Audyssey sub settings?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Just reran Audyssey through the app which I like a lot actually. Worth the 20 bucks. Anyway I never get the sub right, I just let Audyssey set it and then I raise way up because Audyssey sets it so low. I'm talking about in the receiver gain/level. I first get it in the bubble that Audyssey first asks for, it looks like a level. Then Audyssey does its thing, It always sets it at -12 which is the lowest setting. Why and how do I not have it set it at -12? From what i understand is you want Audyssey to set it at -9 or around there and then you adjust to your liking. I have the RSL 12S which is a beast of a sub if that helps. Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If your avr is setting the sub trim level at -12 that means you have the gain on your sub amp set too high, lower it and rerun it until it's at least -11. The avr at -12 simply can't turn it down enough.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
If your avr is setting the sub trim level at -12 that means you have the gain on your sub amp set too high, lower it and rerun it until it's at least -11. The avr at -12 simply can't turn it down enough.
Right, I agree. So when Audyssey does the "your sub is too high/low" level thing, just ignore it and lower the sub?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Right, I agree. So when Audyssey does the "your sub is too high/low" level thing, just ignore it and lower the sub?
Think it depends which model you have as to what you can do with that step (I have a few avrs with different implementations of that step). I'd simply get it set to at least -11 as far as avr trim level goes, but generally aim at the highest level the avr can cope with to get thru that step. Then many do like to raise level or use a custom curve in the app to raise up the low end as many don't like the flatter response Audyssey aims at. OTOH I haven't used the app to run initial setup, just to manipulate it....not sure but seems I've seen some difficulties in doing so with some models in the past..

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Think it depends which model you have as to what you can do with that step (I have a few avrs with different implementations of that step). I'd simply get it set to at least -11 as far as avr trim level goes, but generally aim at the highest level the avr can cope with to get thru that step. Then many do like to raise level or use a custom curve in the app to raise up the low end as many don't like the flatter response Audyssey aims at. OTOH I haven't used the app to run initial setup, just to manipulate it....not sure but seems I've seen some difficulties in doing so with some models in the past..
Thanks, I'll rerun it at some point soon when I have time and quiet house. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, I'll rerun it at some point soon when I have time and quiet house. :D
I've intended trying to use the app alone but haven't gotten around to it, as it just didn't seem necessary for me. Sometimes just another run of Audyyssey can be beneficial, tho....good luck!

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
My instructions on the Denon AVR is set the woofer gain/volume at 1/2. When all the speakers are calibrated, I find turning the woofer gain down to 9 o'clock, where the Bass is liveable.....for me. That is with my particular Klipsch Subwoofer. Whatever the calibrated settings turn out to be, I leave it at that. Movies sound great along with internet music, with the right amount of Bass. Not shaking the whole house. lol

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I would say so, based on my experience with both my Marantz AV8801 and Denon AVR-X4400H, but that's not the case with my AVR-X1800H so I guess it depends on the model. Regardless, afaic, D+M messed up the red/green (or what you might call high/low) thing. In many cases one has to ignore the red (too high) warning, and lower the sub level until the bar hit a little over the mid point, that is, into the red zone by about 1/4 way.

That should land you level trim set to about -3 to -7 after calibration, then if you want a tilted (up) bass in the deep bass range, you should adjust/customize the target curve, or if you wan to b e lazy, just adjust the sub level trim up by about 3 dB and call it a day. Customize the target curve is, obviously, a preferred way.

O

OCA

Enthusiast
Android version of MultEQ Editor app v1.11 has many bugs and can measure subwoofer +40dB too high (and automatically assigns -12dB limit) or can measure mic positions after the first one 6/12dB different. IOS app or Android v1.7 don't have these problems. There's also a fixed 1.11 version created by a user in AVS forum after his repeated attempts to get Sound United fix the bug failed:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis