M

MLadia

Audioholic Intern
Can somebody take a look and tell me if it tells me something I can improve through Audyssey? I have a Denon s740h connected to Andrew Jones SP-PK52FS with Pioneer Atmos add-ons. The rig is mostly for home theater. Any input appreciated.

Attachments

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Can somebody take a look and tell me if it tells me something I can improve through Audyssey? I have a Denon s740h connected to Andrew Jones SP-PK52FS with Pioneer Atmos add-ons. The rig is mostly for home theater. Any input appreciated.
Those are the Audyssey curves. that's what the correction is attempting to make your curves look like. It would be more helpful to see what the Audyssey actually detected from the speakers in your room.

M

MLadia

Audioholic Intern
Oh ok. Should I edit the curve a certain way? Flatten them maybe? Thank you for your prompt response.

So I should post the Room correction results then?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
First, consider doing nothing to it for now. listen with Aud on and off. See which you prefer. Many, including myself, find it hurts SQ more than helps. I used Aud to set my levels and distances, experimented with it, and now have it off.

Though not the best tool for the job, seeing what was detected in the Aud. tests may give other people something to advise you on. ;) No promises.

M

MLadia

Audioholic Intern
Would these help? Thank you so much for your patience and time.

Attachments

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
First, consider doing nothing to it for now. listen with Aud on and off. See which you prefer. Many, including myself, find it hurts SQ more than helps. I used Aud to set my levels and distances, experimented with it, and now have it off.

Though not the best tool for the job, seeing what was detected in the Aud. tests may give other people something to advise you on. ;) No promises.
And unfortunately, if you look at the graphs and count the lines, they do not correspond to indicated frequencies. So you cannot even know where to begin.

@Old Onkyo (I think) asked where these measurements were taken? Additionally, a draw up of the room with dimensions of any parallel boundary not located behind a closed door would be needed to even try to make sense of those graphs.

@MLadia what and how many subwoofers are they being used, as well as their locations within the room, relative to the listening position(s) would need to be known too, please. If the graphs you posted are in any way useful - they tell me you are not using a subwoofer?

M

MLadia

Audioholic Intern
And unfortunately, if you look at the graphs and count the lines, they do not correspond to indicated frequencies. So you cannot even know where to begin.

@Old Onkyo (I think) asked where these measurements were taken? Additionally, a draw up of the room with dimensions of any parallel boundary not located behind a closed door would be needed to even try to make sense of those graphs.

@MLadia what and how many subwoofers are they being used, as well as their locations within the room, relative to the listening position(s) would need to be known too, please. If the graphs you posted are in any way useful - they tell me you are not using a subwoofer?
2 Dayton 1200s

M

MLadia

Audioholic Intern

The room is less than ideal. Rectangular but only using half of it. With LCR on the longer wall. HTH

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The room is less than ideal. Rectangular but only using half of it. With LCR on the longer wall. HTH
Don't sell yourself short! There is no such thing as an 'ideal' room.

In any room, no matter how many rooms it is open too, it is completely possible to satisfy every listener with enough appropriately placed subwoofers.

You are on the right track with the Dayton's. Ignore the marketing and the desire to get these huge drivers with huge power handling. No single 'super' subwoofer can bypass the physics of reproducing large wavelengths in small rooms (small being relative to bass wavelengths) and the seat to seat variations the parallel walls create.

If you do not desire to learn to take acoustic measurements and the very deep rabbit hole that can lead - I honestly would just recommend continuing to add Dayton 1200's (level matching every time with a SPL meter/app) until you feel you have achieved the desired amount of bass.

You may also want to ensure your LFE crossover is adequately chosen (how low can your other speakers go? how big is the room?), and implemented between your Receiver/Preamp and the subs themselves. (if using receiver/preamp to select LFE crossover, ensure each subwoofer's crossover is turned off, or turned as high as it can go.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Normally, I keep quiet about "to Audyssey or not" discussions because that is a personal decision based on your personal experience.
However, given that these Pioneer speakers are not great speakers (they are probably the best for their price, but there are compromises due to the budget).
Also these are the one speaker where I am convinced I experienced a definite improvement in the upper frequencies (as well as bass)when I applied Audyssey.
This is a subjective opinion, and I would certainly recommend buying better speakers if you can afford it, but I do believe Audyssey can improve the performance of inexpensive speakers! It is not what it was intended for, but if it works, why not use it!

M

MLadia

Audioholic Intern
If you do not desire to learn to take acoustic measurements and the very deep rabbit hole that can lead - I honestly would just recommend continuing to add Dayton 1200's (level matching every time with a SPL meter/app) until you feel you have achieved the desired amount of bass.

You may also want to ensure your LFE crossover is adequately chosen (how low can your other speakers go? how big is the room?), and implemented between your Receiver/Preamp and the subs themselves. (if using receiver/preamp to select LFE crossover, ensure each subwoofer's crossover is turned off, or turned as high as it can go.
I do have an SPL meter. I would like to keep working with Audyssey. After I run Audyssey, I was going to put the SPL on a tripod on the same exact spot that I put the Audyssey mic and "correct" volume reading right?

Crossover is turned as high. Adjusted crossovers of the other speakers up. Anything else? Thank you for the responses btw.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I do have an SPL meter. I would like to keep working with Audyssey. After I run Audyssey, I was going to put the SPL on a tripod on the same exact spot that I put the Audyssey mic and "correct" volume reading right?

Crossover is turned as high. Adjusted crossovers of the other speakers up. Anything else? Thank you for the responses btw.
Sorry if it wasn't clear, but I meant for you to ensure that your LFE crossover was optimally chosen for your room and equipment.

In order for your receiver/preamp to properly control the LFE channel, you have to defeat the crossovers that are built in to each subwoofer's plate amp. It sounds like you've done that, so now you can try to identify an ideal crossover for your room and equipment. Start at 80 hz which works in most rooms. If your room is larger, and your speakers can play lower, you can try a lower LFE crossover - conversely a smaller room or smaller speakers may need a higher LFE crossover. (this is not a law, but should work in most cases)

The mic in either case should be as close to where any set of ears will be located.

Distance to each speaker relative to each seat means you won't always be able to get a match across all seats, but if you go back and forth and average them out; example:

Left Front Speaker - left seat of couch: matched at 80dB, right seat of couch: -2 dB
Right Front Speaker - left seat of couch: -2dB, right seat of couch matched at 80 dB

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis