Audio system hardware advice

V

Vbort44

Audiophyte
What do you guys think of this set up? It's a large, square room with bookshelves and NO room for a normal sized sub. This is the product of my 5 hours of net research. Your expertise would really be appreciated.

Sub: YST-FSW150BL 130W Down Firing Subwoofer Yamaha

R/L speakers: Lsi9 bookshelves - polkaudio

Center: LSiC - polkaudio

Rear/Surrounds: LSiF/X - polkaudio

Receiver: Yamaha RX-797 receiver

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
It looks like you have a competent component audio system on your hands, congrats! You've made some good choices. Namely you didn't decide to go HTiB, which means you can upgrade any one part anytime you want, if you decide to - not that you should.

The more important question is... what do you think of your audio system?

Are you enjoying it?

V

Vbort44

Audiophyte
Wow, thanks for the validation Wayde.

Here's the thing, and I should have probably been more clear in my inital post, I haven't yet purchased the equipment. What I'm trying to understand is if this is a good price for my price range.

I would conclude 'yes' from your response, but I'd also be interested to hear what some of the others in the community think. Do you all agree with Wayde, thoughts?

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
For starters, the receiver is stereo, you need an A/V unit (5/7.1). While the speakers are quality units, they are rated at a 4 ohm impedance which really requires a decent, robust receiver or a separate amp. How large is your room? That sub is barely decent enough for music in a small room, let alone obtaining any decent low-end grunt for a good HT experience.

Sorry to rain a little, but them's the facts. Provide us with a budget and size issues so we can help put something together for you.

V

Vbort44

Audiophyte
Thanks for the straight truth AVRat.

Why do I need A/V for just music? Also get a good deal on a Yamaha RX-V1700 for $400.00, but I don't need all of the functionality. I only need to play music. Thoughts?

My budget is about 3 grand - the room is about 15 ftx15 ft and 12 ft ceilings... It is also not a closed off room and is open to the kitchen and a large staircase.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the straight truth AVRat.

Why do I need A/V for just music? Also get a good deal on a Yamaha RX-V1700 for $400.00, but I don't need all of the functionality. I only need to play music. Thoughts?

My budget is about 3 grand - the room is about 15 ftx15 ft and 12 ft ceilings... It is also not a closed off room and is open to the kitchen and a large staircase.
I'm confused - If you only need it for music - why did you wanted to buy 5.1 setup? Planning to use multi-channel DVD-A/SACD ???
If so you still need 5.1 AVR like Avrat mentioned. However typically for music only listening get only 2 good speakers. 3 grands minus stereo receiver will surely get you into Salk SongTower-QWT category - http://www.salksound.com/songtower home.htm
But you target is multi-channel music you'll want to have all your 5 speakers to be identical. For example 5x Ascend Sierra-1 speakers will cost you about $2200

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Another thing to consider if the speaks are being placed in/on bookshelves, it is best if their design is sealed or front ported, which the LSi-9s are. Depending on your musical tastes, they should provide enough bass as well. A receiver worth considering is the Outlaw RR-2150.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis