AV Receivers and speaker compatibilty

S

Sanjay

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi

Was planning to buy a Denon 1404 AV Receiver with 8 ohms
and Jamo speakers E 570 of 4 ohms...Would they be compatible and give me the best sound?Someone told me that the amp shud always be less powerful in Ohms than the speaker...is that right?
Wud appreciate any advice from audiophiles here

Thanks
Sanjay</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>ohm (§Ù) : A unit of electrical resistance or impedance, that which opposes an electric current in a conductor.

Ohm¡¯s Law : A basic law of electrical circuits, the mathematical relationship between electrical voltage, current and resistance: the current in an electric conductor is directly proportional to the voltage across it and inversely proportional to its resistance, i.e., the voltage and current in a conductor exhibit a linear relationship. It states that the current, I, in amperes in a circuit is equal to the voltage, V, in volts divided by the resistance, R, in ohms: thus, I=V/R. Ohm¡¯s law works for DC, and for AC if the resistance is a pure resistance, but if the resistance has any reactive components, inductance or capacitance, the current depends on the frequency as well as the voltage.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>I am guessing you are not in the U.S.A. I have viewed A/V 1404 in other countries, and it looks as if it can not handle a 4ohm load. Your friend was wrong. Ohms is not power. You want your receiver that is rated only at 8ohms to be used with 8ohm speakers.

There will be a DYNAMIC POWER RATING in a receivers specifications that states its power respectively. It would look something like this:
8/6/4/2ohm................145/185/240/320w
Or it could be listed with the output like this:
100wx5(8ohms) 110wx6(6ohms) This would mean that this receiver can only handle a 6ohm load!

Hope this helps!</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis