Audioholics’ Top Eight $800 Bookshelf Speaker Picks for 2021

M

mdinno

Junior Audioholic
Just a tad too expensive to qualify, but they would certainly have made a $1k recommended bookshelf speaker list.
The Ascend Sierra 1 actually cost just as much. That's why I made the comment.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I’m not trying to start something here, just want people to understand where I’m coming from.

I agree. The chances of getting a bad speaker are fairly remote. However for me personally, even if I disregard the one time that it did happen to me, I’m still not going to buy something with a poor warranty for 2 reasons – 1) Why should I foot the bill for something that’s not my fault? and 2) A poor warranty tells me the manufacturer knows there’s a weak spot(s) in the product. If the manufacturer doesn’t have faith in their own product, why would I? I'm sure there are others that have the same reasoning I do so I’ve got to think Martin Logans’ poor warranty has cost them sales, and it’s damaged their reputation. Unfortunate. Not a wise move in my opinion.
The speakers being dropped accidently during shipping could cause damage to the drivers before it even reaches the customers hands. Just to put it into perspective, buying used speakers off of Craiglist or EBay gives one the same kind of no driver replacement warranty but for far less money. Does anyone want to purchase new speakers from a company like that?

rick88

rick88

Audiophyte
Coming in at $780/pr the Chane L3 should easily be on the list. The combination of the quality of components used, absolutely rock solid cabinets (each speaker weighs 26.5 lbs), and most importantly the sound is the best I've owned under $1k. And I've owned a lot of speakers in my time. :)

20210402_132343.jpg

Last edited:
N

NJB

Audiophyte
The Elacs are on sale at AMZN for $420 from $860. Hadn't planned to drop $$ ona speaker today - looking to repair my old KEF 103.2s - but may have to pull the trigger! :)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The Elacs are on sale at AMZN for $420 from $860. Hadn't planned to drop $$ ona speaker today - looking to repair my old KEF 103.2s - but may have to pull the trigger! :)
Funny you should mention those. Check out my KEF 103.2 rebuild thread. The crossovers were in such good condition that I ended up leaving the original capacitors in place. They were mostly used for the protection circuitry any way. Have to be careful with the bextrene cones on the woofers. It can get brittle with age and I had to patch one spot. These were pretty rough when I got them but sounded wonderful. Very warm tone that produces little ear fatigue. I could listen to them for hours. Ended up giving them to my daughter out east and she is still enjoying them. Feel free to post in the rebuild thread if you have any questions.

N

NJB

Audiophyte
Funny you should mention those. Check out my KEF 103.2 rebuild thread. The crossovers were in such good condition that I ended up leaving the original capacitors in place. They were mostly used for the protection circuitry any way. Have to be careful with the bextrene cones on the woofers. It can get brittle with age and I had to patch one spot. These were pretty rough when I got them but sounded wonderful. Very warm tone that produces little ear fatigue. I could listen to them for hours. Ended up giving them to my daughter out east and she is still enjoying them. Feel free to post in the rebuild thread if you have any questions.
Thanks for your reply. Part of the reason I joined the Forum was to compliment you on your rebuild - great work!
I bought my 103.2s in 1986 but stored them improperly for years & if I recall, have a cracked woofer (but cabinets are fine). Gonna get the Elacs because (1) Andrew Jones (KEF) is there; (2) an Amazon rave review that mentioned his KEFs but also the Boston Acoustics I once owned; & finally, (3) because I may never get around to rehabbing the KEF 103s! :) Also gonna retire, or donate to my son's dorm room, my 1986 Yamaha RX900U - great receiver bu unsuitable to today's AV hookups. I remember that the KEFs took some volume to really sing which will likely be less of an issue with a college frosh then a 63 y/o geezer!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for your reply. Part of the reason I joined the Forum was to compliment you on your rebuild - great work!
I bought my 103.2s in 1986 but stored them improperly for years & if I recall, have a cracked woofer (but cabinets are fine). Gonna get the Elacs because (1) Andrew Jones (KEF) is there; (2) an Amazon rave review that mentioned his KEFs but also the Boston Acoustics I once owned; & finally, (3) because I may never get around to rehabbing the KEF 103s! :) Also gonna retire, or donate to my son's dorm room, my 1986 Yamaha RX900U - great receiver bu unsuitable to today's AV hookups. I remember that the KEFs took some volume to really sing which will likely be less of an issue with a college frosh then a 63 y/o geezer!
Thanks. :) That is a good deal on the Elacs.

The Yamaha is a great receiver and would work well for a music setup. My daughter is using an older Yamaha receiver with the KEFs that I gave her. If you decide to go ahead with the KEFs someone posted a link to KEF parts in my rebuild thread, so you might be able to repair the woofer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis