Audio over Electrical LInes

P

pggood

Audiophyte
I've been able to wire my TV room and dining room for sound but cannot get wires to where I want my speakers in the kitchen. I've seen some articles on Homeplug and Powerline audio gadgets which will transfer audio over home electrical lines but can't find any actual products.

Does anyone know if anything like this is available yet?

I've also seen the wireless audio solutions but am skeptical of the quality and range of these products.

Thanks
Phil

I've heard of sending networking over power, but not audio - at least not analogue. This year promises the first round of innovative wireless technology - and it can only get better.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I don't think that would be feasible, due to the freqencies being transmitted over the powerlines. Just a speculation.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
pggood said:
I've been able to wire my TV room and dining room for sound but cannot get wires to where I want my speakers in the kitchen. I've seen some articles on Homeplug and Powerline audio gadgets which will transfer audio over home electrical lines but can't find any actual products.

Does anyone know if anything like this is available yet?

I've also seen the wireless audio solutions but am skeptical of the quality and range of these products.

Thanks
Phil
Our business has an intercom system for the past 4 years (actually it is a baby monitor system) that claims to operate using the building wiring to transmit the sound. I have no clue if it is actually working on that principal. Our EE's thought the units were working as low powered transmitters and recievers. But the weird part is that additional units can be added at a later date without problems (and have been added), and neighbors that have the same brand of system can not recieve your messages. Kind of shots down the low powered transmitter idea.

This system is far from audiophile quality, very noisy and sound quality is quite poor, but it does work reasonably well for those building wide messages trying to locate somebody hiding in the restroom.

Bottom line, the technology is out there, is it pratical for home audio? Don't know for sure. And outside of these baby monitors, have no clue about where such products even exist.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis