Ty Wayne

Ty Wayne

Audioholic
I've been looking at getting either a Marantz or Denon AVR. Im completely unfamiliar with Audyssey. Tonight, in anticipation of getting a new AVR, I've been reading the manual for the AVR-X4100W. Here is the link to the manual:
http://www.accessories4less.com/mas_assets/theme/accessories4less/images/manuals/Denon/AVR-X4100W.pdf

From this site (audioholics) and these forums, I've learned that one should generally set there L,R to "small" rather than "large".

My question is if Audyssey will allow you to change your speaker settings (from large to small) without disabling MultEQ?

On page 208 of the manual, it says:
"If you change the speaker settings after performing Audyssey® Setup, you will no longer be able to select Audyssey MultEQ® XT32, Audyssey Dynamic EQ® or Audyssey Dynamic Volume®."

So what do you do if the Audyssey set-up sets your speakers to large, which Im sure will be the case?

Are you unable to make speaker setting changes like this once you've run the set-up?

Thanks in advance!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes you can make those changes after running setup. D&M manuals are not very well written.

Ty Wayne

Ty Wayne

Audioholic
Okay thanks a lot PENG. I figured for a higher end AVR with the best Audyssey, surely you'd be able to tweak things without disabling the calibration! I must say though, I'm feeling VERY intimidated after going through that manual. LOTS of settings and options that I don't know if I'm going to be able to figure out without some help from you guys. Hope yall continue to stay patient with me through all of this! :)

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
LOTS of settings and options that I don't know if I'm going to be able to figure out without some help from you guys.
Ty, here's what's gonna happen. You'll get the AVR, set it up, then come here with a bunch of questions about, "Which setting is better?".

You'll get a lot of answers. Some are clear cut, some are simply a matter of preference. You'll persist, trying to understand "Which is better?". As you learn more and get more comfortable that playing with different settings is not gonna fry your AVR, you'll slowly come to the realization that the real answer is, "Whatever sounds best to you". And it'll finally click that people told you that 100 times not as a cop-out but because it's the truth.

You're gonna have a ball!!! Enjoy the ride!

Ty Wayne

Ty Wayne

Audioholic
Ty, here's what's gonna happen. You'll get the AVR, set it up, then come here with a bunch of questions about, "Which setting is better?".

You'll get a lot of answers. Some are clear cut, some are simply a matter of preference. You'll persist, trying to understand "Which is better?". As you learn more and get more comfortable that playing with different settings is not gonna fry your AVR, you'll slowly come to the realization that the real answer is, "Whatever sounds best to you". And it'll finally click that people told you that 100 times not as a cop-out but because it's the truth.

You're gonna have a ball!!! Enjoy the ride!

Thanks Herbu. I mostly agree with you, especially with the "whatever sounds best to you part". I mean, I get that, and that's cool. But my concerns, at least when I was reading this manual last night, were more about how to get to certain settings, as well as what certain settings consist of. Not necessarily which settings are going to sound the best. My issues are more about HOW to tweak and change settings, not which settings will I want. Does that make sense?

But, its probably only natural that I felt overwhelmed because I was trying to read it without actually having a menu screen in front of me with the AVR and remote control in hand. And as PENG pointed out, the manual isn't that well written. On top of this, all I've ever had were a low end Kenwood and my current Pioneer. These were and are very basic AVR's with a very limited number of settings. I feel like I'm going from a bicycle to an F 16!

But you guys have been absolutely awesome. Everyone of you. I can rest in knowing that if I need help, I know I'll get it here!:D:D:D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The menus are your frenemy. You need them but navigating them can be, let's just say, "trying". Keep your owners manual handy.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
With Denon, there are owner's threads at AVSforum where you will likely get lots of help such as simplified instructions written by their members such as batpig. For Marantz, Outlaw Audio likely has some sort of simplified manuals too. Those may not be as complete as the original D&M manuals but they are typically easier to follow.

If you do end up using XT32/SubEQHT, I highly recommend you read through the FAQ section at the Audyssey website.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
On page 208 of the manual, it says:
"If you change the speaker settings after performing Audyssey® Setup, you will no longer be able to select Audyssey MultEQ® XT32, Audyssey Dynamic EQ® or Audyssey Dynamic Volume®."
I always manually change speaker settings AFTER Audyssey Auto setup, and I am able to use Audyssey & Audyssey Dynamic EQ without any issues.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I always manually change speaker settings AFTER Audyssey Auto setup, and I am able to use Audyssey & Audyssey Dynamic EQ without any issues.
Me too. The only thing I don't tweak is the Distance and Phase settings. Everything else is fair game, and doesn't defeat the other Audyssey parameters or settings. Still leaves you LOTS of stuff to play with.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Me too. The only thing I don't tweak is the Distance and Phase settings. Everything else is fair game, and doesn't defeat the other Audyssey parameters or settings. Still leaves you LOTS of stuff to play with.
Yep. Absolutely.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have to always change front speaker distance as I never seem to get the mic on dead center of main listening position and I haven't got any issues with that. I know the front speakers are equal distance away from my listening position and I set them on same distance by either of measurement that are couple cm away from each other. For other speakers I leave the measurements to be as they were as I believe they are accurate enough as I know my rears are within different distances anyway.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis