that is if you are into bone-jarring bass. :))

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Let us know what you do pick and how it works out for you. I've seen decent prices on some Mordaunt's and have always wondered how good they sound. :)

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
American_rob said:
7.1 Configs:
Mordaunt-Short: 2x Avant 902 (front), 1x Avant 905c (center), 4x Avant 903s Dipole (side & rear), 1x MS909W (Sub)
Aperion: 2x Intimus 522D-LR (front), 1x Intimus 522D-VAC (center), 2x Intimus 522D-SS Dipole (side), 2x Intimus 522D-LR (rear), 1x Intimus S-10 (sub)
Axiom: 2x Millennia M22ti (front), 1x VP100 (center), 2x QS4 (side), 2x M2i (rear), 1x EP350 (sub)

Well just want to hear what everyone thinks. Have the system like it? did the same research? am I missing something I should consider? anything...?

Thanks a lot for any help.

-Rob
Have you considered Ascend Acoustics? I picked them over the Axioms. The 170s replaced Paradigm Mini-Monitors in my home. And I no longer desire Studio 20s.

S

slopoke

Audioholic Intern
Axioms

I've got Axiom: 2x Millennia M22ti (front), 1x VP150 (center), 2x QS8 (side), 2x M2i (rear), 1x Mirage OM-200 (sub)

Very very close and I love them. I would suggest going for the VP150 instead of the VP100. Also you will hear those M2is in the rear. I turn mine down 2db to minimize that.

S

Seabear

Enthusiast
Well, my Axiom set is a bit different than what you are considering, I have the 60s, 150, Qs8s, 350 & M2is, but I absolutely love them.
I have not heard either of the other choices that you list, so I cannot directly compare the Axioms to those, but I did listen to most of the Boston's, Klipsh, Kef, Def Tech, B&W, and others out there, and like these Axioms better than anything else that I heard (that I could afford!) As a matter of fact, it was the comparisons to the B&W 703s that got me interested in the M60s in the first place. And that comparison is indeed pretty valid. They are damn close for less than a third of the $$$. I bought my whole system for less than a pair of the 703s.
I too read everything I could find on the net and was a bit worried about not being able to hear them before ordering, but all of the great reviews finally won out.
I assume that you can listen to the other two choices on your list.
If you like, you can go to the Axiom site and check the forums to see if there is anyone in the "Auditioning Axioms in your area" thread that is nearby you so you can go over there and give them a listen. Most of us Axiom owners are a pretty friendly lot.
Or, you can just take the plunge with the knowledge that if you do not like them you can always send them back, they do come with a 30 day no questions asked return policy. (but you pay return shipping...)
Just my two cents, and be forewarned, us Axiomites are like Mormons spreading the word... But there is a reason for that kind of enthusiasm!

L

littleb

Junior Audioholic
Seabear said:
Well, my Axiom set is a bit different than what you are considering, I have the 60s, 150, Qs8s, 350 & M2is, but I absolutely love them.
I have not heard either of the other choices that you list, so I cannot directly compare the Axioms to those, but I did listen to most of the Boston's, Klipsh, Kef, Def Tech, B&W, and others out there, and like these Axioms better than anything else that I heard (that I could afford!) As a matter of fact, it was the comparisons to the B&W 703s that got me interested in the M60s in the first place. And that comparison is indeed pretty valid. They are damn close for less than a third of the $$$. I bought my whole system for less than a pair of the 703s.
I too read everything I could find on the net and was a bit worried about not being able to hear them before ordering, but all of the great reviews finally won out.
I assume that you can listen to the other two choices on your list.
If you like, you can go to the Axiom site and check the forums to see if there is anyone in the "Auditioning Axioms in your area" thread that is nearby you so you can go over there and give them a listen. Most of us Axiom owners are a pretty friendly lot.
Or, you can just take the plunge with the knowledge that if you do not like them you can always send them back, they do come with a 30 day no questions asked return policy. (but you pay return shipping...)
Just my two cents, and be forewarned, us Axiomites are like Mormons spreading the word... But there is a reason for that kind of enthusiasm!

The man knows his speakers.

H

hoarlmi

Audiophyte
Additional Info Please???

Not trying to move in on someone elses post, but I'm relatively new in the game and in a similar situation...Plus I really like the feedback I've read so far.

I was also looking at the Axioms (5.1 - 22's, 150,QS8's, & 350) and the Aperion setup mentioned in the previous post; however, I was also interested in
Ascend's (3x 340's for LCR, 170's in the Rear, & HSU VTF Sub)
Rocket ELT-1Dse (w/sub upgrade to ULW or UFW)
SVSubwoofer PB10-ISD

I been doing nothing but reading for the past month since before I purchased my Pio 1014 and 578a, but am still have some major questions. Again I like the feed back I seen so far, but my real reason for posting here is to solicit some additional feedback on how exactly to demo these speakers...Now i don't mean what kind of music or movies, but more so what if any suggestions you have on how to demo 4 different sets of speaker and subs without taking out a home equity line until I can return the unwanted components. If anyone also could anything else to include the setups I've added and potentially narrow my list, that would be appreciated too.

thanks,

Mike

B

bray

Audioholic Intern
auditioning in your area

Mike
For auditioning Axioms go here http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=first&Number=76567&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=.
You should be able to find someone in your neck of the woods.

As far as the Rockets go, I believe they have a simular thread, where you can find people in your area willing to let you hear theirs.

Ascends, I'm not sure about how you would set up an audition.

From what I've heard, all three companys make a very good speaker for the money, but only your ears know whitch is the right one for you.

I own the Axiom Epic 60 package, and love it for both music and movies.
Good Luck on your quest.
Bray

H

hoarlmi

Audiophyte
Agreed...

I've seen the generous folks who have offered up there environment to shed some light on the situation, but my concern is that it is exactly that...their environment...and I'm not sure how much that would influence my decision. I have a funky (no reference to the 70's) room that I'm trying to put these speakers in. It is roughly 20' x 14' with 10'->18' foot vaulted ceilings on top of the 20' walls, TV along the far 14' wall and the other 14' wall completely open to my kitchen. Plus there are a few windows and french doors in the mix as well. I was really hoping to get some additional information on the process of autioning them in my house...

Like Should I just start with 2 speakers from each brand, or just start off with 2 brands, or maybe include the center too, or whether or not to audition with the sub or with out, etc...

That type of stuff. I'm tired of reading and want to get my hands dirty in my own house, but want to be as efficient as possible in doing so.

I really appreciate the help all you guys have already given on this and every other post I've read.

Thanks,

Mike

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
The Ascend 340 match up against the Rocket 550s and the Axiom M60. The ELTs are Rockets' entry level speaker. Personally I'll take the 340 and 550 over the M60 and I did hear them all in the same room with the same gear in the same listening session.

If you're going to be running this set-up with a sub then audition using one.

H

hoarlmi

Audiophyte
Good stuff...

Thanks Tex, I was trying to stick with bookshelf speakers and the Rocket 550's/250's were a little bit more then I was hoping to spend...to be quite honest the 340's were pushing it as far as $'s per pair are concerned, but I appreciate the feedback.

As of right now the Axiom system that I spec'd out was at the high end of my price range at around $1900 and if I could get the same quality for less I'm all for it. I'm really new to this game and I'm not looking to blow my wad with my first purchase as I'm sure it will be a learning experience...I just really want to make sure I get quality sound for the money and the engineer in me causes me to over analyze things anytime I spend on anything electronic. It's also the engineer in me that is trying to get this process to be as efficient as possible. If you are suggesting I listen to things with a sub, any opinion on which one or how I should setup the audition? I was thinking of just getting a pair of speakers from each vendor to keep things simple, but when you through all of the subs in too it makes my wallet hurt just thinking about it :D. Any other suggestions are usual appreciated.

Mike

S

slopoke

Audioholic Intern
I think most of us here do things the same way. We buy what we think is the best equipment at the price we can afford. We love it until the itch comes over us and the knowledge that there is somthing better out there that we didn't think we could afford before. We upgrade to the new equipment and start back at step one of loving it.

Most people here will push you to get the stuff they own as that confirms their choice. And they really do love their choice right now.

You're trying to be scientific in your selection process, and that's good, just don't put too much weight on what you hear here.

Try to audition the equipment you are thinking about somewhere (You can come listen to my Axioms and most on-line vendors have a list of people that will do the same.) then make up your own mind. Listen to speakers and subs on their own and decide on the best of each on their own merits, not on a "system" configuration. Speakers need to be "timber matched" subs don't.

H

hoarlmi

Audiophyte
understood...

Chicago's a bit far from Jersey, but I appreciate the offer. I am definitely on the same page with you...that opinions are like a$$holes everyone...has one and they're not all the same, so I am taking all comments regarding preference with a grain of salt. That's why I was really trying to figure out the easiest and most cost effective way to audition them all. i'll worry about eating the any shipping cost on a pair of bookshelf speakers...but when you through subs in there it makes those numbers a lot less manageable. So when you talk about chosing each on its own merits...are you suggesting to judge the speakers with no sub and look at the sub after the fact or which sub you listen to them with doesn't matter?

If it is the latter, I will likely just get the aperion sub with the speakers to start as there are no shipping costs if I don't select it in the long run.

Mike

P.S. Has anyone had any interaction with the Axiom 350 sub...I've seen lots of info on the 500 and 600, but I was under the impression that the 350 was new as well just seems to get overlooked in all the reviews I've read.

S

slopoke

Audioholic Intern
hoarlmi said:
So when you talk about chosing each on its own merits...are you suggesting to judge the speakers with no sub and look at the sub after the fact or which sub you listen to them with doesn't matter?

If it is the latter, I will likely just get the aperion sub with the speakers to start as there are no shipping costs if I don't select it in the long run.
What you say is fine. What I was suggesting is just to not think of speakers and a sub as a "system" until you've decided on each and it's your system. Try out speakers with whatever sub is handy and try out subs with whatever speaker is handy. Just be careful to judge each without regard to the other. (This can be harder than it sounds. Especially the speakers. I'd tend to evaluate them on their own.)

P.S. I didn't really expect you to come to Chicago, but, Axiom's site has a list of people who will let you audition in their home. Probably some in Jersey. Any reputable on-line site will have the same deal.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
hoarlmi said:
Thanks Tex, I was trying to stick with bookshelf speakers and the Rocket 550's/250's were a little bit more then I was hoping to spend...to be quite honest the 340's were pushing it as far as $'s per pair are concerned, but I appreciate the feedback.

As of right now the Axiom system that I spec'd out was at the high end of my price range at around $1900 and if I could get the same quality for less I'm all for it. I'm really new to this game and I'm not looking to blow my wad with my first purchase as I'm sure it will be a learning experience...I just really want to make sure I get quality sound for the money and the engineer in me causes me to over analyze things anytime I spend on anything electronic. It's also the engineer in me that is trying to get this process to be as efficient as possible. If you are suggesting I listen to things with a sub, any opinion on which one or how I should setup the audition? I was thinking of just getting a pair of speakers from each vendor to keep things simple, but when you through all of the subs in too it makes my wallet hurt just thinking about it :D. Any other suggestions are usual appreciated.

Mike
The Ascend 170 is the speaker to compare to the other two. The 340s are a clear step above is what I was trying to say. You could use the forums to see if thru auditions you can narrow it down to two to try in your space with your gear.

If music is your top priority the UFW-10 would be my choice for the sub.

H

hoarlmi

Audiophyte
I kinda figured that's what you meant...and to be honest I was originally looking at the 170's, but the price point jump that hit that next level with the 340's seemed doable so that's what I listed. To be honest, I was actually planning on getting both the 340's and the 170's for my initial two speaker trials...this way if I liked the sound of the Ascend's best, I could then make the judgement call of whether or not the sound improvement is worth the money (at least for my initial purchase). The way I figure it...if I went with a 5.1 setup of (4) 170's and a 340 center, I could always upgrade to 7.1 later by getting an additional pair of 340's for the fronts at that point. Like I said before, if my initial setup can give me more sound for less money in using the 170's (again assuming the ascends suit my environment and listening preference) and the improvement provided by the 340's is not warranted at this time then I'll have a couple extra $$'s to put towards the video end of things and that is just fine with me.

As far as the sub goes, I would have to say that my setup will likely be used for 70% for Movies and 30% music, but that Earth Shattering Bass is not something I really need thanks to little one that will likely be sleeping somewhere in the house at the time the system is getting used. Based on what I've read so far on all the subs I've mentioned and the fact that the UFW is likely the most detailed or articulate as opposed to the most outspoken (at least of the list I mentioned)...you are echoing my initial sentiment. So agian thanks...if for nothing more then making me think that I've not wasted the past few weeks/months reading on these posts and reviews. Still planning on letting my ears be the judge.

Thanks Again,

Mike

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis