AV Rack Component Placement

T

trfcrugby

Enthusiast
I have been assembling my meager HT for the past month or so, and I am at a point where my equipment rack is full, and I am not sure if I have the gear placed correctly as not to have one component interfere with another.

My rack has four shelves, with enough room for roughly two compenents per shelf if needed. Can someone give me an idea of how I should place my components, top to bottom?

Components:
Receiver
DVD Recorder
Universal DVD Drive (5-disc)
HD Sat Receiver
Power Conditioner
VCR

I just picked up the power conditioner, and I am not sure where it should be in relation to the other gear, so that prompted this post. Right now, this is how the setup is, top to bottom:

Top Shelf:
HD Receiver
Power Conditioner
5-Disc DVD Player

Shelf 2:
Denon 2805

Shelf 3:
DVD Recorder
VCR

Bottom Shelf:
200 disc CD Changer

I am pretty certain the Power Conditioner should not be where it is, so any advice would be appreciated.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
It really depends on how your rack is cooled but generally I try to place the hottest components at the top of my rack or nearest the vent openings\fans.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
trfcrugby said:
I have been assembling my meager HT for the past month or so, and I am at a point where my equipment rack is full, and I am not sure if I have the gear placed correctly as not to have one component interfere with another.

My rack has four shelves, with enough room for roughly two compenents per shelf if needed. Can someone give me an idea of how I should place my components, top to bottom?

Components:
Receiver
DVD Recorder
Universal DVD Drive (5-disc)
HD Sat Receiver
Power Conditioner
VCR

I just picked up the power conditioner, and I am not sure where it should be in relation to the other gear, so that prompted this post. Right now, this is how the setup is, top to bottom:

Top Shelf:
HD Receiver
Power Conditioner
5-Disc DVD Player

Shelf 2:
Denon 2805

Shelf 3:
DVD Recorder
VCR

Bottom Shelf:
200 disc CD Changer

I am pretty certain the Power Conditioner should not be where it is, so any advice would be appreciated.

I would look at user friendly places. The power conditioner, if not turned on or off with each use, would go to the bottom. Receiver on the shelf with the most ventilation, the rest where you have to bend the least to use.:D

T

trfcrugby

Enthusiast
So I don't have to worry about EMI from the conditioner messing with the receiver, or anything like that? My plan is to put all of the DVD units at the top for easy loading, with the conditioner at the bottom and the receiver on it's own shelf to keep it cool.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
trfcrugby said:
So I don't have to worry about EMI from the conditioner messing with the receiver, or anything like that? My plan is to put all of the DVD units at the top for easy loading, with the conditioner at the bottom and the receiver on it's own shelf to keep it cool.
Yes, you don't need to worry with that on the bottom shelf:D
And your plan looks good from here:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis