Audio system for bathroom

K

kyeo138

Audiophyte
Hello everyone, I was hoping some of you might give me some ideas for my bathroom. We're totally remodeling it this summer, and I'd like to put in at least 4 speakers recessed in the ceiling and/or walls. I'd also like (possibly in-wall) a receiver, but not in the traditional sense. Really more of an amp, that is bluetooth compatible, with a volume control and 1/8" input jack.

Everything will need to be water proof/resistant, so i'm looking at mainly marine-grade stuff. I was even looking at a small sub to put under the shower bench :)

Might an aftermarket car stereo receiver with a DC converter work? Anyone ever do anything like this? It shouldn't be too complicated as a DIY. Any ideas, no matter how crazy will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jake

ps - Forgot to mention, the new bathroom will be about 160sqft.

Last edited:
J

jotham

Audioholic
For my bathroom remodel, I put in 2 ceiling speakers, ran the wiring to a small wall cabinet which housed an audiosource AMP 100 hooked to an ipod. Very straighforward and easy to source. If I had it to do over again, I would probably use bluetooth instead and stream from my phone.

I'm just not sure that aiming for a waterproof setup is all that necessary. Plus, water and electronics are best separated.

That said, if you really feel you need waterproof then I would look to the boating stereo head units that are out there. Obviously all boat stuff is designed to be splash proof at a minimum.

Based on my experience, you probably only need two decent sized speakers. My two speakers easily can overwhelm the space, especially because bathrooms usually have closed doors (please!)

A subwoofer is more problematic because if you do in-wall, then you need another amp with breathing room for the sub. If you have a cut-out that houses a sub with built-in amp, that's easier to service but also needs some breathing room and/or a fan to keep the amp cool. I think you'll find the novelty of a sub wears out pretty fast but I'll include some links with different options for a small sub that has everything and an in-shower sub with an external amp.

Some example components.
You might not need a sub with these ceiling speakers
AudioSource AC8C Custom 8" Ceiling 2-Way Speaker Pair 301-324
Ceiling Speakers in the Home Audio / Video Department at Parts Express | 1934

simple amps
AudioSource AMP100 2-Ch Source Switching Power Amplifier 302-601

A smaller one that might be a lot easier to install (hide). While it does have decent power ratings, I'm not sure it would have robust deep end power.
Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Amplifier 50 WPC Provides Power To Computer Speakers, Bookshelf Speakers, Headphones, And More! 300-383

Bluetooth modules for attaching to amp.
Battery Powered Bluetooth Audio Receiver w/Power Supply 320-354

different sub options
in-wall sub
MTX CT800SW 8" In-Wall Subwoofer 301-868

in-shower sub
Kenwood KFC-W254MRW 10" Marine 700W Subwoofer 267-4604

amp to power either, I would just use another Amp 100 to power the sub.
AudioSource AMP100 2-Ch Source Switching Power Amplifier 302-601

self-contained sub, either of these would be great in a bathroom
Dayton Audio SUB-800 8" 80 Watt Powered Subwoofer 300-627
Dayton Audio SUB-1000 10" 100 Watt Powered Subwoofer 300-628

good luck,

Jotham

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Not to hijack, but I figure I could supplement and bump the thread.

I'd also like to add some speakers in my bathroom. It a decent sized bathroom, but I think 2 of the 8" or 6.5" coaxials will be fine. Not looking for a ton, just something better than listening through my phone speaker lol.

I'd really like to be able to just turn my Bluetooth on, connect to the module/amp and play through the speakers when I'm playing Spotify/Pandora/etc. Are these the only things I'd need you think? (beside speaker wire obviously)

Amp: Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Amplifier 50 WPC Provides Power To Computer Speakers, Bookshelf Speakers, Headphones, And More! 300-383

BT Module: Battery Powered Bluetooth Audio Receiver w/Power Supply 320-354

Speakers: Not sure on these yet

Last edited:
J

jotham

Audioholic
Not to hijack, but I figure I could supplement and bump the thread.

I'd also like to add some speakers in my bathroom. It a decent sized bathroom, but I think 2 of the 8" or 6.5" coaxials will be fine. Not looking for a ton, just something better than listening through my phone speaker lol.

I'd really like to be able to just turn my Bluetooth on, connect to the module/amp and play through the speakers when I'm playing Spotify/Pandora/etc. Are these the only things I'd need you think? (beside speaker wire obviously)

Amp: Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Amplifier 50 WPC Provides Power To Computer Speakers, Bookshelf Speakers, Headphones, And More! 300-383

BT Module: Battery Powered Bluetooth Audio Receiver w/Power Supply 320-354

Speakers: Not sure on these yet

Yep, I think that's all you need. I would go with 6 1/2" coaxials just because the smaller Dayton amp probably would run out of steam with the 8" ones.

Dayton Audio CS620EC 6-1/2" 2-Way Enclosed Ceiling Speaker 300-417

I like these speakers because they are enclosed so their bass response should be better than a typical ceiling speaker. Of course, you would need to make sure you have the room to mount them but they look pretty nice.

Bathrooms have kind of odd acoustics so I tried a couple of different EQ settings on my iPod and there was one of them that sounded natural with vocals yet still had decent bass. So, if you can, try some different EQ settings on your phone.

Jotham

E

einteractive

Audiophyte
Audio system for bathroom is a great option to enjoy your bath while listening to the music. I would just like to add that for those of you that are not in the know, KB Sound is the company that make bathroom or kitchen radio systems that go through a hole in the ceiling like that of a down light.

A

avengineer

Banned
Several manufacturers make speakers designed for high humidity applications like bathrooms and spa rooms. Sonance, for example, has their "Original Series Medium Extreme" speakers and "Visual Performance" series, both designed to hold up well under humid or wet conditions. There are other manufacturers that do the same, just takes a bit of research.

For the ultimate bathroom, check out the Kohler DTV 2 shower control that has an integrated Roku player in it (as well as digital shower temp control). Their showers have water proof speakers of course.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
I put speakers in my bathroom last year. I ran a long 4-conductor speaker cable from the living room receiver, inside the wall to the attic, across the attic, to the bathroom, then down from the ceiling. Instead of making 2 holes in the ceiling, I used paintable speaker raceway across the top of the wall. The speakers are Energy Take LCR and I mounted them above the porcelain throne. They have a special mounting bracket which allows the angle to be changed, usually left-right when mounted vertically, but when mounted horizontally, the angle is up and down. I angled as far down as the bracket would allow. They are connected to "Zone B" of the receiver. Now I can shower while listening to some sweet Judas Priest - You've Got Another Thing Comin.

3zones

Enthusiast
I put speakers in my bathroom last year. I ran a long 4-conductor speaker cable from the living room receiver, inside the wall to the attic, across the attic, to the bathroom, then down from the ceiling. Instead of making 2 holes in the ceiling, I used paintable speaker raceway across the top of the wall. The speakers are Energy Take LCR and I mounted them above the porcelain throne. They have a special mounting bracket which allows the angle to be changed, usually left-right when mounted vertically, but when mounted horizontally, the angle is up and down. I angled as far down as the bracket would allow. They are connected to "Zone B" of the receiver. Now I can shower while listening to some sweet Judas Priest - You've Got Another Thing Comin.
I just added some inceilings to my master suite as well. I ran about 100 feet of wire for each zone to each speaker from the head end on the main level. Placement took come consideration given the ceilings are 12 feet in the bathroom and bedroom. I installed impedance matching volume control knobs in each room as well and the key that pulls it all together as a zone 2 set up is the Onky phone/ipad/android app that allows me to select any source or internet streaming service and skip songs plus adjust volume, etc with any android or apple wifi enabled product. I ended up putting one speaker over the shower and one over the tub in this odd shaped room. I ended up going with just regular speakers instead of stereo speakers (the kind that each play both channels). I'm setting up a zone 3 as well and can independently control zone 3 with via the app too.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
that is freakin sweet, especially the controllability.

3zones

Enthusiast
that is freakin sweet, especially the controllability.
The new generation of receivers with wifi and decent control apps is such a massive step forward. The AVR apps can also control your tv via CEC. Of course the TV also has its own phone remote app as well. Instead of expensive control panels in each room, the volume control knobs are all you need. I went ahead and future wired though just in case with Cat5e sitting behind each volume control knob.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis