Audyssey crossover settings?

N

notsopro

Audiophyte
hey guys couple months ago i was looking to upgrade my htib with a onkyo unit but decided i would try build a setup on my own i read about the infinty primus stuff from here and went with that. I did a 7.1 setup using

2x p362 floorstanind
1x pc350 center
4x p162
subwoofer it was a cheap psw10 for now.

the problem is i have a denon2112ci reciever and when i run audessey the crossover comes back with everything being at 60 and the front speakers full band. would my center speaker get damaged if it set at 60 but spec says 80 to 20,000..?

Last edited by a moderator:
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
No, it won't be damaged. On the low end, room dynamics tend to boost bass response which is why you probably see those numbers.

Pesronally I would leave the fronts as full band but bump the surrounds and center to 80 Hz.

N

notsopro

Audiophyte
Ah im relieved nothing would be damaged hehe. I will certainly take your advise and try those crossovers. Thank you!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I agree with jonnythan that it won't hurt anything, however I disagree about he wants to put the settings on. Just to preface this, I'm only offering an alternate solution based on my own personal preferences and advice I've been given. You should try both and see which you like better.

I would actually bump the center to 80, put the floor standers on 40 or 60 and then use 80 again on the P162s.

This keeps all the speakers operating well within their operating ranges (leaving plenty of cushion). I've been told you really want to cross about an octave above what the low end of their measures are. The measures I'm recommending aren't an octave, but are about halfway there which should be fine with room gain.

The issue with what I'm suggesting is that you may lose a little mid bass detail and punch since you only have one sub and it isn't great. If you find that happening switching the fronts back to full band would probably solve that.

Again it's all preference between my suggestion and jonny's, give 'em a try and see what happens :)

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I suggested leaving the fronts on full-range because, in room, they will have useful response down to 30 Hz or so. The sub is pretty puny and could really use any help it can get in the 30-60 Hz range.

We did agree about putting the center and surrounds at 80 though.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Very true, on both points. I need to upgrade my sub as well, and in theory my front current front two speakers can play down to roughly 40 hz, but I still like to cross them over. The sound is better in the mids when I do this and since so much detail is in the mids on most things I can live without a little extra bass, especially since my room isn't huge.

OP didn't mention how big his room is so I threw out this idea just for something else to fiddle with since he's already going to be trying some adjustments anyways. cheers.

N

notsopro

Audiophyte
Thanks guys i did change my settings to how johhny posted i bumped up the center and surrounds up to 80 with default floor standing.

I then tried fuzz which seemed similar everything set at 80 except change the floor to 40 then tried it at 60. it sounded the same i didn't notice much.

I then found a article somewhere that audyssey doesn't set the crossover its the receiver. They also set all speakers small even if they are large >< so I changed my floor standing speakers to small set everything to 80. I definitely could tell their was more bass. I'll prob try messing with the front speakers set to small and changing the crossover to 40 to 60 in a couple hours let ya know how that works out thanks again.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well don't I feel silly. Yes you probably wouldn't hear a difference between our crossover settings since they are small changes. You would only start to hear a difference if you cranked it, and then only if the speakers were bottoming out or sounding a little distorted because they were trying to reach too low.

I can't believe I forgot to tell you to switch the speakers to small. See, you didn't even need advice after all :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks guys i did change my settings to how johhny posted i bumped up the center and surrounds up to 80 with default floor standing.

I then tried fuzz which seemed similar everything set at 80 except change the floor to 40 then tried it at 60. it sounded the same i didn't notice much.

I then found a article somewhere that audyssey doesn't set the crossover its the receiver. They also set all speakers small even if they are large >< so I changed my floor standing speakers to small set everything to 80. I definitely could tell their was more bass. I'll prob try messing with the front speakers set to small and changing the crossover to 40 to 60 in a couple hours let ya know how that works out thanks again.
You can play with 40 to 60 but in the end 80 will be best for the 362. It is important to run Audyssey properly too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis