Audioholics Forum Redesign

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Guys;

We are about 1-2 weeks away from a complete redesign of the Audioholics Forum. We are moving to Xenforo as Vbulletin is proven to be a dead platform.

I recognize forums in general are a dying breed as everyone is moving towards social media. Heck our Facebook page is one of the biggest in the AV industry and has A LOT more activity and engagement than this forum does.

I'm hoping this change will be the right step forward for us and help bring some much needed life back to the forum and better organization as well.

Here is a preview of the new Audioholics Forum
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/xf/

BTW reputation system can't be preserved but we will still have custom forum titles and thank you system.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting. Not enough to get a good feel for it, but change is always good (I think).

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
BTW reputation system can't be preserved but we will still have custom forum titles and thank you system.
No red chicklet hell? No signing Adam's name to really inappropriate comments? I guess we could always talk about audio. Is Norway still going to be allowed to post? :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I would never imagine one could go to Facepalm book and post detailed plans for design for amazing DIY (cough ER18 cough) speakers or discuss subwoofer's driver T/S parameters and box models

Activity and engagement is not same thing as quality content or great advice. Some organization already realized that - http://www.m-journal.cz/files/2013 petr/kveten/unicef_likes_1.jpg

or here:

That said if only all the folks which come here and ask which brand cables or which DAC to buy would do in on Facebook - I wont mind at all

btw: New forum looks slick. I would weep dearly for rep system, but somehow survive (shocking, I know) .
But I hope we wont loose some core functionality like unread topics list, search system, Sticky posts, Votes and integration with Tapatalk.

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I will be happy to see the rep system gone...

New site looks nice.

I can NOT stand facebook, as I always say its going to be the ruination of civilization, I just know it...

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Tapatalk will be supported with the new forum. Also our Like system will have more features than what our current system has.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
oh, I must already use it then because I use my smart phone on here...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I do not, and do not intend to, farcebook.
I agree. I just had a look at the Audioholics Facebook page and its a scatterbrained mess.

I have a Facebook account but hardly use it. I'm not a twittering twot and don't intend to become one.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I agree. I just had a look at the Audioholics Facebook page and its a scatterbrained mess.

I have a Facebook account but hardly use it. I'm not a twittering twot and don't intend to become one.
As much as I'm not a fan of FB, it's an absolute necessity for business. It is helping to sustain our business model for the editorial site and it has a lot more visibility than this forum. Most people like the instant gratification of seeing a picture and making a comment as opposed to engaging in a thread like this. I guess you can consider facebook the MP3 of social media and forums would be Vinyl :)

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Will archives of the forums still be around? There's a lot of excellent five-year old discussions that I'd hate to see get lost.

Anyways viva forums. Most of the time I feel like things I say on facebook etc, if I bother to say them, are lost within moments of being said, and never actually read by anyone interested. It's a feeling of talking to a literal wall.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I feel like there are a lot less people "discussing" on all the audio forums, I am not sure if this is due to, people not liking forums, or not as many people looking into "high end" audio? I have also noticed less people at shows {not all of them} and less traffic in the hi fi shops... Also used gear seems to be going for a little less... Its not a dramatic dip but I can tell there are less people involved in the hobby lately... Other hobbies I have seem to be growing, Hunting and long range shooting have never been stronger, hot rods and classic cars are VERY strong right now, ect...

I used to log onto AH in themorning and look at the "recent threads" link and there would be at least a full page if not 2 and lately you are lucky if theres 5 or 6 in the list... Also we used to get at least 1 "what system should I buy for X amount" and now then are few and far between compared to my memory of recent past...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis