Audiophilic Discrimination?

T

Thomo16

Audiophyte
Hi guys, I'm new-ish here.

Do you guys think there is some form of discrimination against younger audiophiles? Recently, I've been trying to sell my sub and speakers. I have received some emails of interest, however, ONCE I tell them I'm a college student their replies completely stop. This has not happened on just one occasion too. I can recall at least 4 or 5 occasions. I understand that "kids" are more likely to play music and movies at higher volumes, especially college "kids" who are stereotypically known to party all day and night, but enough to completely lose interest seems ridiculous. I take great care of my audio system. I don't even let people touch my gear. I'm especially anal about my speaker position as anyone who knows me would know. >=D

I am reminded of one specific occasion at Ken Cranes. I went there to audition some B&W speakers (only place I know around). The only thing I got there were the glaring looks with eyes that blatantly say "don't touch anything." So, I just left. It's true younger "kids" don't have much money, but glaring at someone like that is just rude. Maybe I just had bad luck with my experiences. I'm sure there are great people out there who are more than willing to accommodate younger audiophiles.
I guess I'm just here to blow off some steam. :mad: But, I'm sure we can all agree some of these things are true.
I just want to sell my speakers and subwoofer. Are my goods inferior in someway?
Need money for school :(. If only it weren't for school, then there's nothing stopping me from upgrading my system instead :D

Incase anyone is wondering. My system consists of:
Jm Labs Cobalt 806S Bookshelf Speakers
Powered by Panasonic XR-57S receiver
and the power comes from my Hsu VTF-3 MK2 Subwoofer

ps. ignore anything that makes no sense, I'm just a bit mad. :p

J

jamie2112

Banned
I agree that younger "audiophiles" don't get any respect. I have seen the same thing you are talking about in a myer emco in Dc. That is stupidly bias, what just because you are young doesn't mean you don't love audio. Screw those kind of people. Your money is as good as anyone else's. I would sell your stuff on here or audiogon. I guess you shouldn't tell people who are interested you in school still:D:D:D

R

rtcp

Junior Audioholic
I've encountered the same thing. (I'm 19)

I was at a hifi shop once, and I asked if I could listen to their nicest system(B&W 802Ds with Classe gear, not really that amazing as far as audiophile gear goes), and they wouldn't let me touch the volume knob. And that was after I spent $1000 there.

But I suppose if the typical audiophile salesman is someone who will legitimately try to sell you snake oil products, they're probably the sort that would stereotype young people.

It is frustrating though, especially since we have none of the money but all of the ears.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I'm 20. I've found the best way to counteract this is to be the bigger *******.

SheepStar

T

Thomo16

Audiophyte
haha sheep, I'll keep that in mind, although I'm not that type. ;)

Yeah. It's so frustrating sometimes. Well, I'm out of the hi-fi game for awhile. School is eating away at all of my money. To think of the gear you could buy with the amount of money one year of school costs.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah. It's so frustrating sometimes. Well, I'm out of the hi-fi game for awhile. School is eating away at all of my money. To think of the gear you could buy with the amount of money one year of school costs.
think of the money you'd earn with just a college degree ... to buy all the gear you want :D

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
think of the money you'd earn with just a college degree ... to buy all the gear you want :D
That's what I'd say too.

While there is no excuse for looking down on people because of their age or appearance, it does happen. I'm not a teen anymore by a long shot but I'm sure I'd get the same treatment at your more snooty establishments..but I'd just laugh. If you think you can guess my net worth by the fact that I'm basically a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy and still driving my almost 15 year old car I bought in 1994...you'd be wrong - way wrong.

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
LOL

There's something I like to do when I see the salesman is "suspicious". I just throw him some specs on the gear I'm looking and even some comparisons with other equipment. That seems to make him look elsewhere, or, if he is really into audio, make him more interested in showing stuff.
You can also throw him lot of questions, just to tire him.
Another option is: get a suit :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Any high fidelity shop and it's sales crew should know that a large part of customers that want to buy audio don't drive fancy cars, wear expensive clothes, and are typically younger. For these boutique stores to think you won't buy there stuff because you are young and don't wear what they expect an "audiophile" to wear are going to lose a lot of business. Every person that walks through the door in these shops is a potential sale, you would be a fool of a salesman to think otherwise.

I always like to share my knowledge when I enter shops of this magnitude. One thing that attracts their attention is to discuss specific products that are competitive with the store's products. They are more apt to attempt to sell you something if you mention their competition, who wants to lose a sale to Magnolia Hi-Fi (Best Buy's high end shops)?:D

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
I experienced this too at a couple of shops-most places in STL seem to carry B&W and are sold by either older gentlemen or "preppy" (for lack of a better word) 30-40 somethings. Most of them didn't want to give me the time of day. I finally found a shop that would and invited me to listen to everything, demo their custom rooms, etc. Guess who I bought from :). I'm in my mid 20's and I think this has a lot to do with that kind of treatment. And several of these places did lose potential sales-not that they even know it :)

Shop around-not just for speakers, but for service as well. Service means a lot.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
I would give you respect ..

Thomo16 sorry you are getting that response. I respect muscians and audiophiles and really too me, age is insiginificant. On this forum some of the younger members are very, very astute as far as audio equipment and I tend to listen to their experience, views and opinions with a lot of respect!

And by the way I am an old f*rt.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I didn't do much "higher end" shopping until I was 22 or so, but I never had issues with our local audio specialst stores. They were helpful, enjoyed chatting and showing off gear. One did try to pitch $6k cables our way which was pretty ludicrous especially considering I was and am a student. I imagine if some see a very young looking person they might think you're just there to see the shiny toys and some stores might not mind, others may.

Definitely unfortunate, I know someone who went to a Mercedes dealership in his weekend jeans and white t-shirt and they wouldn't give him the time of day. So he bought his fancy expensive car somewhere else.

E

EYEdROP0

Audioholic
I know exactly what you mean. Im only 17 years old, and I get looks from older guys all the time whenever I look at their sound system. Some of them arent even true audiophiles but make it seem like they are. Then again, I can relate to these older folks. I have an 18 year old friend that is "into" audio, yet doesent run his speakers on the correct ohms, let alone place them correctly. He plays his JBL's loud, and they are blown. But he doesent want to belive it :eek: Also, many of the car audio "enthusiasts" I meet have a sony xplod with a 1200 watt amp and stock 6x9, door speakers, etc.... THey think their system is better than mine. Dumbasses....

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Hi guys, I'm new-ish here.

Do you guys think there is some form of discrimination against younger audiophiles? Recently, I've been trying to sell my sub and speakers. I have received some emails of interest, however, ONCE I tell them I'm a college student their replies completely stop. This has not happened on just one occasion too. I can recall at least 4 or 5 occasions. I understand that "kids" are more likely to play music and movies at higher volumes, especially college "kids" who are stereotypically known to party all day and night, but enough to completely lose interest seems ridiculous. I take great care of my audio system. I don't even let people touch my gear. I'm especially anal about my speaker position as anyone who knows me would know. >=D

I am reminded of one specific occasion at Ken Cranes. I went there to audition some B&W speakers (only place I know around). The only thing I got there were the glaring looks with eyes that blatantly say "don't touch anything." So, I just left. It's true younger "kids" don't have much money, but glaring at someone like that is just rude. Maybe I just had bad luck with my experiences. I'm sure there are great people out there who are more than willing to accommodate younger audiophiles.
I guess I'm just here to blow off some steam. :mad: But, I'm sure we can all agree some of these things are true.
I just want to sell my speakers and subwoofer. Are my goods inferior in someway?
Need money for school :(. If only it weren't for school, then there's nothing stopping me from upgrading my system instead :D

Incase anyone is wondering. My system consists of:
Jm Labs Cobalt 806S Bookshelf Speakers