W

WATCHIN

Audiophyte
I am running a little Paradigm PDR8 series 4 sub, it has an auto on feature, it is connected to a Denon AVR3808-ci, the speaker bypass in enabled so the reciver controls the range, ran the Auto Audyssey Setup and it souinds great but the sub does not always come on automaticaly, if I go and power it on/off manualy it keeps running. Is there anything I need to do so it comes on all the time?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Does it have a left and right input? Try using the other input or use a Y adapter to both inputs as it sounds like you have too low of an input voltage to keep it on. You can also just try raising the sub's level in the receiver and turn it down accordingly at the sub to get the proper leve.

W

WATCHIN

Audiophyte
I am using a Y connector already but your idea of raising the output on the reciver sounds worth a try, thanks.

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
This may not be your problem, but here is a funny story that everyone can laugh at me for :D.

I felt really stupid when I figured out why my AVR-686 would never properly turn on my PDR-10. I tried increasing the levels in my HTPC for the sub and tried messing with a bunch of different main menu setting options, to no avail.

The individual channel level volume was turned way down, and I never saw it in the menu (my AVR-686 doesn't have an OSD). I finally one day accidentally pressed the enter button on the remote and it brought up the channel select menu, which is independent of the setup menu, where I discovered my sub level was down to -26 dB. This was after 3 years of thinking my sub's auto-on just wasn't sensitive enough. Anyway, now it works like a charm and I don't have to have my sub gain up so high :rolleyes:.

My suggestion for your situation would be just as suggested above: to turn the output gain up in the receiver and compensate by turning the gain on the sub itself down, if necessary. You may want to re-run Audyssey afterward too.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
This may not be your problem, but here is a funny story that everyone can laugh at me for :D.

I felt really stupid when I figured out why my AVR-686 would never properly turn on my PDR-10. I tried increasing the levels in my HTPC for the sub and tried messing with a bunch of different main menu setting options, to no avail.

The individual channel level volume was turned way down, and I never saw it in the menu (my AVR-686 doesn't have an OSD). I finally one day accidentally pressed the enter button on the remote and it brought up the channel select menu, which is independent of the setup menu, where I discovered my sub level was down to -26 dB. This was after 3 years of thinking my sub's auto-on just wasn't sensitive enough. Anyway, now it works like a charm and I don't have to have my sub gain up so high :rolleyes:.

My suggestion for your situation would be just as suggested above: to turn the output gain up in the receiver and compensate by turning the gain on the sub itself down, if necessary. You may want to re-run Audyssey afterward too.
My sub didn't work for the longest time on my new receiver. I didn't notice(The my front sound stage can go very low.) Finally I thought maybe it was because I was using 2 cheap RCA cable extenders. But I then discovered on the back of my receiver that I had the sub plugged into the sub input on the 7.1 analog inputs. lol. I laughed so hard at myself I cried. Then I moved it to the Sub Pre-amp out and it worked.

I don't think it's a level issue. You may have your fronts set to large. I do this because I like the upper bass my speakers give in music. I suggest you set the fronts to small and that should help. Also some modes on my receiver don't send sound to the sub. The same may be true of yours.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis