AV Receiver vs Integrated Amp for vinyl

V

vedabhyas

Audiophyte
I’m hearing from friends that the difference between running a turntable with a built in pre-amp through an AV receiver or a dedicated 2 channel integrated amp is minimal. I'm a noob with very little understanding of what I would or wouldn't gain by springing for a decent integrated amp. Is this true?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Generally speaking I would agree. IMO the choice comes down to the specs between the two (power, etc) and that correlates to your speaker / room needs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Depends on the circuit in the particular unit, both are likely fine, but if worried about the circuit get an external phono pre-amp.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Depends on the circuit in the particular unit, both are likely fine, but if worried about the circuit get an external phono pre-amp.
if I read the Op correctly he is speaking of a TT with a built in phono-pre so neither an AVR or integrated 2 channel amp would require such.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
if I read the Op correctly he is speaking of a TT with a built in phono-pre so neither an AVR or integrated 2 channel amp would require such.
True, I glazed over that a bit but still, if worried about how the tt sounds, maybe trying an external phono stage, or one buiit into the avr/integrated amp, would show whether there's a significant difference with whichever kind of unit used. As to the avr vs integrated amp, hard to just generalize just with a type of gear. Then again if you need typical avr functionality (multich, dac, bass management), most 2ch integrated amps don't provide such a feature set.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I’m hearing from friends that the difference between running a turntable with a built in pre-amp through an AV receiver or a dedicated 2 channel integrated amp is minimal. I'm a noob with very little understanding of what I would or wouldn't gain by springing for a decent integrated amp. Is this true?
Is that "built in pre-amp" in your AV receiver, integrated stereo amp, or your turntable? Your original post has us confused.
  • If your turntable has a built-in pre-amp, it is probably can be switched On or Off.
  • If you do use the turntable's pre-amp, send the signal to your AVR by another input other than the one labeled Phono on the AVR. Use one pre-amp or the other, but not both.
  • If your AV receiver has a built-in phono pre-amp, you may use it, but also switch the turntable's pre-amp Off.
  • Don't spring for an integrated stereo amp because it might have a better built-in pre-amp. It is highly unlikely to be any different sounding. The same goes for an external phono pre-amp.
After reading your original post again, I realize you might be asking something different. In general, there is little if any difference in overall sound quality between an AVR or a stereo integrated amp. The only way a difference might be heard is if your speakers are unusually power hungry, the AVR is low powered, and the stereo integrated is high powered.

Please clarify your original question.

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I did it both ways, mostly because I was too stubborn to actually go and look at my old AVR.
I bought a new TT and knew ahead of time it required a phono stage/pre-amp to function.
I ASSUMED my existing AVR had what it took. I was wrong and I was very wrong because folks on the AH
told me to go look to be sure. I didn't.

I then bought an external phono stage/pre-amp from the TT manufacturer and it worked great.
Not too long after that I replaced the AVR with a new one that had the phono stage/pre-amp built in.

I can tell you from using both, there was negligible difference between the two devices.
I still have the external phono stage sitting on a shelf somewhere.
I am still stupid for not checking my old AVR in the first place.

H

Holmz

Enthusiast

I'm a noob with very little understanding of what I would or wouldn't gain by springing for a decent integrated amp. Is this true?
If one was running a high end cartridge, they would be better if with a separate phonostage running to the AVR for the same number of coins as an integrated.

For a modest TT, I would suggest just saving the coins as noting too major should change, unless the built in phono stage is poor and the partridge is stellar. Which I doubt is the case.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a fairly high end TT equipped with the equivalent in tonearm and cartridge connected directly to my AVR. It sounds very good and I am extremely happy with it.

V

vedabhyas

Audiophyte
I’m hearing from friends that the difference between running a turntable with a built in pre-amp through an AV receiver or a dedicated 2 channel integrated https://vlc.onl amp is minimal. I'm a noob with very little understanding of what I would or wouldn't gain by springing for a decent integrated amp. Is this true?
I got this,...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis