"Audiophile" descriptors, buzzwords and their place in the review world.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Joe from the YouTube channel Joe N Tell messaged me Saturday and asked if I would be interested in doing a fun video where we discuss the typical audiophile buzzwords and try to provide some meaningful context to these words, while at the same time illustrating how purely subjective reviews can be quite nebulous at times since a particular description may mean different things to different people; even between reviewers and not just the audience reading or watching their reviews. Keep in mind, we are not saying our definitions are the correct ones. It was very impromptu. We didn't talk about the words before. We just shot from the hip and had a conversation. Heck, even we differ in our definitions from time to time. But that's the point of the video. ;)

I had fun doing this and really believe it will be useful in many ways. Not just in providing some more meaningful meat to these terms but also in showing how these words can really be quite obtuse at times, even to fellow reviewers. This hammers home the point that good, objective data is important in relaying performance in a truly meaningful manner. Or, if nothing else, it illustrates why reviewers need to stop leaning solely on crazy adjectives and instead try to provide specific frequency ranges in order to help convey what they heard.

Joe decided to split this up over 7 parts rather than drop the whole video because people would probably get bored pretty quick. I agree. So far parts 1 - 3 are up, linked below:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Interesting discussion. Some of the words you guys go over are technical and have a precise meaning. Some of them are so subjective that they could mean anything. Many of those words I avoid using in my own reviews. If I use some subjective term, I make sure to describe it in a concrete way that anyone could understand.

One phrase that I think is hilarious in audio reviews is "step, pacing, and rhythm." I don't think you see this much anymore though. But how does audio equipment affect those things which are aspects of the musical performance? Audiophiles can be the biggest numbskulls sometimes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting discussion. Some of the words you guys go over are technical and have a precise meaning. Some of them are so subjective that they could mean anything. Many of those words I avoid using in my own reviews. If I use some subjective term, I make sure to describe it in a concrete way that anyone could understand.

One phrase that I think is hilarious in audio reviews is "step, pacing, and rhythm." I don't think you see this much anymore though. But how does audio equipment affect those things which are aspects of the musical performance? Audiophiles can be the biggest numbskulls sometimes.
What, PRaT is gone mostly now? I thought it alive and well....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Will check out your vids....altho I recently removed joe from my subscriptions I will reinstate just for this

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What, PRaT is gone mostly now? I thought it alive and well....
You corrected me again, that is twice in one evening! Yes, Pacing, rhythm, and timing is what I meant. I haven't seen it lately, but then I rarely bother with subjective parts of audio reviews.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You corrected me again, that is twice in one evening! Yes, Pacing, rhythm, and timing is what I meant. I haven't seen it lately, but then I rarely bother with subjective parts of audio reviews.
Just like having your back? (wait, that sounds very wrong....:) ). PRaT is also an appropriate brit slang description, of course, so I do like using it. I do see it mentioned among the cable crowd still....

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

Let me expand on this... Its called PRaT...Pace, Rhythm and Timing .used to describe the sound of turntables by the audiophool community. There's one more.. micro dynamics.. where audiphools can hear minute speed variations as the needle drags through the record groove. I got myself removed from the Hoffman forum because I called him on his BS, that and cables. There loss as I dont want to be associated with the biggest purveyor of snake oil. I will lose total respect for you if you condone such nonsense but I know I don't have to worry. :) I've even seen the term PRaT used to describe interconnects. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Let me expand on this... Its called PRaT...Pace, Rhythm and Timing... I will lose total respect for you if you condone such nonsense but I know I don't have to worry.
Uh oh! That sounds like a dare! Here is an excerpt from my next subwoofer review:
"...While I felt the subwoofer's microdynamics were superb, I did hear some serious problem's with the sub's pacing, rhythm, and timing. One example of that could be heard in percussion on 'Any Color You Like' from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Normally, the drums maintain a perfect synchronization with the rhythm of the bass guitar, but on this subwoofer, Mason's drumming kept on getting ahead of the guitarist's rhythm and then fell too slow in an attempt to compensate for the mistake. The sub seemingly just would not allow the band's usual excellent coordination and harmony to occur. Member's of the band seemed to be individually operating to their own metronome, and the overall rhythm turned into a mess on this subwoofer. For whatever reason, the subwoofer was not able to keep the timing of any prog rock album at all..."

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Uh oh! That sounds like a dare! Here is an excerpt from my next subwoofer review:
"...While I felt the subwoofer's microdynamics were superb, I did hear some serious problem's with the sub's pacing, rhythm, and timing. One example of that could be heard in percussion on 'Any Color You Like' from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Normally, the drums maintain a perfect synchronization with the rhythm of the bass guitar, but on this subwoofer, Mason's drumming kept on getting ahead of the guitarist's rhythm and then fell too slow in an attempt to compensate for the mistake. The sub seemingly just would not allow the band's usual excellent coordination and harmony to occur. Member's of the band seemed to be individually operating to their own metronome, and the overall rhythm turned into a mess on this subwoofer. For whatever reason, the subwoofer was not able to keep the timing of any prog rock album at all..."
Your review reads like it was written last millennium when you use the obsolete term microdynamics instead of the refined and modern nanodynamics.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you suggesting that we shy away from those big flabby 10" and larger drivers and go with 8" and smaller drivers on our subs to achieve sub 20 Hz performance while keeping PRaT? Atta boy!!!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your review reads like it was written last millennium when you use the obsolete term microdynamics instead of the refined and modern nanodynamics.
I thought it was all quantum now.....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis