F

FN2003

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Could you tell me between the

ONKYO TX-SR 800, ONKYO TX-NR 900 and Denon AVR 3803 (3803 does not offer THX certif. but has A/B option, which you recommend and why?

I have listened to ONKY TX-SR 600 and Denon AVR 3803 both sound good.

I have never listened to or operated ONKYO TX-SR 800 or ONKYO TX-NR 900, they have plenty of features. Do you know if these two last unit have processor that is upgradeable?

Thanks
Fred</font>

P

Phil

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I owned an Onkyo DS797, but took it back because it cut out in dolby. &nbsp;I really liked the way it sounded however. &nbsp;I would suspect that the SR800 would sound about the same. &nbsp;To my knowledge the only difference between the 800 and the 900 would be the net tune radio and a RS-232 port. &nbsp;I'm not sure if that would make the 900 upgradeable.

After I returned the Onkyo I bought a Denon 3803 and love it. &nbsp;I felt that the sound was noticably warmer and more detailed that the Onkyo. &nbsp;The components IMO are superior and the video switching is superior. &nbsp;Plus you get 10 extra watts per channel. &nbsp;IMO the THX cert. is meaningless. &nbsp;

If you have your heart set on an Onkyo you might check out the Integra 7.3. &nbsp;It is not much different than the 800 but it has net tune and an RS-232. &nbsp;Plus it might be cheaper than the 900.

Phil</font>

R

RDL

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I have owned a number of Denon products, and have been nothing but satisfied with every one. &nbsp;I currently own the Denon AVR-3600 receiver with a Denon POA 5000 power amplifier. &nbsp;I have had a chance to use the 3802, and loved it. &nbsp;It had more then enough power to run Paradigm Studio 100's, Studio 20's and a Paradigm Studio CC. &nbsp;Denon's quality really shows on its high end receivers, and the 3802 is no exception.

I have also used an older Onkyo receiver (TX-SV717PRO), and was not happy with it at all. &nbsp;Mainly because of it quit after a year of use. &nbsp;Another receiver option you might want to look into is a HK, or maybe a Yamaha.</font>

F

FN2003

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for response, I tried YAMAH HTR-5540 (80 w/channel) and Denon AVR-3803 (110 w/channel) side by side with my  speakers 5.1 ( Acoustimass 15).

YAMAHA, when turn the volume all the way up after 90% got some distortion. However below 90% it sounded crisper than DENON and a bit louder.

DENON, Turned it up all the way and sounded great. However did not sound as loud as YAMAHA even though it is suppose to be 110 w/channel vs. YAMAHA, which is only 80 w/channel.

Could anyone tell me why YAMAHA sounds louder, could I change setting for DENON to work better with my  speakers?

Note that I just ordered the DENON 3803.

Thanks
Fred
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RDL

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Denon tends to roll-off the top end of their receivers.  The result is a softer, tube like sound.  This Denon characteristic may be to blame for the loudness difference you heard. I owned a Yamaha's RX-V2090 receiver a while back.  When I brought my Denon AVR-3600 home, the softer sound was the first difference that I noticed.  On the plus side for Denon, it sounded tighter on the bass notes compared to the Yamaha.  Both the Denon and Yamaha are respectable receivers, but I think that the Denon will perform better overall.

Happy listening...
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis