Audio Streaming newbie advice/options?

Will Brink

Will Brink

Audioholic
Streaming newbie here looking to take the leap.

Still figuring out way to proceed incorporating into my existing system. Unit would connect via my TagMaclarin AVR32r preamp/pro. The Denon DNP-800NE gets good reviews. Not looking for complex needs, just join a streaming service like Amazon HD, connect unit to the net via wifi or hardwire, and play music through main 2.1 system. Not looking to play wireless in other rooms, etc.

What else to consider in the price point that also looks like typical gear vs some odd shaped box some make? Looking for an all in one plug and play unit for sure. I like that the Denon approx shape/size of typical gear vs odd shaped box/design others seem to use that does fit well/looks odd. I wish more would follow Denon's lead in that aspect.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Streaming newbie here looking to take the leap.

Still figuring out way to proceed incorporating into my existing system. Unit would connect via my TagMaclarin AVR32r preamp/pro. The Denon DNP-800NE gets good reviews. Not looking for complex needs, just join a streaming service like Amazon HD, connect unit to the net via wifi or hardwire, and play music through main 2.1 system. Not looking to play wireless in other rooms, etc.

What else to consider in the price point that also looks like typical gear vs some odd shaped box some make? Looking for an all in one plug and play unit for sure. I like that the Denon approx shape/size of typical gear vs odd shaped box/design others seem to use that does fit well/looks odd. I wish more would follow Denon's lead in that aspect.
Welcome.

It is hard to advise you, as you have not said a lot about current needs, and especially futures needs and desires.

I used to be pretty much an audio only guy. I made the leap into AV in 2006. Things were still relatively primitive then. Now the technology and quality of streaming has expanded. I suspect that you are in the UK from the gear you have, but I don't know for sure.

If you want my view, audio only systems have had their day except as office background music systems and similar installations. Now I do not own an audio only system. All my three systems are integrated with video. Apart from giving you more and better equipment options, video adds immensely to the enjoyment of music. More and more orchestras and opera companies are turning to streaming with excellent audio and video. In addition, the BBC, as far as the video is concerned, their iPlayer offers the highest audio quality of all their services and it is excellent.

Once you get past the audio only you have numerous options. Many options can not, or are not fully functional without a screen.

Your current Tag unit is way out of date. There really is a whole exciting new world out there and missing out on adding quality video, to quality audio, even if you are a die hard audio enthusiast is a bad mistake.

Will Brink

Will Brink

Audioholic
Welcome.

It is hard to advise you, as you have not said a lot about current needs, and especially futures needs and desires.

I used to be pretty much an audio only guy. I made the leap into AV in 2006. Things were still relatively primitive then. Now the technology and quality of streaming has expanded. I suspect that you are in the UK from the gear you have, but I don't know for sure.

If you want my view, audio only systems have had their day except as office background music systems and similar installations. Now I do not own an audio only system. All my three systems are integrated with video. Apart from giving you more and better equipment options, video adds immensely to the enjoyment of music. More and more orchestras and opera companies are turning to streaming with excellent audio and video. In addition, the BBC, as far as the video is concerned, their iPlayer offers the highest audio quality of all their services and it is excellent.

Once you get past the audio only you have numerous options. Many options can not, or are not fully functional without a screen.

Your current Tag unit is way out of date. There really is a whole exciting new world out there and missing out on adding quality video, to quality audio, even if you are a die hard audio enthusiast is a bad mistake.
I'm going in the opposite direction. I had the tag pre/pro and the 5 channel amp, both top of the line for the time, but not doing HT any more due to space restraints and such. One reason i chose the Tag stuff was because it does 2ch equally well. I'm focusing more on the 2ch experience, and wanted to add a streamer to my existing system.

HT wise, I'm using wireless headphones with surround which gives an enjoyable experience without the room taken up by HD gear and the SO complaining I'm keeping her up etc.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm going in the opposite direction. I had the tag pre/pro and the 5 channel amp, both top of the line for the time, but not doing HT any more due to space restraints and such. One reason i chose the Tag stuff was because it does 2ch equally well. I'm focusing more on the 2ch experience, and wanted to add a streamer to my existing system.

HT wise, I'm using wireless headphones with surround which gives an enjoyable experience without the room taken up by HD gear and the SO complaining I'm keeping her up etc.
In that case the Denon you picked out is probably as good as anything. I have to say steaming is not as handy as with a screen. Streaming is essentially computer based, so without even a small screen it is not that handy. So in fact probably your best bet is to use any preamp or integrated device that has an HDMI input, then you can just plug in a Chrome-cast device and stream from you tablet or smart phones, both of which have screens. To be honest those stand alone audio streaming devices, are something of a pain, and seem to suffer disproportionately from obsolescence issues.

By the way, all multichannel devices do 2 channel equally well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis