AudioSource AMP One: A Low Priced Component Amplifier Suggestion

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
It has been brought to my attention that the AudioSource AMP One is a good measuring amplifier that has rock solid performance into loads even lower then 4 ohms. This is an excellent device for those that may have receivers with 'challenged' output stages that are driving difficult loads.

The AMP One is [1]verified by Chasw98 on the AVS forum as having the following abilities(values rounded to the nearest single digit).....

8 Ohms, both channels driven: 80 Watts, 0.3% THD

4 Ohms, both channels driven: 103 Watts, 0.6% THD

SNR: 96dB

Notes: The power output ratings given above are 20Hz-*20000Hz. The output into 20kHz does decrease by about 20 percent at *8 ohm loads, and increases by about 20 percent in output at 20kHz into 4 ohm loads.

You can purchase this amplifier for under $140 from www.buy.com and other sources and $160 from www.bhphotovideo.com. At this price range, I believe this is a great deal, considering that's it's a rock solid unit for driving difficult loads(which can't be said for many low cost receivers). It is also a potential bargain if one wants to use it to drive some bookshelf speakers from a source such as a computer. Just connect your soundcard's line output into the AudioSource's input jacks, adjust the gain, and it's a done deal.

-Chris

Footnotes
[1] http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14135949#post14135949

Last edited:
G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
It has been brought to my attention that the AudioSource AMP One is a good measuring amplifier that has rock solid performance into loads even lower then 4 ohms. This is an excellent device for those that may have receivers with 'challenged' output stages that are driving difficult loads.

The AMP One is [1]verified by Chasw98 on the AVS forum as having the following abilities(values rounded to the nearest single digit).....

8 Ohms, both channels driven: 80 Watts, 0.3% THD

4 Ohms, both channels driven: 103 Watts, 0.6% THD

SNR: 96dB

Notes: The power output ratings given above are 20Hz-*20000Hz. The output into 20kHz does decrease by about 20 percent at *8 ohm loads, and increases by about 20 percent in output at 20kHz into 4 ohm loads.

You can purchase this amplifier for under $140 from www.buy.com and other sources and $160 from www.bhphotovideo.com. At this price range, I believe this is a great deal, considering that's it's a rock solid unit for driving difficult loads(which can't be said for many low cost receivers). It is also a potential bargain if one wants to use it to drive some bookshelf speakers from a source such as a computer. Just connect your soundcard's line output into the AudioSource's input jacks, adjust the gain, and it's a done deal.

-Chris

Footnotes
[1] http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14135949#post14135949
Didn't Carver have anything to do with the design of the audiosource amps? I know a lot of guys at Audiokarma recommend most of the audiosource amps because of their performance and price and the affiliation with Carver.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Didn't Carver have anything to do with the design of the audiosource amps? I know a lot of guys at Audiokarma recommend most of the audiosource amps because of their performance and price and the affiliation with Carver.
I have no knowledge of the source or affiliation of AudioSource products to other companies.

-Chris

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
I've been curious about these amps as they seem like a great 'affordable' way to add amps. I've been thinking 3 channels might be the way to go for me to keep it practical and less expensive. I was thinking 3 Audiosource amps bridged would work. If anyone else has any feedback or experience with them, please do share.

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
It's actually the Audiosource Amp One/A, the Amp One is the older model with a meter on the front.

I sent my unit to Chuck Witt to see whether I should think about upgrading amps anytime soon. I'll probably keep them until I desire something more than 200W per channel, since I run them bridged to 8 ohm speakers.

One of mine has been stable running 4-ohm bridged (2 per side) as well, but I don't use it at very high power levels. I certainly haven't blown any fuses like Chuck managed to do :D

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I've heard that the signal-sensing auto-on feature is a bit buggy on AudioSource amps. Did you find that to be the case?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Budget amp

The Behringer A500 pro-amps are in the same price range ($180 shipped) The do about 200 watts into 4 ohms and 500 watts into 8 ohms bridged. This is probably a better power upgrade from most receiver.

If you are planning on buying multiple Behringer or Audiosource amps, you quickly approach the price price of one of the Emotiva home theater amps with 5-7 channels. The form factor and triggered on feature of my Emotiva are convenient vs. using 4 of the pro amps.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I had a One/A also - it was a fine amp. The Amp 300 was on sale this weekend at Frys for $150.

maximoiglesias

maximoiglesias

Audioholic
I've been curious about these amps as they seem like a great 'affordable' way to add amps. I've been thinking 3 channels might be the way to go for me to keep it practical and less expensive. I was thinking 3 Audiosource amps bridged would work. If anyone else has any feedback or experience with them, please do share.
Can you add one or two of these amps to a normal a/v reciever?? if so, How??

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
I've heard that the signal-sensing auto-on feature is a bit buggy on AudioSource amps. Did you find that to be the case?
I can only vouch for the Amp 100, but auto-on worked fine for me.

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
The Amp200 and Amp300 can be used with any receiver since they have speaker-level inputs, but it wouldn't be great for sound quality. Much better to use a preamp output.

audioman00

Audioholic
That AmpOne/A is a very nice sounding piece and loves low impedance loads. The amplifier output stage uses a dual-mono block configuration with toshiba output transistors and a toroidal power supply. If I remember the caps were kinda small in it because of the low profile design. But overall, I loved it connected to my Nakamichi CA7 pre-amp. Together they had a very precise and clear soundstage and powerfull, tight lows. IF you have a few more bucks, there are some nice rotels and emotiva's that can be had for a bit more.. :cool: BTW... Audiosource is Phoenix Gold's home audio line, and always a good choice for beginner separates.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
jvgillow said:
Yeah it only has 10,000 uF of capacitance per channel.
More pics are needed.:D Not only is the cap rating low, but it's also only 50 volt. I could be incorrect about this but from what I understand about class AB amplifiers (which I believe is the topology of the amplifier in question) is if the amp has one transformer it has one power supply. The power supply consists of primarily a transformer and capacitors (as well as resistors, fuses, relays and such). No particular "channel" gets a cap or it's own capacitor bank. One cap gets used for pushing, and another for pulling current. Again, I could be wrong (it happens often:D).

maximoiglesias said:
Can you add one or two of these amps to a normal a/v reciever?? if so, How??
Your receiver would not support this. Something like the Yamaha RX-V661 or RX-V663 would be great. If you are on a tight budget you might try and find an older Pioneer VSX-816 which was very well received for it's features in it's price bracket (basically the cheapest receiver to have preouts). Unfortunately Pioneer's more current 800 series AVR's lack preouts and that is reserved for the 1000 series only.:(

Last edited:
A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
If you are planning on buying multiple Behringer or Audiosource amps, you quickly approach the price price of one of the Emotiva home theater amps with 5-7 channels. The form factor and triggered on feature of my Emotiva are convenient vs. using 4 of the pro amps.
Unfortunately for me, anyway, the Emotiva's are either too tall or too deep for the spaces I have available, otherwise the XPA-3 would be perfect for me.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I bought an Audio Source amp about 10 years ago. I don't remember which model. I used it for while to power the small system I had at the lake before the big remodel.

I thought it was dreadful piece of junk. The auto on quit almost immediately. I got rid of it pretty quickly and bought a Quad 303 on eBay. That amp is still going strong along with the first 303 I bought in 1970. The switch to the Quad 303 was a blessed relief.

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
I think there mightbe a connection to the newer Audiosource gear .
Phoenix Gold bought out Carver Car Audio after Carver went down ( i know forsure ) . The Amps in the Carver Car Audio , work with the Tech as Carver home amps ( Class H ) . I do remember Phoenix Gold buying some other Carver factions of the old Carver Company .
Im not sure how much Tech went into these new audiosource amps . I do remeber the Carver forum talking abit about these amps and comparing them to TFM series . If there anything like the TFM series by Carver , there a powerful and run cool amps .

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis