Audio, Video and CAT5

pieroxy

pieroxy

Enthusiast
Hi,

I was looking at a cheap and convenient way to carry audio and video signals over long distance (around 20m, 66ft). I stumbled over these:
http://www.svideo.com/svideobalun.html
http://www.kvms.com/nav/item.asp?item=8560
http://www.hometech.com/video/videopwr.html
http://www.videocapturecard.com/svideobalun2.html
etc...
Very cheap given the price of CAT5 these days... Of course, they advertise runs up to 1000ft (300m), but I guess if they sell it for these distances, I can probably do it with only 60ft. It looks fine and convenient (one cable for video+audio)

Has anyone tried these? Do they work fine?

Additionally, since I'm on a tight budget and I want to carry over other signals as well (USB, SPDIF, RS232, etc...), I was wondering if anyone know how it works? Where could I get DIY guide/schema for changing a cable's impedance?

M

Martin_S

Enthusiast
Keep in mind that it's not just a matter of impedance. A balun provides a balanced circuit for the signal's long haul, something that can better handle unshielded twisted pair, nomatter the distance. You still might be able to use standard a/v cables for 60-ish feet, provided they're well made (like Bluejeans' stuff).

Having said that, I use the Muxlab digital audio baluns (purchased from Hometech) on a 45-foot run of cat 5 to get from a PC w/M-Audio Sonica Theater in the basement to the HT receiver in the family room. It works great with one exception. I have an old Proceed DA that does not like being fed by that line. It can't sync up. But my Denon 3805 and M-Audio CO3 like it just fine.

As for analog A/V, I haven't tried any baluns yet, but I'm considering one for s-video and stereo audio (to feed the output of a sat receiver to other areas). Take note of the specs. I noticed on the analog audio balun from Muxlab that the 3dB rolloff points are 60Hz - 20kHz for less than 1,000ft of cable. That's an octave and a half off the bottom. And it's 100Hz - 20kHz for over 1,000ft. More than 2 octaves. I suspect most household applications won't involve runs over 100-150 feet, though. Plus I'm talking about the output of a sat receiver going to a 13" TV in my wife's sewing room.

Just be sure you check the specs. I think that these baluns are fine for "zone 2" applications, but perhaps not for critical listening and viewing.

pieroxy

pieroxy

Enthusiast
This is the usage I intend. It will be used to connect my htpc to my TV for casual viewing, while critical viewing will be done through a HDMI link. Audio will transit on that thing as well, but on the form of SPDIF. Given the digital nature of SPDIF, if it goes through, I won't loose anything.

Is it possible to build one with cheap components? I didn't find any for SPDIF...

M

Martin_S

Enthusiast
I don't know what componentry is involved exactly. It looks like there's only 1 or 2 other components beyond what I presume is a 75-ohm to 110-ohm transformer, but I can't tell what they are. Everything is encapsulated in cloudy hardened plastic.

M

Martin_S

Enthusiast
Privateer said:
Buy your cables from www.bluejeanscable.com and be done with it.
You're assuming he has a means to run them from point A to point B. For houses that are already wired with Cat 5, baluns provide a means of getting the job done without tearing the house apart.

Also, as good as Blue Jeans' stuff is, unbalanced cables/circuits are doing through brute force (keeping out EMI/RFI with bulky shielding) what balanced circuits do naturally (nullify EMI/RFI with Common Mode Rejection). This matters when you're faced with longer runs.

Funny you should mention it, though. As I type this, a box from Blue Jeans has just arrived with a bunch of custom-length interconnects that'll clean up the back of the equipment rack, and allow me, finally, to hook up the TV via component. :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
My opinion is that in the next 5 years or so there will be a phase out in the commercial wiring world from RGB analog cabling to CAT-5 balanced cabling. Switchers from Extron will terminate using CAT-5 and new plasmas & projectors will have CAT-5 inputs.

Heck, Crestron has a CAT-5 switcher that transmits component, s-video, or composite over CAT-5 and users can select, on the fly, what they want to watch. So, from the head end they can use 1-piece of CAT-5 to send HDTV component video, or to monitor the composite video cameras. Pretty nifty.

I worked out the price savings during NEW construction to be about $10,000.00 Retrofit would be far more due to labor savings.

pieroxy

pieroxy

Enthusiast
Privateer said:
Buy your cables from www.bluejeanscable.com and be done with it.
With a home-made balun, I could use 1 CAT5 to transport svideo, spdif and usb. Blukiness is also a matter here. Not mentionning I already have said cat5 inside the walls as Martin_S mentioned ;)

Anyone has an idea of where I could get the schematics of such a thing? I really need to build one myself for I have a bunch of connection one can't find a balun for... (spdif and usb)

M

Martin_S

Enthusiast
pieroxy said:
I really need to build one myself for I have a bunch of connection one can't find a balun for... (spdif and usb)
In my first post, I mentioned that I was using a digital audio balun. Although I didn't specifically say SPDIF, that's what it's for--SPDIF, coaxial, 75-ohm, unbalanced digital audio... whatever you wan to call it.

Check it out here:
http://www.muxlab.com/products/ve_avd_digital_balun.html

...and you can buy them at Hometech.

As far as long distance USB over Cat 5, I'm not sure about that one. Maybe those that make KVM extenders (keyboard, video, mouse extenders, which run over Cat 5) might have something for USB. But with baluns for video, analog audio, and SPDIF, as well as plain ol' ethernet for data, what's left to extend? In other words, why do you need extended USB? Just curious.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis