Audioquest’s DragonFly USB DAC v1.2 Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Audioquest’s relatively new device– the DragonFly USB DAC v1.2 offers a great portable way to improve your current computer and smartphone set up. With a flair in creating affordable mid-fi products, Audioquest have not failed to satisfy the market with an outstanding hi-fi sound. The USB DAC draws on the power of the USB port of your computer and overrides the internal DAC to offer its own resolving and detailed sound character. Can you really get audiophile sound from a device that can fit in your pocket?

Read: Audioquest’s DragonFly USB DAC v1.2 Review

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Were you able to level match the output of the Dragonfly with the output of the native sound?

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
In my system I find this DAC to be quite smooth and easy to listen to for long periods of time. I have used it with all kinds of amps and speakers and never thought it was harsh. Even the sibilance it does produce is natural sounding and never grating or annoying.

I

IEMPatel

Audioholics Inner Ear Monitor
In my system I find this DAC to be quite smooth and easy to listen to for long periods of time. I have used it with all kinds of amps and speakers and never thought it was harsh. Even the sibilance it does produce is natural sounding and never grating or annoying.
Anamorphic, on the whole I found the DAC to be smooth for most IEMs and headphones. However, since the DragonFly's signature is one of dynamic contrast and vividness, with very detailed IEMs such as the Rock-it Sounds R50 it did tend to verge on harshness.

On the whole though, I'm very impressed at the detail it is able to extract from tracks. A true hi-fi set-up.

Thomoz

Thomoz

Enthusiast
When I play tested the dragonfly with a Windows 7 pc and internal cd drive I was surprised to discover that early CDs done with the Sony 1610 sound rougher to me than CDs mastered later with extra EQ and noise reduction. (The Ryko and RCA cds of Bowie titles come immediately to mind). The same discs played on a standard cd or SACD player I usually prefer the earlier discs!

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
FYI, there are two new Dragonflies, the 1.5 is a reduced power draw replacement for the 1.2 that can reportedly be powered by the microUSB port on your smartphone. The Dragonfly Red is their new "audiophile" grade product.

http://www.audioquest.com/dragonfly-series/

Player1

Player1

Enthusiast
Yes these are the best amps. although there are few more alternatives which can fit in our pocket. some of them are Brainwavz AP001, Creative Sound Blaster E3, Poweradd 4.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
FYI, there are two new Dragonflies, the 1.5 is a reduced power draw replacement for the 1.2 that can reportedly be powered by the microUSB port on your smartphone. The Dragonfly Red is their new "audiophile" grade product.

http://www.audioquest.com/dragonfly-series/
Have you used the DragonFly Red? Is it a noticeable improvement over just connection earbuds to the headphone jack on an iPhone 6s?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Have you used the DragonFly Red? Is it a noticeable improvement over just connection earbuds to the headphone jack on an iPhone 6s?
I have the 1.2 for my laptop and have not upgraded. The reviews of the Red are good but when I buy my next DAC/Amp it's be to drive harder to drive headphone. I'm afraid I don't have an iPhone either. I have my V-Moda Crossfade II Bluetooth headphones for use with my phone.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis