audiophile cd player at fair price

G

<font color='#000000'>Have seen new DVD players on the market with 24 bit DAC's and run at 196 KHZ (hope I have it right). I understand that these machines will play almost any CD and seem to be very cheap considering the new more powerful DAC's. Would I be as well off to use one of these new DVD's rather than buying a more expensive CD player? I know that audiophile CD players have more attention paid to transport quality, vibration isolation, audio amplifier and possibly power supply quality concerns than many other decks. Yet, a current technology audiophile grade CD player is an expensive proposition especially when the processing power may not be much better than that in a new $100 DVD player. What thoughts do you have on this subject?</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>There is a little-known, never-advertised fact that most cheap (under $750 or so) DVD players make terrible CD players. &nbsp;First, the width of a DVD player's laser beam is different from a CD player's, and the digital sampling is set by an internal clock that has a different rate. &nbsp;In simple terms, the was a DVD player reads a CD is wrong from the start. &nbsp;It's not distortion in the music, but you don't hear things the way they should be heard.

A simple $200 single-disc player from many name brand manufacturers with an optical digital output, matched with a nice processor and amplifier do an excellent job without breaking the bank too much. &nbsp;Steer clear of DVD Video players for doing things other than playing DVD Video.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis