Audyssey in x4500h not working

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
deqonoff17hz.jpg
This what i got march 8th using 3 spots with audyssey
26theqnoaud.jpg26thsmoothed.jpgeq2bothportsopen.jpgeq2smoothedportsopen.jpg
This is what i got this morning with audyssey, these i think look a little better.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How can it be with Audyssey if you can't run it? You got it to run and used all mic positions? Or this is the last Audyssey run results measured perhaps a bit differently? Or did I miss something along the ways here ? :)

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
How can it be with Audyssey if you can't run it? You got it to run and used all mic positions? Or this is the last Audyssey run results measured perhaps a bit differently? Or did I miss something along the ways here ? :)
The 8th was right after I got the mini and a week before it stopped. I’ve reset in the menu too but if there’s another way in manual I’ll read tonight at work

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
The bottom 4 pics in the one post I meant to say without audyssey not with audyssey

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
IIRC TLS has experience with only XT and no app with frequency cutoff. Might be a slight difference in surround level, which can be adjusted a bit with trim level.
He also has well behaved speakers, might have a good room to begin with, and/or done room treatment. REQ is really a necessary evil, if there isn't acoustic issues to fix, then there is no need to use it. The only thing, its it should have made things worse for him, even XT could at least do no harm (no audible harm anyway), if done right.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
And what exactly would be the difference between using mini before audyssey as opposed to using it after audyssey? Isn’t audyssey cutting as much as it can to flatten things just like the mini? But the mini to me does better. You saw from March 8th of graph I posted that with deq on I got the exact same curve I created in the mini after just using first three positions. And now with the graphs I posted this morning without using audyssey at all and no deq that basically I’m getting the same response although this morning’s ones are a little better. So to me either way you use mini whether before or after audyssey you’re getting the same response as to what that person has eq’d, I know my graphs show that. I don’t think it’s wrong either way it’s used but I’m no expert and just my opinion
As HD said......I was referring to time alignment only, not the EQ part, mainly because you have 3 subs. Once you got that part done you probably is better off telling your AVR/Audyssey you have just one sub, and using only one sub out accordingly.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I know a lot of people on here don’t like YouTubers and I’m the same way but I watched two different people that explain in depth how to use the mini and both had avrs with audyssey. What they explained was to use mini first then audyssey but only first three positions so it wouldn’t screw up any of the eq you did for the subs in the mini or the sub had to be disabled somehow so audyssey wouldn’t mess things up running more than 3 spots. I run all 8 when not using mini but I haven’t tried using mini then running all 8. I’ll try once I get my avr fixed
I have seen quite a few Youtuber's presentations, obviously you can always find those who knew what they were talking about, sadly, many (seems a larger proportion) didn't. Yet I have no doubt to most people who watched them would have been convinced that they did know what they talked about.

I have tried using the mini in as many combinations as I could think about, and in my experience, for EQ, it made little difference whether I did it before or after, or not using it at all. I only have two subs that need time alignment though. For EQ, in theory at least Audyssey would be better because it uses FIR filters, and XT32 obviously have higher resolutions where as the mini, used with REW is limited, and the filters are basically PEQs, just like YPAO's. For time aligning multiple subs (more than 2), people find it a must, but since I don't need that feature so I have no experience with that. You results obviously indicate it is doing a good job for you.

All these are academic and fun to do, as you said early, audibly speaking you don't need a visually stunning flat curve to sound better. As you know I have the bragging for having some FR curves 20 to 200 Hz within +/- 1.5 dB or +/- less than 1 dB for 18 to about 125 Hz after hours of tweaking with the App, compared to the virgin unmolested curve post audyssey's +/- 5 dB, I cannot honesty say one sounded better than the other and for sure cannot tell a difference if subjected to a DBT.:D

By the way, expert or not, you obviously done some extensive research in all these, and now have some great curves to show, so I hope in future, you will post to help answer questions related to XT32 SubEQ HT and minidsp questions.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I have seen quite a few Youtuber's presentations, obviously you can always find those who knew what they were talking about, sadly, many (seems a larger proportion) didn't. Yet I have no doubt to most people who watched them would have been convinced that they did know what they talked about.

I have tried using the mini in as many combinations as I could think about, and in my experience, for EQ, it made little difference whether I did it before or after, or not using it at all. I only have two subs that need time alignment though. For EQ, in theory at least Audyssey would be better because it uses FIR filters, and XT32 obviously have higher resolutions where as the mini, used with REW is limited, and the filters are basically PEQs, just like YPAO's. For time aligning multiple subs (more than 2), people find it a must, but since I don't need that feature so I have no experience with that. You results obviously indicate it is doing a good job for you.

All these are academic and fun to do, as you said early, audibly speaking you don't need a visually stunning flat curve to sound better. As you know I have the bragging for having some FR curves 20 to 200 Hz within +/- 1.5 dB or +/- less than 1 dB for 18 to about 125 Hz after hours of tweaking with the App, compared to the virgin unmolested curve post audyssey's +/- 5 dB, I cannot honesty say one sounded better than the other and for sure cannot tell a difference if subjected to a DBT.:D

By the way, expert or not, you obviously done some extensive research in all these, and now have some great curves to show, so I hope in future, you will post to help answer questions related to XT32 SubEQ HT and minidsp questions.
Well I appreciate that but I just do research and just play n play until I can figure things out. Matter of fact I did a hard reset on my avr again yesterday morning just to see if anything changed with audyssey and it didn’t which I figured. But I play so dam much that the measurements I posted Saturday morning I now can’t remember wth I did to get them and forgot to save it in the mini, I can never just leave things alone. Shouldn’t of tried the hard reset yesterday morning and just left things how I had it. I know I set the avr up manually because I can’t use audyssey obviously but I don’t remember exactly where I had things set in avr when I began to use the mini, it’s ridiculous on my part.
I work nights and my kids are busy with softball and baseball so my wife n I are busy as hell and that’s why I’m not always posting. I do get on to see what people are talking about and I read quite a few threads to see what’s going on

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I appreciate that but I just do research and just play n play until I can figure things out. Matter of fact I did a hard reset on my avr again yesterday morning just to see if anything changed with audyssey and it didn’t which I figured. But I play so dam much that the measurements I posted Saturday morning I now can’t remember wth I did to get them and forgot to save it in the mini, I can never just leave things alone. Shouldn’t of tried the hard reset yesterday morning and just left things how I had it. I know I set the avr up manually because I can’t use audyssey obviously but I don’t remember exactly where I had things set in avr when I began to use the mini, it’s ridiculous on my part.
I work nights and my kids are busy with softball and baseball so my wife n I are busy as hell and that’s why I’m not always posting. I do get on to see what people are talking about and I read quite a few threads to see what’s going on
You are probably audioholic:D. I hope you can find time to do it again, and this time keep a notebook to document everything, it is a very nice curve to get if you did it manually with the mini alone.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
april1steqdeqoff.jpgapril1steqsmoothed.jpgapril1steqportsopen.jpgapril1steq2smoothed.jpg
Ok so I have been playing all week since I posted the pics this past Saturday because I could not remember what i did because i have playing so much with measuring. These are pretty dam close to what I had and I figured out what I did. So, I know I said the pics from Saturday are without audyssey, wrong. I actually remembered I loaded my last curve from the app in the avr before audyssey was not working. Saturday's pics and today's pics are with audyssey on but no deq, I like it better without deq. The higher frequencies seem tamed down without having deq on. Audyssey did in fact straighten out my response from 80-100hz. Maybe somebody here has but I could not get a response like these pics without having audyssey engaged just using the mini, believe me I tried all week. I kept having trouble with a peak at 90-100hz. I tried messing with distance, crossovers and nothing worked until I engaged audyssey and the peak went away. I liked to say I was wrong saying I got this past Saturday's pics without audyssey, took me all dam week to figure it out. But I do prefer not having deq on, the higher frequencies do not seem so harsh. So, I'll be putting my gear away and not messing with anything, just enjoying it until I decide if I am going to send my avr in for repair. The variations between last Saturday and today in measurements is mic placement I believe, I had moved it last Saturday so I could listen to things but they are pretty close. Thx to everyone who has commented and offered advice, appreciate it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis